Re: What Is The Best Riding Light?

Postby thelivo on Tue 3/May/11 9:13pm

danose wrote:
thelivo wrote:
danose wrote:
the 'upgraded' ayups still suffer from not having a proper driver

Suffer in what way exactly?

light drops with battery voltage - has it's good side (light will 'gracefully decline' rather than the hard cutout on a proper driver) and it's bad (with a driver light will be 100% right up to the end)

also limits how hard they can drive the emitters (then again so does the housing)

So a "proper" driver would mean you were left with darkness suddenly? Awesome.
thelivo
"Jens Voigt's Suitcase of Courage will not fit in the overhead compartment."
Member for: 10 years 4 months

Postby swtchbckr on Tue 3/May/11 9:17pm

danose wrote:
swtchbckr wrote:you want strobe for communting, just get a Deal Extreme one. cheap as chips and the strobe blinds drivers from a good km away

to be honest any of those highpower leds in strobe mode is antisocial - and risking a talking to by the cops.

if all you want is a strobe for commuting there's plenty of cheaper, less battery hungry but still heaps bright options (I've got a 0.5w led on the commuter - bright enough and the 4 AAAs it runs on last a year of commuting).

:withstupid: on this one too. i personally dont use my DX on strobe. i've got what claims to be a 1w (4aaa) light i use communting too.
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 12 years 8 months

Postby danose on Tue 3/May/11 9:20pm

thelivo wrote:
danose wrote:
thelivo wrote:
danose wrote:

light drops with battery voltage - has it's good side (light will 'gracefully decline' rather than the hard cutout on a proper driver) and it's bad (with a driver light will be 100% right up to the end)

also limits how hard they can drive the emitters (then again so does the housing)

anything decent will have full battery management so you'll get some sort of 'fuel gauge' and warning of low charge (and on the NL's a choice between it dropping to a low power 'get me home' mode when really low, or over-riding it if you desperately need 5 mins more of full power to get down that last dh)

i'm not sure if ayup has gone to a proper driver in their new dim-able/flashing packs though (old on/off packs certainly only used a dropping resistor - which is a really non-optimal way to drive a high efficiency led)
danose
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"
Member for: 13 years 6 months

Postby Spokes on Tue 3/May/11 9:35pm

danose wrote:
thelivo wrote:
danose wrote:
thelivo wrote:
danose wrote:

anything decent will have full battery management so you'll get some sort of 'fuel gauge' and warning of low charge (and on the NL's a choice between it dropping to a low power 'get me home' mode when really low, or over-riding it if you desperately need 5 mins more of full power to get down that last dh)

i'm not sure if ayup has gone to a proper driver in their new dim-able/flashing packs though (old on/off packs certainly only used a dropping resistor - which is a really non-optimal way to drive a high efficiency led)

You guys way over think a bike light!! :blink:
Spokes
""Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."--W.C. Fields"
Member for: 12 years 1 month

Postby Mr_Bob on Tue 3/May/11 10:27pm

thorg wrote:
Velocipedestrian wrote:So it seems everyone gives the ups to Ayups or Nightlighting... anyone used the Gloworm lites?
[banner ad on the page suggests they know their market if nothing else]

I have heard good things, but all second hand - I too would be intersted to know who owns a gloworm light.

I use them,
I've sold a lot of them, and have only seen one isolated fault, which was covered under warranty.
Ate my old Topeak moonshine for dust, which cost more than 3x the price!
Mr_Bob
"Pedal!"

Postby krisis on Tue 3/May/11 10:36pm

Mr_Bob wrote:http://www.glowormlites.co.nz :thumbsup:
I use them, I've sold a lot of them, and have only seen one isolated fault, which was covered under warranty.

:withstupid: I purchased a gloworm light last year, which I use for my winter training/commuting light (once daylight savings stops, the light goes on), and it has been excellent. The charger can get a bit hot, but I guess that's par for the course?
krisis
Member for: 12 years 11 months

Postby thorg on Wed 4/May/11 7:42am

swtchbckr wrote:
danose wrote:
swtchbckr wrote:you want strobe for communting, just get a Deal Extreme one. cheap as chips and the strobe blinds drivers from a good km away

to be honest any of those highpower leds in strobe mode is antisocial - and risking a talking to by the cops.

if all you want is a strobe for commuting there's plenty of cheaper, less battery hungry but still heaps bright options (I've got a 0.5w led on the commuter - bright enough and the 4 AAAs it runs on last a year of commuting).

:withstupid: on this one too. i personally dont use my DX on strobe. i've got what claims to be a 1w (4aaa) light i use communting too.
yep - I have one of them style strobes on the front as well - but I ride in an area with LOT of backgound light interferrance, so I want a bigger better strobe. If ayups + small strobe doesn't get me noticed, perhaps a bigger strobe will? It's either that or I go for lead poisoning.
thorg
"what blog?"
Member for: 13 years 6 months

Postby swtchbckr on Wed 4/May/11 9:06am

after reading this thread last night, i checked out the Gloworm site. i reckon thats not a bad price for something with way more comeback and support than DX... i've not had any trouble with my DX light, but i do know people who have, including weird charging issues, batter issues, connection issues... (we brought in about 10-15 or them well over a year ago, and maybe 3 have had failures, but not terminal failures, just things that needed tweaks). But, if i needed one now, i'd probably go for the Gloworm standard one, like Mel above...
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"

Postby swtchbckr on Wed 4/May/11 11:52am

swtchbckr wrote: i've got what claims to be a 1w (4aaa) light i use communting too.

in fact... they who shall not be named have my exact model on sale right now... nice robust rubberised outer too. good light.
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"

Postby integral on Wed 4/May/11 12:32pm

krisis wrote:
Mr_Bob wrote:http://www.glowormlites.co.nz :thumbsup:
I use them, I've sold a lot of them, and have only seen one isolated fault, which was covered under warranty.

:withstupid: I purchased a gloworm light last year, which I use for my winter training/commuting light (once daylight savings stops, the light goes on), and it has been excellent. The charger can get a bit hot, but I guess that's par for the course?

I bought a Gloworm a year ago. It is a great light for the price. I have had 2 issues,
1, when the plastic mounting attachment on the light unit snapped.It was replaced no questions asked
2, My light has developed a strobe like flicker on its low power setting, I have just sent it to Bruce today and I am confident that he will repair or replace.

Good product, good price, great service. Almost unheard of these days!
integral
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Postby RussS on Wed 4/May/11 12:55pm

If I was a serious commuter I would have something like the Magicshine tail light.

Looks nice and bright. Pretty sure Bruce could source them if there was enough demand.
RussS
Member for: 11 years 4 months

Postby znomit on Wed 4/May/11 6:27pm

RussS wrote:If I was a serious commuter I would have something like the Magicshine tail light.

By "like" you mean something as just bright, but somewhat reliable.
znomit
Member for: 9 years 6 months

Postby happybaboon on Thu 5/May/11 9:02pm

happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 15 years 10 months

Postby znomit on Fri 6/May/11 2:08am

happybaboon wrote:Anyone tried these?
http://www.torpedo7.co.nz/products/NPLI ... -power-led

AAA batteries really suck. Plus once you add in batteries, and a charger that will charge three batteries properly(most cheap ones do 2 or 4) you're much better off going for the MS. Cheaper and hugely brighter.
http://www.dealextreme.com/p/mj-808e-ha ... 8650-57100
znomit
Member for: 9 years 6 months

Postby .I. on Fri 6/May/11 8:12am

happybaboon wrote:Anyone tried these?
http://www.torpedo7.co.nz/products/NPLI ... -power-led

3w and a puny 80 lumens for $70.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
.I.
Member for: 7 years 10 months

Cycling | Mountain Biking | Night Riding - Latest Posts