Re: What Sort Of Vintage Car Do You Own/want

Postby Colin on Wed 6/May/09 8:26am

rackerrack wrote:
avantibill wrote:The only classic cars I can afford to own are these ones below.

Whats the one on the left?

Humber 80 / Hillman Super Minx ?
Colin
Member for: 17 years 1 month

Postby Spyder on Wed 6/May/09 8:27am

ThingOne wrote:
shmoodiver wrote:i had a an 84 lancer gsr turbo, that little car was a lot of fun.

Mitsubishi used to make awesome turbo sleeper cars, Tredia , Cordia, Sigma, Lancer, Mirage. They do make the Evo now, but thats all flares and spoilers and crap.

Never had the (mis)privilege to drive a Tredia/Cordia Turbo, but the way the old work Tredia torque-steered, the Turbo ones must have been lethal. Better off without them (the cars, not turbos).
Spyder
"A little inaccuracy sometimes saves a ton of explanation."
Member for: 13 years 7 months

Postby Colin on Wed 6/May/09 8:37am

When I got my Delta HF it had wider (and stickier) tyre than listed in the handbook

When I asked the dealer I got the car from (at one of it's many services) he said when you kick in the guts with standard rubber, they change lanes. :D

Even with the wider tyres it was lively under acceleration but so much fun.

I made the first set of front tyres disappear in 8000 km. I learnt to stay of the turbo in 1st & 2nd gear after that.
Colin
Member for: 17 years 1 month

Postby Oli on Wed 6/May/09 8:44am

I had a few drives in Delta HFs back in the day - as you say a bit of a handful but man they were fun to drive!
Oli
Member for: 14 years 11 months

Postby ThingOne on Wed 6/May/09 8:46am

Spyder wrote:
ThingOne wrote:
shmoodiver wrote:i had a an 84 lancer gsr turbo, that little car was a lot of fun.

Mitsubishi used to make awesome turbo sleeper cars, Tredia , Cordia, Sigma, Lancer, Mirage. They do make the Evo now, but thats all flares and spoilers and crap.

Never had the (mis)privilege to drive a Tredia/Cordia Turbo, but the way the old work Tredia torque-steered, the Turbo ones must have been lethal. Better off without them (the cars, not turbos).

I drove Tredia, Cordia and Sigma turbos, dont recall any bad torque steer, nothing compared to the torque steer of my 1984 Laser Sport. :crazy:
ThingOne
"www.bushloveracing.com"
Member for: 13 years 4 months

Postby Spyder on Wed 6/May/09 10:13am

ThingOne wrote:
Spyder wrote:
ThingOne wrote:

I drove Tredia, Cordia and Sigma turbos, dont recall any bad torque steer, nothing compared to the torque steer of my 1984 Laser Sport. :crazy:

For a modern incarnation, try taking a Mazda 3 MPS for drive. Sure 190kW looks good on paper, but even in third gear under acceleration it follows every little hollow/bump in the road. Was fun for the day my CX is in for it's service, but wouldn't want to live with it long term. Why people buy them over a Golf GTi I don't understand.
Spyder

Postby dicks-naughty-account on Wed 6/May/09 11:44am

Oli wrote:I had a few drives in Delta HFs back in the day - as you say a bit of a handful but man they were fun to drive!

Go the s4 nigguh --------->
dicks-naughty-account
"WRANGLER BUTTS DRIVE ME NUTS"
Member for: 12 years 6 months

Postby avantibill on Wed 6/May/09 12:17pm

rackerrack wrote:
avantibill wrote:The only classic cars I can afford to own are these ones below.

Hillman Minx. I think the Humber 80 were unique to NZ (rebadged Hillman Minx and Humber 90 are a rebadged Super Minx)

The most "classic" car I ever owned was this 1970 Ford Capri GT (between 1986 -90)

It had the looks, but being a 1600, was grossly underpowered. Back then the 3litre V6 was going for about $10 000, beyond my budget. In Europe there was even a 1300 option :crazy:
P1020169.jpg
scan0003.jpg
avantibill
"Dunedin - It's highly rated!"
Member for: 14 years 7 months

Postby michael on Wed 6/May/09 12:26pm

A Nissan 240z updated to running a rb26dett would do me quite nicely.
michael
Member for: 18 years 1 month

Postby rackerrack on Wed 6/May/09 12:35pm

avantibill wrote:
rackerrack wrote:

Hillman Minx. I think the Humber 80 were unique to NZ

My wifes first car was a one owner Humber 80,We still have it in the garage,been there for 15 odd years,Needs a bit of tlc now,it will make a neat project for one of the kids,or me when I retire.
rackerrack
Member for: 14 years 9 months

Postby avantibill on Wed 6/May/09 12:43pm

wikipedia wrote:The New Zealand importer/assembler Todd Motors created the Humber 80 (Minx) and 90 (Super Minx) as separate models - identical apart from the badges - as a way to secure scarce additional import licences for CKD assembly kits. This was acknowledged in the 1980s Roger Hall play 'Prisoners of Mother England' when a newly-arrived immigrant in New Zealand spots one and exclaims: "Humber 80? There's no such car!"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hillman_Minx
avantibill
"Dunedin - It's highly rated!"
Member for: 14 years 7 months

Postby RJD on Wed 6/May/09 1:17pm

It'd be between an Austin Healy 3000 and a mk1 E-Type I think.

Unless a Miura counted...
RJD
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Postby Spyder on Thu 7/May/09 12:09pm

Count_Stylie wrote:
Bellagio_1.jpg

Just found the next Hyperformance Hardware company car......http://jalopnik.com/5242569/maserati-qu ... tion-wagon
Wouldn't it look great with a roof rack and some Santa Cruz sign writing on the side.

It might be a little costly though, how much could a one of customised Mazza cost.

Now that's a sports wagon! You will need to change the wheels though, they're a bit average.
Spyder

Postby mudguard on Thu 7/May/09 6:17pm

Honda S600, first car race victory for Honda, at the ring no less!Driven by Denny Hulme who passed 25 cars on the first lap despite not being able to start it.

600CC, roller bearing crank, 9000rpm, chain drive...
112_0708_02z+honda_s600_honda_s2000+front_view.jpg
mudguard
Member for: 17 years 0 months

Postby dicks-naughty-account on Thu 7/May/09 6:44pm

:D cool
dicks-naughty-account
"WRANGLER BUTTS DRIVE ME NUTS"
Member for: 12 years 6 months

Cars | Motoring | Sifting - Latest Posts