Brakes are illegal on the velodrome bro

Oh, i assumed you were using it on the streets lol
its that guy
"Lurkin"
Member for: 8 years 5 months

Re: What Size Bars?

Postby Dougal on Tue 17/Feb/15 2:46pm

scatter wrote:Brakes are illegal on the velodrome bro

Wow, I didn't know that. How are you supposed to play surprise dominoes without brakes!
Dougal
Member for: 14 years 7 months

Postby Percy Pig on Tue 17/Feb/15 2:55pm

Dougal wrote:

Wow, I didn't know that. How are you supposed to play surprise dominoes without brakes!

Stop pedaling... Surprise!! :butbut: :crazy: :exclaim:
Percy Pig
"Got a bone?"
Member for: 15 years 7 months

Postby scatter on Tue 17/Feb/15 2:58pm

Percy Pig wrote:
Dougal wrote:

Stop pedaling... Surprise!! :butbut: :crazy: :exclaim:

>cringes<
scatter
"The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook"
Member for: 14 years 10 months

Postby Wobbler on Tue 17/Feb/15 3:06pm

How do you do skids :eh:
Wobbler
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Postby swtchbckr on Tue 17/Feb/15 3:08pm

Wobbler wrote:How do you do skids :eh:

in yer pants!
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 12 years 8 months

Postby ryda on Tue 17/Feb/15 4:00pm

Velocipedestrian wrote:
AgrAde wrote:
Rik wrote:Question to all you people running big bars. How much riding in the woods do you do?

Because I've been thinking about going for wider bars, but I love ripping through the trees and wider bars will increase my chances of clipping one, result in me ploughing a new furrow with my shoulder. :(

The increased stability meant more confidence in line choice and I'm much more confident when squeezing through even if it does require a little more body language.

This, I was surprised a decent increase in bar width didn't lead to more tree-spanking. Just more slalom styles.
Wellytrack isn't super tight on the trees front, but not Rotovegas wide either.
dunno I get more worried about my bars hitting trees on Paddy's run than anywhere in Welly. In Welly I mainly hit trees with my shoulders and wider bars haven't made them any wider (or with my helmet, stupid freakin low branches)
ryda
"WTF"
Member for: 11 years 10 months

Postby Trail on Tue 17/Feb/15 4:05pm

CrustyMTB wrote:
Velocipedestrian wrote:
AgrAde wrote:
Rik wrote:Question to all you people running big bars. How much riding in the woods do you do?

Because I've been thinking about going for wider bars, but I love ripping through the trees and wider bars will increase my chances of clipping one, result in me ploughing a new furrow with my shoulder. :(

The increased stability meant more confidence in line choice and I'm much more confident when squeezing through even if it does require a little more body language.

This, I was surprised a decent increase in bar width didn't lead to more tree-spanking. Just more slalom styles.
Depends on the track, there's a gap on goldmine? that 680's j....u....s....t... fit through, and slalom wont cut it.

AgrAde wrote:Bust out a manual and turn the bars ;)
Trail
"Concentrating on technique"
Member for: 9 years 4 months

Postby Velocipedestrian on Tue 17/Feb/15 4:28pm

ryda wrote:
Velocipedestrian wrote:
AgrAde wrote:

dunno I get more worried about my bars hitting trees on Paddy's run than anywhere in Welly. In Welly I mainly hit trees with my shoulders and wider bars haven't made them any wider (or with my helmet, stupid freakin low branches)

Yeah, now that you mention it, I do get a lot more shoulder and head contact than hands/bars. Is much worse in winter - the light on the helmet snags things I'm ducking in the daytime. :blush:
Velocipedestrian
"Vorb Trophy Husband of the year 2015"
Member for: 11 years 2 months

Postby wachtourak on Tue 17/Feb/15 5:45pm

Dougal wrote:So what's a sensible width for a 154cm female?

I'm thinking ~720mm max.

Lisa rode my bike with 760's and seemed fine with it, personal preference I reckon

I have ridden one place In wellington that I couldn't physically fit my 760's through one gap without pretty much stopping and that was Rata Ridge which is in no way designed as a bike track. SOme other places necessitate a bit of body english but I have never really found them to be a problem

scatter wrote:Way back in the day, I used to run 712mm bars (Profile Tenacious D's) on my DH bike and they felt stupid wide. There were a couple of corners I couldn't get around on Scout Hall (combo of tripplezz and wide bars). Are our trails not as tech as they used to be? :satan:

I've got down Scout Hall with 800's

Wobbler wrote:How do you do skids :eh:

hump your stem and stop pedalling. hard to do with proper track gearing though lol
wachtourak
"IMDABES"
Member for: 15 years 0 months

Postby its that guy on Tue 17/Feb/15 7:02pm

Wobbler wrote:hard to do with proper track gearing though lol

I have many scars that confirm this lol
its that guy
"Lurkin"
Member for: 8 years 5 months

Postby umog on Wed 25/Feb/15 2:49pm

Saw someone riding on a busy shared path with fashionably wide bars, have to say they looked like a right pita for everyone else....
umog
Member for: 7 years 7 months

Controls + Cockpit | Cycling | Handlebars | Mountain Biking - Latest Posts