Re: What Size Bars?

Postby Dougal on Tue 17/Feb/15 11:45am

Dougal wrote:So what's a sensible width for a 154cm female?

I'm thinking ~720mm max.

Oh wait. That should be 162cm. :blush:
Dougal
Member for: 16 years 3 months

Postby mfw on Tue 17/Feb/15 12:03pm

Dougal wrote:

You da man!
Too many females you are losing track of them :cool:
Just to let me in on a secret, do you prefer the 154cm or the 162cm?
mfw
Member for: 11 years 9 months

Postby AgrAde on Tue 17/Feb/15 12:06pm

Depends what you're into man :thumbsup:
AgrAde
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Postby Wobbler on Tue 17/Feb/15 12:08pm

Dougal wrote:

I'm thinking ~720mm max.

800s then
Wobbler
User avatarMedal
Member for: 13 years 9 months

Postby yak71 on Tue 17/Feb/15 12:34pm

Stupid thought, but do grips come in to the equation at all when everybody is talking bar widths?
If I try lock-on grips I lose the 5mm or so at each end where I normally have my hands - right on the ends of my bars, with grips like esi. I find lock-ons are really uncomfortable to ride with like that. (lock-ons with the outer clamp obviously)
So, for example, are 760mm bars with lock-ons grips pretty much the same as 750mm with esi styles?
yak71
"yeah definitely"
Member for: 13 years 6 months

Postby Trail on Tue 17/Feb/15 12:38pm

Rik wrote:Question to all you people running big bars. How much riding in the woods do you do?

Because I've been thinking about going for wider bars, but I love ripping through the trees and wider bars will increase my chances of clipping one, result in me ploughing a new furrow with my shoulder. :(

I ride 760 on trails in forests that were never built for mtbs... there are a number of squeeze points! Still prefer the increased stability over the handfull of tight moments through the trees.

On normal built for mtb tracks 760 should be no problem at all.
Trail
"Concentrating on technique"
Member for: 11 years 0 months

Postby Trail on Tue 17/Feb/15 12:40pm

Oh also if you are smacking trees on the inside of corners try learning some countersteering coming into the corner?
Trail
"Concentrating on technique"
Member for: 11 years 0 months

Postby Percy Pig on Tue 17/Feb/15 12:42pm

yak71 wrote:Stupid thought, but do grips come in to the equation at all when everybody is talking bar widths?
If I try lock-on grips I lose the 5mm or so at each end where I normally have my hands - right on the ends of my bars, with grips like esi. I find lock-ons are really uncomfortable to ride with like that. (lock-ons with the outer clamp obviously)
So, for example, are 760mm bars with lock-ons grips pretty much the same as 750mm with esi styles?

Not for me, I could get away with 100mm wide grips, as I ride with teh end-cap basically under my little finger knuckle. :)
Percy Pig
"Got a bone?"
Member for: 17 years 3 months

Postby Velocipedestrian on Tue 17/Feb/15 12:51pm

AgrAde wrote:
Rik wrote:Question to all you people running big bars. How much riding in the woods do you do?

Because I've been thinking about going for wider bars, but I love ripping through the trees and wider bars will increase my chances of clipping one, result in me ploughing a new furrow with my shoulder. :(

The increased stability meant more confidence in line choice and I'm much more confident when squeezing through even if it does require a little more body language.

This, I was surprised a decent increase in bar width didn't lead to more tree-spanking. Just more slalom styles.
Wellytrack isn't super tight on the trees front, but not Rotovegas wide either.
Velocipedestrian
"Now bicycles were never made for pale green pants to ride 'em. Especially spooky pale green pants with nobody inside 'em."
Member for: 12 years 10 months

Postby CrustyMTB on Tue 17/Feb/15 1:00pm

Velocipedestrian wrote:
AgrAde wrote:

The increased stability meant more confidence in line choice and I'm much more confident when squeezing through even if it does require a little more body language.

This, I was surprised a decent increase in bar width didn't lead to more tree-spanking. Just more slalom styles.
Wellytrack isn't super tight on the trees front, but not Rotovegas wide either.
Depends on the track, there's a gap on goldmine? that 680's j....u....s....t... fit through, and slalom wont cut it.
CrustyMTB
"Tucker's Law "If some cunt can fuck something up, that cunt will pick the worst possible time to fucking fuck it up, cause that cunt's a cunt.""
Member for: 15 years 2 months

Postby umog on Tue 17/Feb/15 1:28pm

I'm using the narrowwide bars :p
narrow on my rigid (570) and wider not sure) on the FS.

tbh I don't find the difference is that great. It's a handlebar, you turn it sometimes, lean it others. Never had stability issues, probably don't go fast enough for that :blush:
umog
Member for: 9 years 4 months

Postby swtchbckr on Tue 17/Feb/15 1:30pm

scatter wrote:380 :p

fixxie hipster?
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 14 years 5 months

Postby Yogi on Tue 17/Feb/15 1:35pm

CrustyMTB wrote: Depends on the track, there's a gap on goldmine? that 680's j....u....s....t... fit through, and slalom wont cut it.

Alas that tree is no more. Rode up there the other week and that tree is now down the bank. Seems like someone hit it at a reasonable pace... was slowly dying and rotting out anyway.

Velocipedestrian wrote: Wellytrack isn't super tight on the trees front, but not Rotovegas wide either.

I'd say Wellington track is super tight on the tree front, especially on the lesser known tracks (but still legal) out there. I've just cut my bars down from 790 to 770 as I'd be clipping trees at least once a week. Think of Rata Ridge, Cemetery, Goldmine, Towhai Traverse, Vertigo requires several shimmies under and around trees, and even the trees on Leaping Lizard will collect you if you're travelling at speed.
Yogi
Member for: 15 years 7 months

Postby scatter on Tue 17/Feb/15 1:39pm

swtchbckr wrote:
scatter wrote:380 :p

fixxie hipster?

fixxie racer :cool:
scatter
"The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook"
Member for: 16 years 7 months

Postby Velocipedestrian on Tue 17/Feb/15 1:46pm

Yogi wrote:
CrustyMTB wrote: Depends on the track, there's a gap on goldmine? that 680's j....u....s....t... fit through, and slalom wont cut it.

Alas that tree is no more. Rode up there the other week and that tree is now down the bank. Seems like someone hit it at a reasonable pace... was slowly dying and rotting out anyway.

Velocipedestrian wrote: Wellytrack isn't super tight on the trees front, but not Rotovegas wide either.

I'd say Wellington track is super tight on the tree front, especially on the lesser known tracks (but still legal) out there. I've just cut my bars down from 790 to 770 as I'd be clipping trees at least once a week. Think of Rata Ridge, Cemetery, Goldmine, Towhai Traverse, Vertigo requires several shimmies under and around trees, and even the trees on Leaping Lizard will collect you if you're travelling at speed.

Fair enough, the older not-designed-as-bike-tracks certainly have their moments, but that's all part of the fun with wide bars.
Velocipedestrian
"Now bicycles were never made for pale green pants to ride 'em. Especially spooky pale green pants with nobody inside 'em."
Member for: 12 years 10 months

Controls + Cockpit | Cycling | Handlebars | Mountain Biking - Latest Posts