Re: What Is The Best Riding Light?

Postby pushbikerider on Fri 6/May/11 9:46pm

happybaboon wrote:
znomit wrote:
happybaboon wrote:

These the same ones?
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Sports/Cycling ... 857311.htm

I'd buy from overseas, but shipping + warranty concerns means I'm not all that keen if someones selling them for only a little markup with buy now's on tardme...


Probably the same. I asked that guy about warranties once, pointing out he was a dealer. He wasn't interested. Plus his shipping from Palmy to Palmy is more expensive than China to Palmy(free). Either go DX and take your chances with quality, or pay a bit more for a gloworm and get 18months warranty. Note DX can take a month or more for shipping.

Edit.... might have been another Palmy guy selling DX lights with no warranty. There so many :)

Warranty essentially means nothing; if it's sold at auction, then the customer has no rights... But if you use the buy now then the consumer guarantees act applies and goods have to be of reasonable quality :)


good luck with tracking down some random tard-me trader though to get your "warranty"
pushbikerider
User avatar
"Gone Riding.........."
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Re: What Is The Best Riding Light?

Postby znomit on Fri 6/May/11 9:48pm

Mickyfinn wrote:what tosh..... if a dealers sells it ( or anyone sells it as new) then they are bound by the consumer guarantees act

Exactly.

Are you related to Farty? If you ever figure out how to quote could you teach him?
znomit
User avatar
Member for: 9 years 6 months

Re: What Is The Best Riding Light?

Postby Mickyfinn on Fri 6/May/11 9:49pm

pushbikerider wrote:
happybaboon wrote:
znomit wrote:
happybaboon wrote:

These the same ones?
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Sports/Cycling ... 857311.htm

I'd buy from overseas, but shipping + warranty concerns means I'm not all that keen if someones selling them for only a little markup with buy now's on tardme...


Probably the same. I asked that guy about warranties once, pointing out he was a dealer. He wasn't interested. Plus his shipping from Palmy to Palmy is more expensive than China to Palmy(free). Either go DX and take your chances with quality, or pay a bit more for a gloworm and get 18months warranty. Note DX can take a month or more for shipping.

Edit.... might have been another Palmy guy selling DX lights with no warranty. There so many :)

Warranty essentially means nothing; if it's sold at auction, then the customer has no rights... But if you use the buy now then the consumer guarantees act applies and goods have to be of reasonable quality :)


good luck with tracking down some random tard-me trader though to get your "warranty"



absolutely don't buy anything expensive on trade me that you can't be sure of.....
Mickyfinn
Member for: 7 years 10 months

Re: What Is The Best Riding Light?

Postby happybaboon on Fri 6/May/11 9:54pm

I don't buy anything substantial from professional-type tardme traders unless I get good contact details/addresses.
happybaboon
User avatar
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 15 years 10 months

Re: What Is The Best Riding Light?

Postby Wobbler on Sat 7/May/11 12:46am

Mickyfinn wrote:
pushbikerider wrote:
happybaboon wrote:
znomit wrote:
happybaboon wrote:

These the same ones?
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Sports/Cycling ... 857311.htm

I'd buy from overseas, but shipping + warranty concerns means I'm not all that keen if someones selling them for only a little markup with buy now's on tardme...


Probably the same. I asked that guy about warranties once, pointing out he was a dealer. He wasn't interested. Plus his shipping from Palmy to Palmy is more expensive than China to Palmy(free). Either go DX and take your chances with quality, or pay a bit more for a gloworm and get 18months warranty. Note DX can take a month or more for shipping.

Edit.... might have been another Palmy guy selling DX lights with no warranty. There so many :)

Warranty essentially means nothing; if it's sold at auction, then the customer has no rights... But if you use the buy now then the consumer guarantees act applies and goods have to be of reasonable quality :)


good luck with tracking down some random tard-me trader though to get your "warranty"



absolutely don't buy anything expensive on trade me that you can't be sure of.....

lol, those lights dont come under the expensive category unless you are a mouth breather
Wobbler
User avatar
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Re: What Is The Best Riding Light?

Postby krisis on Fri 3/Jun/11 1:42pm

Just want to say thanks to Bruce @ Gloworm for the new charger. My old one was running hot, and he noticed my post on that, and sent me a new one gratis ... I didn't even ask for it.

All working great now ... :thumbsup:
krisis
Member for: 12 years 11 months

Re: What Is The Best Riding Light?

Postby TheyLookLikeUs on Thu 9/Jun/11 4:05pm

I am currently building myself a headlamp & mount for mountain biking around Wellington out of some high-power LEDs, mostly because it seemed like a fun project to try and because I think I can get a pretty good light for about $400 less than I could buy one for. I should be able to get somewhere between 750-1000 lumens out of it on full power for 2hrs, which from what I've read should be good for most situations. It'll have a dimmer for road riding etc. to save battery and not blind others.

Do people recommend also having a handlebar light with a wider beam for riding trails? Or is something like that only really useful as a backup on the road? I'm not too concerned about extra weight, it'll just help me get fitter I figure.

Also, could anyone recommend a good rear light/flasher? Something to keep me visible but still pretty cheap, either seat or seatpost mounted?
TheyLookLikeUs
User avatar
Member for: 6 years 6 months

Re: What Is The Best Riding Light?

Postby FLATULENTFRIEND on Thu 9/Jun/11 5:21pm

TheyLookLikeUs wrote:I am currently building myself a headlamp & mount for mountain biking around Wellington out of some high-power LEDs, mostly because it seemed like a fun project to try and because I think I can get a pretty good light for about $400 less than I could buy one for. I should be able to get somewhere between 750-1000 lumens out of it on full power for 2hrs, which from what I've read should be good for most situations. It'll have a dimmer for road riding etc. to save battery and not blind others.

Do people recommend also having a handlebar light with a wider beam for riding trails? Or is something like that only really useful as a backup on the road? I'm not too concerned about extra weight, it'll just help me get fitter I figure.

Also, could anyone recommend a good rear light/flasher? Something to keep me visible but still pretty cheap, either seat or seatpost mounted?


There are plenty of cheap rear lights from a few dollars up. I’ve never found any that are not visable – no particularly dull ones.
FLATULENTFRIEND
User avatar
"I'm a Sponsored rider; My Wife Pays me to get out of the house!"
Member for: 9 years 2 months

Re: What Is The Best Riding Light?

Postby dirtydawg on Thu 9/Jun/11 6:21pm

krisis wrote:Just want to say thanks to Bruce @ Gloworm for the new charger. My old one was running hot, and he noticed my post on that, and sent me a new one gratis ... I didn't even ask for it.

All working great now ... :thumbsup:


You're welcome mate! no probs!
dirtydawg
User avatar
Member for: 14 years 0 months

Re: What Is The Best Riding Light?

Postby znomit on Thu 9/Jun/11 6:48pm

TheyLookLikeUs wrote:I am currently building myself a headlamp & mount for mountain biking around Wellington out of some high-power LEDs, mostly because it seemed like a fun project to try and because I think I can get a pretty good light for about $400 less than I could buy one for. I should be able to get somewhere between 750-1000 lumens out of it on full power for 2hrs, which from what I've read should be good for most situations. It'll have a dimmer for road riding etc. to save battery and not blind others.

Do people recommend also having a handlebar light with a wider beam for riding trails? Or is something like that only really useful as a backup on the road? I'm not too concerned about extra weight, it'll just help me get fitter I figure.

Also, could anyone recommend a good rear light/flasher? Something to keep me visible but still pretty cheap, either seat or seatpost mounted?


You need something else on the bars for when the DIY gremlins turn your helmet light off mid downhill.
If you're DIYing see if you can put a red LED out the back.
You can get a good rear light for 20-30$. Make sure it has AA or AAA batteries as the coin cell ones are expensive to run.
znomit
User avatar
Member for: 9 years 6 months

Re: What Is The Best Riding Light?

Postby fatwombat on Thu 9/Jun/11 7:09pm

TheyLookLikeUs wrote:Do people recommend also having a handlebar light with a wider beam for riding trails? Or is something like that only really useful as a backup on the road? I'm not too concerned about extra weight, it'll just help me get fitter I figure.

Also, could anyone recommend a good rear light/flasher? Something to keep me visible but still pretty cheap, either seat or seatpost mounted?

For tail lights, I got these flexible things from R&R Sport ($24.95) - they have a little shock-cord loop that hooks around the seatpost. They are great because if you crash your MTB, they don't break or fall off like the brittle plastic clip-on lights. They have steady and flashing modes so you can be as visible as you want.
tail light R&R.JPG


We always run a low power bar light aimed just in front of the front wheel as well as the strong helmet light; we find them particularly good on switchbacks where you are looking around the corner (so that's where your main light is pointing) but you want to have peripheral vision to know exactly where your front wheel is tracking.

My main light is a Cygolite MityLED 300 which has a narrow focus 300 lumen beam so I need the extra illumination most of the time. My daughter has a 1200 lumen Nitelights destroyer which is a much wider beam. She says she doesn't need the handlebar light much while descending with the light on full beam, but if she switches it to half-power while climbing she finds the handlebar light to be very helpful.
fatwombat
User avatar
"Our planet is the mental institution of the universe. - Goethe"
Member for: 8 years 3 months

Re: What Is The Best Riding Light?

Postby gristle on Thu 9/Jun/11 7:24pm

TheyLookLikeUs wrote:I am currently building myself a headlamp & mount for mountain biking around Wellington out of some high-power LEDs, mostly because it seemed like a fun project to try and because I think I can get a pretty good light for about $400 less than I could buy one for. I should be able to get somewhere between 750-1000 lumens out of it on full power for 2hrs, which from what I've read should be good for most situations. It'll have a dimmer for road riding etc. to save battery and not blind others.

Do people recommend also having a handlebar light with a wider beam for riding trails? Or is something like that only really useful as a backup on the road? I'm not too concerned about extra weight, it'll just help me get fitter I figure.

Also, could anyone recommend a good rear light/flasher? Something to keep me visible but still pretty cheap, either seat or seatpost mounted?


What are you using in your main light?
I just made a new light using a 3up all in one from Lux RC in Russia. Great having the driver on the metal PCB instead of having to find a home for it as well.
Was about 100NZ to the door.
http://lux-rc.com/view.php
gristle
Member for: 11 years 1 month

Re: What Is The Best Riding Light?

Postby TheyLookLikeUs on Thu 9/Jun/11 8:59pm

gristle wrote:What are you using in your main light?
I just made a new light using a 3up all in one from Lux RC in Russia. Great having the driver on the metal PCB instead of having to find a home for it as well.
Was about 100NZ to the door.
http://lux-rc.com/view.php


I'm using three Luxeon LEDs with their recommended driver, hooked into a dimmer circuit. I'll be mounting it on a custom aluminium heatsink/helmet mount. I'll keep a rechargeable AA battery pack in my backpack. It won't be terribly waterproof but I tend not to ride in the rain and I don't often get splashes up to my head!

fatwombat wrote:For tail lights, I got these flexible things from R&R Sport ($24.95) - they have a little shock-cord loop that hooks around the seatpost. They are great because if you crash your MTB, they don't break or fall off like the brittle plastic clip-on lights. They have steady and flashing modes so you can be as visible as you want.

We always run a low power bar light aimed just in front of the front wheel as well as the strong helmet light; we find them particularly good on switchbacks where you are looking around the corner (so that's where your main light is pointing) but you want to have peripheral vision to know exactly where your front wheel is tracking.

My main light is a Cygolite MityLED 300 which has a narrow focus 300 lumen beam so I need the extra illumination most of the time. My daughter has a 1200 lumen Nitelights destroyer which is a much wider beam. She says she doesn't need the handlebar light much while descending with the light on full beam, but if she switches it to half-power while climbing she finds the handlebar light to be very helpful.


Thanks, are these AA or AAA? They sound pretty good to me as I am a bit crash-happy... I may try and build a small bar light out of my spare LEDs; just to see how it goes. Otherwise I think a fairly cheap bar mount should do me. Thanks to all the advice above as well :thumbsup:
TheyLookLikeUs
User avatar
Member for: 6 years 6 months

Re: What Is The Best Riding Light?

Postby fatwombat on Fri 10/Jun/11 6:15am

TheyLookLikeUs wrote:
fatwombat wrote:For tail lights, I got these flexible things from R&R Sport ($24.95) - they have a little shock-cord loop that hooks around the seatpost. They are great because if you crash your MTB, they don't break or fall off like the brittle plastic clip-on lights. They have steady and flashing modes so you can be as visible as you want.


Thanks, are these AA or AAA? They sound pretty good to me as I am a bit crash-happy... I may try and build a small bar light out of my spare LEDs; just to see how it goes. Otherwise I think a fairly cheap bar mount should do me.


The tail lights are not AA or AAA - too small - I haven't looked inside but I assume they are some sort of "coin" battery. So yeah, they are more expensive and complicated to replace, but I decided that was worth the cost because we used to go through a couple of sets of standard plastic ones during a typical winter night riding season. :blush: ... though that's me plus 3 kids, we're not THAT crash happy!!

I see Wiggle in the UK have a Knog Skink LED Rear Lightwhich has a Waterproof Silicon Body, uses 2 x AAA batteries and comes in 6 fashion colours including black, hot pink and transparent for $NZ29.
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/knog-skink-led-rear-light/

For the handlebar light, I'm sure something you build with AAA batteries and LEDs will be fine, as long as you can make a good reflector. We just have fairly basic lights on the bars: I have an old Blackburn Voyager 3.3 and Hannah has something a bit stronger.
fatwombat
User avatar
"Our planet is the mental institution of the universe. - Goethe"
Member for: 8 years 3 months

Cycling | Mountain Biking | Night Riding - Latest Posts

Who is online

53 Users browsing this website: DotBot, Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot] and 49 guests

REMEBER TO CLICK THE LINKS WHEN BUYING FROM VORB SUPPORTERS


  • Merlin Cycles
  • ProBikeKit
  • Vorb Shop
  • Wiggle
  • Chain Reaction Cycles
  • GT Bicycles