Re: What To Do?

Postby Velocipedestrian on Fri 25/Nov/16 1:52pm

If you're going to be hauling loads over gravel, I wouldn't choose 1x.
New proper FD.
Velocipedestrian
"Vorb Trophy Husband of the year 2015"
Member for: 11 years 1 month

Postby Philthy on Sat 26/Nov/16 10:41am

One issue you're bound to run into is the front mech compatibility with yr shifters. MTB front mechs don't work with indexed STI levers, and it'll be hard to find a road mech that'll work with the cable routing on a MTB.
I've done a similar conversion and used bar-end shifters with the indexing turned off on the left-hand shifter There are ways to make a STI lever work (eg DMR make a clamp-on roller to redirect the cable) but I wanted to use drop-bar brake levers that work with V-brakes and BB7 mtb cable disc brakes.
1x would be my choice if i did it again.
Philthy
Member for: 9 years 8 months

Postby Velocipedestrian on Sun 11/Dec/16 12:32pm

Any progress Rik?

I rode my communter for the first time in months today, it's got me thinking similar thoughts...

But in my case I feel a frame transplant might be a good idea. It's got a nice long front centre, but a really high BB - designed for 26" non-corrected rigid.
Also no disc mounts on the rear.

Anyone got a longish largish old frame taking up space?
Velocipedestrian
"Vorb Trophy Husband of the year 2015"
Member for: 11 years 1 month

Postby Rik on Tue 13/Dec/16 9:26am

Velocipedestrian wrote:Any progress Rik?

Nowhere near as much as I would like. I can however, take away two valuable lessons from this project to date:

1) Never start a project coming into a Christmas when you are host.
2) Never decide to re-purpose many of the parts for a project from a bike you depend on to get to work every day.

These obstacles to one side for the moment, all I have are a fork, two calipers and two wheels on my wagon.

I'm keen to whack on some bars and tyres so see how it rolls, because if the new geometry doesn't work out the whole project is an expensive bust.
Rik
""Cities are becoming more rational again, after the folly of car-centric planning," Colville-Andersen"
Member for: 9 years 5 months

Postby AgrAde on Tue 13/Dec/16 9:53am

Rik wrote:2) Never decide to re-purpose many of the parts for a project from a bike you depend on to get to work every day.

:lol:
AgrAde
Member for: 13 years 11 months

Postby Rik on Fri 10th Feb 12:18pm

Velocipedestrian wrote:Any progress Rik?

I rode my communter for the first time in months today, it's got me thinking similar thoughts...

But in my case I feel a frame transplant might be a good idea. It's got a nice long front centre, but a really high BB - designed for 26" non-corrected rigid.
Also no disc mounts on the rear.

Anyone got a longish largish old frame taking up space?

Completed! -ish I have avoided the front derailleur issue by ignoring it and not fitting one for now.

After a false start in the build up I have now successfully completed it's first 200Km mission along the Wilderness Trail with a resounding thumbs up.

Okay so the false start was my own stupid impatience to get the back on the road. Not taking the time to true and tensions the the wheels mean't that once up the road the rear instantly loosened went out of round and transmitted a steering wobble of doom when you took you're hands of the bars. Once I'd properly built the wheels, she now runs straight and true, with a hint of oversteer on the lean.
I've set the Frequency rims up to be tubeless, but Sammy Slicks won't hold air out of the box, so threw tubes in for the trip.
I like the higher BB, because running 175 crank arms, I always have problems with pedal strike.
The cable discs work really well (once setup right) rain or shine (tested in both conditions)

Speaking of ergonomics I found that going from a pair of swept back MTB bars to roadie drops has wrecked what I would say a comfortable reach is. So I need to find another 30mm, either in a shorter stem or a not so setback seatpost to get really comfortable. I mean the bike is not so uncomfortable that I can't do 200Ks on it. But I think the whole point of a Gravel/Adventure bike is it should be comfy as. So few more refinements to come.

Learning at this point:
Don't rush wheel builds, they are ready when they are ready, not when you think they are ready.
Cable disc brakes are a nightmare to get setup just right.
Rik
""Cities are becoming more rational again, after the folly of car-centric planning," Colville-Andersen"
Member for: 9 years 5 months

Cycling - Latest Posts