Re: What Tablet

Postby wuffy on Mon 30/May/11 8:55pm

thelivo wrote:
wuffy wrote:For someone like me who needs multi-media support in all formats its rubbish. No SD/CF slots or USB inputs is one of the worst decisions they could've made. Same with the lack of flash support, nearly all online Video is in Flash format so you can't watch half most of the videos online.

Don't expect to be using it for storing anything either, the Hard-drives are miniscule. I know of a photographer over in the UK that uses an Android (I think, definitely a tablet) that sits in his backpack, on idle. He takes a photo, it gets bluetoothed to his Android, and automatically uploaded onto the Web real time. Only downside is that he can only take one photo at a time as bluetooth is quite slow and takes about 20 seconds for a big 20mb photo judging by the speed my Cell Transmits to my MacBook.

If I was looking for an easy to use and simple Tablet.

I'd flag getting a tablet and get a 13 inch MacBook Pro. :thumbsup:

You're missing the point - you aren't the audience the ipad is aimed at. The 13 inch MBP on the other hand you are RIGHT in the sweet spot for, although for photos, the size of the 15 and 17 are amazing. And i do my editing on a 27 inch imac which i :love:

Yes the iPad seems to be for older generation people who want something that can do a few things well. Less fidgety bits for tired minds to struggle with I suppose :p

I have the 15 inch Pro, same size as an a4 page which is perfect. Can tuck in my backpack when travelling and take it to uni.
wuffy
Member for: 8 years 5 months

Postby Slapheid on Mon 30/May/11 10:45pm

Mmmmmm, Tablet...

Scottish Tablet.JPG

Slapheid
"Good things come to those who gate."
Member for: 7 years 7 months

Postby northernmonkey on Mon 30/May/11 11:40pm

Slapheid wrote:Mmmmmm, Tablet...

Scottish Tablet.JPG

:lol:
northernmonkey
"The North will Rise Again"
Member for: 10 years 9 months

Postby Simonius_Titius on Wed 8/Jun/11 9:56pm

happybaboon wrote:
Joel wrote:the Acer Iconia has just hit the shops... thought that was honeycomb goodness?

Acer are poose.

Other android tablet makers will eventually do good I'm sure. But everything Acer makes is crappy.

Acer laptops are OK, they have some good flexible disaster recovery stuff built in - separate data partition, option of factory restore, snapshot or backup.

Knowing nothing about tablets but yonks with PCs/laptops, I suggest forget about the purchase price and think in terms of an annual depreciation budget and a replacement schedule. Think of a meh old model and an embarrassing piece of old poo, and how old each are and what their original and resale prices are.
That gives some idea of what your replacement interval will be, so now you can convert a purchase price into annual cost. Apart from steps in technology, if you need higher performance then it is generally better to upgrade more frequently rather than to purchase higher end models.
Simonius_Titius
"The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off. - Gloria Steinem"
Member for: 8 years 0 months

Postby Oli on Wed 8/Jun/11 11:45pm

lol Ferrari :D
Oli
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Postby bugle on Thu 9/Jun/11 11:20am

Simonius_Titius wrote:Acer laptops are OK, they have some good flexible disaster recovery stuff built in - separate data partition, option of factory restore, snapshot or backup.

:blink: :blink: :blink:

I think you've strayed into a parallel universe Si, in this dimension Acer are utter shite. The only people who benefit from Acer products are their warranty repair agents
bugle
"Bah, who hasn't killed the neighbour and rooted their corpse after one too many cab savs?"
Member for: 15 years 6 months

Postby Nordy on Thu 9/Jun/11 11:34am

i use the ipad, first ipad then ipad2. Love it. There is an app for almost anything you need to do and the dongles are great.

I use it both at work and at home, and when out with the camera, the camera dongle is fantastic, plug it in the camera while having lunch and transfer the photos across. Use photosmith to flag photos which syncs across to lightroom when I get home. I can do basic edits and upload to flickr and facebook and other sharing servers with various apps. I got the wifi version as I already had an Iphone and I just use the personal hotspot function to connect the ipad to the net when out and about. Great for showing photos to people when out and about. A lot of photographers use them as portable portfolios.

The HDMI dongle is great. Can charge it while watching movies in HD (I use vuze to convert divx and avi to mp4 and home sharing to stream it from itunes for fullscreen HD goodness) playing real racing 2 is fun in 1080p and alot of other apps are going the same way. Even instagallery (for viewing instagram) is fullscreen hd now. Just a shame development stopped on the VLC app, that in HD would have been fantasic.

My favourite app though is still Stanza. Accepts books of all types through a pc/mac program and I can read for hours using the inverse function that iBooks doesnt have yet. I do find iBooks good for ezines though.

I play flash games on it using either iswifter or splashtop remote. iSwifter is a bit laggy with some of the more intensive flash games (like the one I work for) but it does most flash fine. For regular browsing either Opera or Safari.

Yeah so i sound like a fangeek. But hey, it does what i want, and if it doesnt, there is an app out there to make it do what i want :P
Nordy
"Canon + me = <3"
Member for: 13 years 1 month

Postby pissface on Thu 9/Jun/11 12:02pm

i made an awesome tablet by taking my old g4 ibook, has a fucked hd, broken speaker connector, various other flaws, bit of duct tape and the screen is taped onto the body facing up, but so you can slide it up to type, boot it with puppy linux off a 4Gb thumb drive in the usb slot, battery lasts for hours, wifi works, nothing wrong with it. :thumbsup:
pissface
"Boneshaker"
Member for: 14 years 8 months

Postby danose on Thu 9/Jun/11 12:16pm

bugle wrote:
Simonius_Titius wrote:Acer laptops are OK, they have some good flexible disaster recovery stuff built in - separate data partition, option of factory restore, snapshot or backup.

:blink: :blink: :blink:

I think you've strayed into a parallel universe Si, in this dimension Acer are utter shite. The only people who benefit from Acer products are their warranty repair agents

trouble is we've seen no better longevity/reliability from Dell, HP/Compaq or Toshiba - and at least Acer are cheap and their service people easy to deal with (could tell you total horror stories about Dell and HP/Compaq). Which is why for work we now only buy Lenovo (dear, boring styling - but built like a brick outhouse).

I've just replaced a 3+ year old AspireONE - given the hard life it's had and the minimal cost I'd say it's done well.
danose
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"
Member for: 13 years 4 months

Postby jimmymic on Thu 9/Jun/11 2:35pm

I have a Acer Iconica tab.

Use it for developing with Android apps.

Build quality is good, but would say it is a bit on the heavy side of life.

Awesome sound and screen.
jimmymic
Member for: 10 years 3 months

Postby Joel on Thu 9/Jun/11 3:06pm

i had a browse through the android app store, and it looks like most ipad apps are ported to andriod as well.

my son loves the music instrument app on the ipad
Joel
"Style over speed"
Member for: 15 years 7 months

Postby E Dogg Capizzle on Thu 9/Jun/11 3:08pm

Nordy wrote:The HDMI dongle is great.

Excuse my ignorance, but what is a 'dongle'?
E Dogg Capizzle
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man."
Member for: 15 years 1 month

Postby bugle on Thu 9/Jun/11 3:15pm

E Dogg Capizzle wrote:
Nordy wrote:The HDMI dongle is great.

Excuse my ignorance, but what is a 'dongle'?

It's a cable to provide functionality/adapt/plug in things that a device doesn't do by it's self.

Traditionally to provide forward/backward compatability though more recently to make up for cheap/crap design or ensure a nice income stream via expensive proprietary plugs and cables
bugle
"Bah, who hasn't killed the neighbour and rooted their corpse after one too many cab savs?"
Member for: 15 years 6 months

Postby E Dogg Capizzle on Thu 9/Jun/11 3:30pm

bugle wrote:Traditionally to provide forward/backward compatability though more recently to make up for cheap/crap design or ensure a nice income stream via expensive proprietary plugs and cables

At least it gives the ipad fans something else to buy, but really you would think they could integrate an HDMI plug. :D
E Dogg Capizzle
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man."
Member for: 15 years 1 month

Postby j2hyde on Thu 9/Jun/11 3:31pm

We have dongles getting buying access to restricted license modeling software. It's a little usb stick, and if it's not attached to the machine the program won't run. They expire after a certain period of time. A basic maptek dongle for example is 50K a year - stops you bootlegging their IP basically.
j2hyde
"I'm not for that. I'm for the ladies."
Member for: 12 years 1 month

Sifting | Technology - Latest Posts