Re: What Tablet

Postby Joel on Mon 30/May/11 5:09pm

i want to also use it as a phone, and video camera.. that won't look strange at all.
Joel
"Style over speed"
Member for: 15 years 6 months

Postby j2hyde on Mon 30/May/11 6:12pm

way_downsouth wrote:Okay, so I have been contemplating buying a Tablet (I am not sure if you call it a PC or what).

The reason is that they should start up quick/be mobile and for short use. I am thinking it will be handy for keeping in touch with people when away from home, looking things up qucikly when away from home, use of location services and am keen to be able to send photos though email facebook (so through USB, or SD card slot/adaptor) and if I am real lucky, will be able to get data from my GPS's on to it, and potentially some topo maps. I think that I would probably go for one that can use mobile networks when needed/

Any key hints/recommendations regarding what I should look at/look for? Should I wait a for improved technology/competition? Should I just jump on the bandwagon and get an iPad?

Given your list of requirements get an android tablet. The ipad doesn't have USB or SD card reader.
j2hyde
"I'm not for that. I'm for the ladies."
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Postby RJD on Mon 30/May/11 6:14pm

ThingOne wrote:One of the beautys of the IPad is that it has none of these things.

No it does not. But it does have an SD card reader dongle. A video out dongle, a USB dongle, a dongle for that a dongle for this etc.

Ofcourse building all that crap in (with standard usb etc) would hurt sales off accessories...
RJD
Member for: 9 years 5 months

Postby wuffy on Mon 30/May/11 6:58pm

For someone like me who needs multi-media support in all formats its rubbish. No SD/CF slots or USB inputs is one of the worst decisions they could've made. Same with the lack of flash support, nearly all online Video is in Flash format so you can't watch half most of the videos online.

Don't expect to be using it for storing anything either, the Hard-drives are miniscule. I know of a photographer over in the UK that uses an Android (I think, definitely a tablet) that sits in his backpack, on idle. He takes a photo, it gets bluetoothed to his Android, and automatically uploaded onto the Web real time. Only downside is that he can only take one photo at a time as bluetooth is quite slow and takes about 20 seconds for a big 20mb photo judging by the speed my Cell Transmits to my MacBook.

If I was looking for an easy to use and simple Tablet.

I'd flag getting a tablet and get a 13 inch MacBook Pro. :thumbsup:
wuffy
Member for: 8 years 5 months

Postby kona.stinky. on Mon 30/May/11 8:10pm

wuffy wrote:I'd flag getting a tablet and get a 13 inch MacBook Pro. :thumbsup:

:thumbsup:
kona.stinky.
"Si"
Member for: 7 years 9 months

Postby happybaboon on Mon 30/May/11 8:20pm

Resist the urge to buy a crapple of any description. I'd consider top-end Android smartphones. The Optimus 2X looks sharp.

Even on my midrange android phone I can do pretty much what people with iSlabs are able to do. Oh, and I can use it as like a phone and shit, and chuck it in my pocket, which is handy. What you described is pretty much what I use my phone for... Mobile email and facebook (swype text input makes it realistic to send emails and do the facebooks), take photos and upload them to fb, maps/gps, review and even edit documents... The other week it even took some pretty reasonable photos of a surgery I was watching when nobody could find a proper camera with any battery power :D
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Postby Joel on Mon 30/May/11 8:25pm

definitely not the same as a smart phone.. you either find a tablet useful or you wonder WTF people use them for..

i would not read the news etc etc on my phone, but very pleasant on tablet. and reading ebooks is actually enjoyable.
Joel
"Style over speed"

Postby happybaboon on Mon 30/May/11 8:28pm

Each to their own I suppose... I read the news on my phone all the time :huh:
happybaboon

Postby thelivo on Mon 30/May/11 8:37pm

Right now in NZ, there is really only one option and thats the ipad. As a google reseller, I would love to promote the android tablets but they arent up to scratch yet. As a phone android is great, on the tablet its a bit hacked.
For general web surfing, emails, facebook, note taking, BASIC photo sharing via the dongle and stuff - the ipad is fantastic. I have a couple of laptops that I use for work, a mac and a windows one, but the ipad is what i pick up if i am heading out round town. I get more than a day on battery even with fairly heavy use, and it does most of what i want. For photoshop, heavy writing etc, I need a proper keyboard and mouse.

Only downsides of the ipad at the moment - crappy cameras on it, and the apple lock in ecosystem, but everything i do is on google apps so I get round it that way. But despite what the opponents say, Apple do the user experience REALLY well.

As a side note, I am getting a chrome book to play with next week, should be interesting.
thelivo
"Jens Voigt's Suitcase of Courage will not fit in the overhead compartment."
Member for: 10 years 2 months

Postby Joel on Mon 30/May/11 8:40pm

the Acer Iconia has just hit the shops... thought that was honeycomb goodness?

the motorolla xoom looks cool but pricey.. not available in nz.. i just have always liked motorolla's :blush:
Joel
"Style over speed"

Postby thelivo on Mon 30/May/11 8:41pm

wuffy wrote:For someone like me who needs multi-media support in all formats its rubbish. No SD/CF slots or USB inputs is one of the worst decisions they could've made. Same with the lack of flash support, nearly all online Video is in Flash format so you can't watch half most of the videos online.

Don't expect to be using it for storing anything either, the Hard-drives are miniscule. I know of a photographer over in the UK that uses an Android (I think, definitely a tablet) that sits in his backpack, on idle. He takes a photo, it gets bluetoothed to his Android, and automatically uploaded onto the Web real time. Only downside is that he can only take one photo at a time as bluetooth is quite slow and takes about 20 seconds for a big 20mb photo judging by the speed my Cell Transmits to my MacBook.

If I was looking for an easy to use and simple Tablet.

I'd flag getting a tablet and get a 13 inch MacBook Pro. :thumbsup:

You're missing the point - you aren't the audience the ipad is aimed at. The 13 inch MBP on the other hand you are RIGHT in the sweet spot for, although for photos, the size of the 15 and 17 are amazing. And i do my editing on a 27 inch imac which i :love:
thelivo

Postby happybaboon on Mon 30/May/11 8:43pm

Joel wrote:the Acer Iconia has just hit the shops... thought that was honeycomb goodness?

Acer are poose.

Other android tablet makers will eventually do good I'm sure. But everything Acer makes is crappy.
happybaboon

Postby thelivo on Mon 30/May/11 8:44pm

Joel wrote:the Acer Iconia has just hit the shops... thought that was honeycomb goodness?

the motorolla xoom looks cool but pricey.. not available in nz.. i just have always liked motorolla's :blush:

I had a play with the Xoom at Google in Sydney - not over impressive. Although honeycomb is better now (they released the xoom half baked), I havent yet played with one that I liked as much as the ipad. I do hear the galaxy tab 10 inch is really nice though.
thelivo

Postby Joel on Mon 30/May/11 8:49pm

it is easier just to buy an ipad though... :angry:
Joel
"Style over speed"

Postby thelivo on Mon 30/May/11 8:52pm

Right now - yup. in 6 months that may be a completely different story.

Oh - and for those people who suggested windows earlier on a tablet? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Forget it.
thelivo

Sifting | Technology - Latest Posts