What sort of mythological/biblical evil creature is Christine Rankin?

Demon - general
15%
Demon - succubus
31%
Imp
10%
Goblin
13%
Zombie
13%
Gremlin
13%
Ogre
15%
Troll
26%
Vampire
21%
Werewolf
10%
Yeti
8%
Dragon
8%
Catholic Priest
33%
Other
21%

Total voters : 39

Re: What Sort(s) Of Mythological Evil Being Is Christine Rankin?

Postby kiaorakid on Tue 19/May/09 10:51pm

nostromo wrote:
kiaorakid wrote:
happybaboon wrote:And she publically supports the legalisation of parental assaults on children, despite now working for an organisation which specifically aims to reduce child abuse.

Mate, there's over 75% of us parents who support 'assaulting' our children... As if banning smacking is going to have the slightest impact on child abuse :rolleyes: Once again, good people get punished while the crims get off scott free... no thanks to people like you :hmmm:

Yeah what Oli said, good people are not being punished, I don't think anyone has yet? Theres one case before the courts right now, however its actually not a test of the law as the charges are being denied (that the guy punched his kid in the face).

Whether you agree with smacking or not the old law allowed people to legally abuse their children above and beyond the level of smacking. Surely you don't think that is acceptable :(

Nah, of course not! I never said the old law didn't need adjusting, but to 'criminalise' a parent for deciding to use a smack as part of their choice of discipline, is outrageous - which despite all intentions, this law does.

Depending on who you listen to, there are more than a few people getting into strife over smacking, But in some ways, that's not the point. The point is, that if one of my sprogs is being a ratbag in public and needs disciplining, if I choose to give him a clip around the ears (or a smack on the bum), I now have society judging me as an abusive parent - regardless of whether or not I'm arrested! I can't exercise my right to parent the way I see fit now, without having that stigma imposed upon me and my family. And to me, I am being punished.

Continually lumping a smack within the context of abuse and beating and violence, which many in the media and politics do (Sue Bradford is a classic), is ridiculous. My kids are very rarely smacked - and my eldest two haven't been for a couple of years (and probably wont need to be ever again), but try reasoning with my two-year old... good luck! Time out doesn't work, and I wonder if locking her in her room could be viewed as neglect...? one of the forms of child abuse... A light smack does absolutely no harm, but very quickly gets her attention and curtails that behaviour immediately. It's all about the context... and in our family, our 4 kids have two loving parents who know better than anyone else, what works them.

And as for the 75%... it depends on the stats you read (some go over 80%!), but there's no way that a majority wanted this law in its current format. That's just clutching at straws...

Cheers for the rant :)
kiaorakid
Member for: 8 years 11 months

Postby Oli on Tue 19/May/09 11:29pm

I have three kids and have had lots of misbehaviour but still never felt the need as an adult to use physical force on them even once. I think resorting to violence - and it IS violence - means the person using it fails at reasonable conflict resolution.

And did you think that people weren't judging your public displays of smacking before the repeal of S59? Because they were. Some of them might have agreed with you and some not, but they were all judging you. The law makes no difference to that whatsoever.

How would you feel if a stranger gave one of your kids a "clip around the ears"? I'd bet you'd be pretty pissed off and feel it was an assault - what makes it any different when it comes from someone who supposedly loves you? Shouldn't you as the loving parent be the safe refuge from violence, not the cause?

I am so glad and proud my kids have never had to fear my hand.
Oli
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Postby happybaboon on Tue 19/May/09 11:34pm

The law is working great... Today that douche who punched his four year old in the face got convicted. Fucking good result; under the old law he'd have had a good chance of getting off under section 59.

It's only dicks like him who are getting sorted out though. More minor assaults like smacks on the bum, while I personally disagree with their employment, aren't landing parents in court.
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Postby happybaboon on Tue 19/May/09 11:36pm

Back on topic...

Could Christine Rankin be human, but an horrific mutant... kind of like X-Men but with no special powers aside from vast evilness and repulsivness?
happybaboon

Postby michael on Tue 19/May/09 11:39pm

Sounds like shes also good friends, with Paula Bennett, speaking of mythological horrible creatures...
michael
Member for: 15 years 5 months

Postby Oli on Tue 19/May/09 11:40pm

But he only punched his kid in the face with love! The kid knows that!
Oli

Postby znomit on Tue 19/May/09 11:44pm

She lacks credibility with half the population.
She is a poor role model for any family (yes, a fourth marriage is not something to aspire to).
Oh and Paul Holmes is backing her. I guess 4 marriages is better than P step daughter.

The thing I haven't heard is what makes her fit for the job?

FLATULENTFRIEND wrote:Ok guys and dolls leave out the mythical creature stuff and spell out in some objective way why she is a 'bad' person and why she's unfit for the new position?
znomit
Member for: 9 years 4 months

Postby nostromo on Tue 19/May/09 11:44pm

Oli wrote:But he only punched his kid in the face with love! The kid knows that!

What do you call that the..ah.. Love fist?
nostromo
":-("
Member for: 11 years 6 months

Postby happybaboon on Tue 19/May/09 11:49pm

znomit wrote:The thing I haven't heard is what makes her fit for the job?

Hundreds of thousands of people from successful "families" would surely be better qualified. And they'd probably be able to find one of those better-qualified people to do the job for a fraction of whatever Christine Rankin is demanding.

The thing I haven't heard is what the Families Commission actually does?
happybaboon

Postby Oli on Tue 19/May/09 11:52pm

If you don't know what they do, why does it matter to you if Rankin works there? :sly:
Oli

Postby znomit on Wed 20/May/09 12:03am

I think HB secretly likes the short skirts and dangly ear gear.
Probably has all her DWTS appearances on video.

Oli wrote:If you don't know what they do, why does it matter to you if Rankin works there? :sly:
znomit
Member for: 9 years 4 months

Oli

Postby thorg on Wed 20/May/09 7:29am

znomit wrote:She lacks credibility with half the population.
She is a poor role model for any family (yes, a fourth marriage is not something to aspire to).
Oh and Paul Holmes is backing her. I guess 4 marriages is better than P step daughter.

The thing I haven't heard is what makes her fit for the job?

FLATULENTFRIEND wrote:Ok guys and dolls leave out the mythical creature stuff and spell out in some objective way why she is a 'bad' person and why she's unfit for the new position?

Only half? thats better than most in politics - and we 'trust' the to make our laws. Now if 90% of the country thought she lacked credability, then sure, you might have a point. But beside from that, you pulled that stat out of your arse once you reached past the lodged vibrator - so it's invalid anyways.

wow - you really are backwards arent you. yes, people who are in unhappy relationships should remain so in case they upset the morals of the vorbcensus. Well guess what knuckle baby - quite a few vorbii are from divorced parents, and ARE divorced themselves! Some of the BEST parents I know are those who have been divorced - being divorced is in no way a negative thing.

And if you want to judge people based on what other people think - sure. But how infantile.

What qualifies her?
She has seen it from the 'bad side' - as she suffered an abusive upbringing, but did not continue the cycle.
She has experience running large gvt organisations (and no matter what you think of how she ran winz, she ran it the way she was told to and met targets that were set - bad dress sense be damned)
She is not afraid to challenge goverment.
She is not afraid to challenge media.
She has a puplic profile that brings the attention to the job.

Lets face it, if some unheard of lacky had of been handed the position it would have rumbled on into - well, wherever it was rumbling to. At the very least, this appointment has raised the profile of the families commision, and started discussion about what it does, etc etc etc.

Do I personally think she is the right person for the job - undecided.

but I sure as hell wont judge her based upon what some jumped up wikilectual with a media fed brain on some cycling website thinks.

(this post is not based at znomit - but at the generally feeling of "we must destroy her because she upsets my moral compass!" logic that pervades her appointment)
thorg
"what blog?"
Member for: 13 years 5 months

Postby shmoodiver on Wed 20/May/09 7:45am

happybaboon wrote:
znomit wrote:The thing I haven't heard is what makes her fit for the job?

Hundreds of thousands of people from successful "families" would surely be better qualified. And they'd probably be able to find one of those better-qualified people to do the job for a fraction of whatever Christine Rankin is demanding.

The thing I haven't heard is what the Families Commission actually does?

what defines a successful family?

i'm liking thorgs words of reason on this one, but i'm still sticking with her being a rancor.
shmoodiver
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Member for: 10 years 1 month

Postby Oli on Wed 20/May/09 8:14am

She doesn't upset my "moral compass" but her culture of waste when running WINZ is fact not conjecture.
Oli

National Politics | Politics | Sifting - Latest Posts