Re: What Size Bars?

Postby Dougal on Sun 17/May/15 7:45pm

I went to 780 Protapers on the test bike an 680's on Mrs Dougal's Intense.

Perfect all round really. The 680's feel perfect on the Intense with a few mm's shorter stem. The test bike has some weird handling traits and the 780's help bully the front around.
No problems catching them on trees yet. But bars tapping the back window on the bike rack looks like a hassle.
Dougal
Member for: 14 years 5 months

Postby foremannz on Sun 17/May/15 9:02pm

Ha, I run 640's on my trail bike and 725's on my all mountain bike - the origonal 800's on the all mountain were just too wide (I'd collect too many trees), and even at 760 they still felt too wide, but at 725, they feel pretty good, and my descents are still pretty quick compared to the trail bike.
foremannz
Member for: 8 years 3 months

Postby Dougal on Sun 17/May/15 9:16pm

foremannz wrote:Ha, I run 640's on my trail bike and 725's on my all mountain bike - the origonal 800's on the all mountain were just too wide (I'd collect too many trees), and even at 760 they still felt too wide, but at 725, they feel pretty good, and my descents are still pretty quick compared to the trail bike.

I've ridden Mudguards Enduro (maybe 740's) back to back on the same trails as my test bike.
The Enduro felt fine with the narrower bars and didn't need bullying around. Same with my Turner and the 680's. But there's something odd about the test bike steering and it needs the extra leverage.
Dougal
Member for: 14 years 5 months

Postby herbman on Mon 18/May/15 11:47pm

My new bike has 800s with a 50mm stem and feels fine, but it is a bigger bike around compared to my old fully and the wider bars suit the faster speeds that it can be ridden at.

I have found the slacker the bike, the wider the handle bar, as it helps deal with the wheel wanting to flop over on flat ground.

The hardtail is on some 785s as they came off my old fully, this winter will see how they go as they are replacing some 745s which just felt right on that bike.

Also I have not had any issues with tree strikes with the 800s, at the end of the day there really is not a lot of difference between at set of 760s or 800s when you are moving through trees at speed.
herbman
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Postby happybaboon on Tue 19/May/15 12:43am

730, which feels VERY wide. I've considered taking it back a bit to stop my hands from whacking into the occasional tree.....
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Postby mfw on Tue 19/May/15 11:55am

herbman wrote:at the end of the day there really is not a lot of difference between at set of 760s or 800s

20mm each size, HTH.
mfw
User avatarMedal
Member for: 9 years 11 months

Postby umog on Wed 20/May/15 11:13am

tbh I find it a bit sad to see trails being widened because of these wide bars.

Me likes a bit of twisty tree-maze.
umog
Member for: 7 years 6 months

Postby Wobbler on Wed 20/May/15 11:43am

umog wrote:tbh I find it a bit sad to see trails being widened because of these wide bars.

Get even wider bars and every trail can be twisty maze
Wobbler
Member for: 11 years 11 months

Postby Velocipedestrian on Wed 20/May/15 12:21pm

umog wrote:tbh I find it a bit sad to see trails being widened because of these wide bars.

That's not why trails are being widened, it's coz mongs need super buff flow wide trails with no bumps for their 6" travel six-fiddy+ superbikes.
Velocipedestrian
"Vorb Trophy Husband of the year 2015"
Member for: 11 years 0 months

Postby ryda on Wed 20/May/15 1:11pm

Image pretty good size bar I reakon
ryda
"WTF"
Member for: 11 years 8 months

Postby Wobbler on Wed 20/May/15 1:59pm

good for stabbing the roof of your mouth
Wobbler

Postby ryda on Wed 20/May/15 2:27pm

your doing it wrong :o

eating the chocolate too :crazy:
ryda
"WTF"

Postby Wobbler on Wed 20/May/15 2:40pm

I think your enter key is broken.
Wobbler

Postby ryda on Wed 20/May/15 3:14pm

don't think I'm the one with the entry problem :paranoid:
ryda
"WTF"

Postby umog on Wed 20/May/15 9:52pm

Velocipedestrian wrote:

That's not why trails are being widened, it's coz mongs need super buff flow wide trails with no bumps for their 6" travel six-fiddy+ superbikes.

Crap.

Where am I supposed to go to get beaten up on my hardtail?

In truth, and in hindsight, I realise that trees love to grow into the light, and some of that pruning my not actually be widening, but reverting to the original... :hmmm:
umog
Member for: 7 years 6 months

Controls + Cockpit | Cycling | Handlebars | Mountain Biking - Latest Posts