Re: What Size Bars?

Postby scatter on Tue 17/Feb/15 8:37am

380 :p
scatter
"The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook"
Member for: 15 years 10 months

Postby Dougal on Tue 17/Feb/15 9:03am

So what's a sensible width for a 154cm female?

I'm thinking ~720mm max.
Dougal
Member for: 15 years 6 months

Postby scatter on Tue 17/Feb/15 9:07am

Dougal wrote:So what's a sensible width for a 154cm female?

I'm thinking ~720mm max.

Agree.
scatter

Postby wgtngrl on Tue 17/Feb/15 9:12am

scatter wrote:
Dougal wrote:So what's a sensible width for a 154cm female?

I'm thinking ~720mm max.

Agree.

Agree. 680 on my hardtail, 700 on the fully. Would be comfortable with 700 on the hardtail.
wgtngrl
Member for: 14 years 5 months

Postby Velocipedestrian on Tue 17/Feb/15 9:14am

My partner's ~165cm, she's happy with 730.
Velocipedestrian
"Now bicycles were never made for pale green pants to ride 'em. Especially spooky pale green pants with nobody inside 'em."
Member for: 12 years 1 month

Postby Percy Pig on Tue 17/Feb/15 10:04am

777 on a 20mm stem for teh Dh sled, 750 or 760 (whatever the stock Raceface bar is) on a 50mm stem out on the Range. :)

Will probably replace the DH 777 with an 800 sometime, and swap the 777 onto the Range, see how it goes before cutting it. :thumbsup:
Percy Pig
"Got a bone?"
Member for: 16 years 6 months

Postby mbl77 on Tue 17/Feb/15 10:23am

690 on a 70mm stem on the XC bike. Currently only 720 on a 50mm stem on the trail bike, but will be replacing with a 750 soon. Trails are too narrow here for anything wider. 540 (!) on my 1994 Kona Cindercone, which is useful in the traffic.
mbl77
Member for: 5 years 7 months

Postby Rik on Tue 17/Feb/15 10:32am

Question to all you people running big bars. How much riding in the woods do you do?

Because I've been thinking about going for wider bars, but I love ripping through the trees and wider bars will increase my chances of clipping one, result in me ploughing a new furrow with my shoulder. :(
Rik
""Cities are becoming more rational again, after the folly of car-centric planning," Colville-Andersen"
Member for: 10 years 5 months

Postby CrustyMTB on Tue 17/Feb/15 10:34am

oldandlazy wrote:Went up as high as 800 before settling back at 750. Wellington trails are too narrow for much more than that for me. At 800 I clipped trees all the time, usually painfully. The last one involved my chainring opening up my knee right through to the bone.
:withstupid:
710 (down from 730) on the trail bicycle with a 60mm stem, 680 on the xc with a 70mm stem, never felt a problem with stability, but find much more than shoulder width feels wrong and I end up holding the bar closer in. Je suis 172cms. Could it be that wide bars (like bigger wheels) is overcompensating?
CrustyMTB
"Tucker's Law "If some cunt can fuck something up, that cunt will pick the worst possible time to fucking fuck it up, cause that cunt's a cunt.""
Member for: 14 years 5 months

Postby scatter on Tue 17/Feb/15 10:41am

CrustyMTB wrote:Could it be that wide bars (like bigger wheels) is overcompensating?

:D

Rik wrote:Question to all you people running big bars. How much riding in the woods do you do?

Way back in the day, I used to run 712mm bars (Profile Tenacious D's) on my DH bike and they felt stupid wide. There were a couple of corners I couldn't get around on Scout Hall (combo of tripplezz and wide bars). Are our trails not as tech as they used to be? :satan:
scatter

Postby mudlover/hater on Tue 17/Feb/15 10:42am

740 (with a 1" clamp and 60mm stem) on the ht, 750 on the squish. I'm 5'8"ish and they're great. Can ride some pretty tight stuff in welly. I'll take leverage over tree clearance all day long. .. :)
mudlover/hater
"Hoh. Hoh. Hoh. Now I haf.. a machine gun."
Member for: 8 years 5 months

Postby Wobbler on Tue 17/Feb/15 10:55am

Rik wrote:Question to all you people running big bars. How much riding in the woods do you do?

Because I've been thinking about going for wider bars, but I love ripping through the trees and wider bars will increase my chances of clipping one, result in me ploughing a new furrow with my shoulder. :(

depends on the density of ur woods

760 no issue in chch, there are a couple of spots at hanmer where I need to take a little more care but its nothing major
Wobbler
User avatarMedal
Member for: 13 years 0 months

Postby Percy Pig on Tue 17/Feb/15 11:17am

Wobbler wrote:

depends on the density of ur woods

760 no issue in chch, there are a couple of spots at hanmer where I need to take a little more care but its nothing major

Wot 'e sayed. :thumbsup:
Percy Pig
"Got a bone?"
Member for: 16 years 6 months

Postby pedalingkiwi on Tue 17/Feb/15 11:17am

I find my 750's a bit of a liability at Living Springs (specifically Mississippi, Zanes), but otherwise not a problem. I think being a tall person = more chance of shoulder damage because when leaned over it is the shoulder that is the exposed extremity, but can be countered by laying the bike over but keeping body relatively upright where possible/necessary.
pedalingkiwi
Member for: 12 years 7 months

Postby AgrAde on Tue 17/Feb/15 11:41am

If you consider 760 to be big:

I ride in the woods heaps. I've got scars all over my upper arms from getting too close to pine trees at speed, but I never clip the bars. Riding the luge in craigieburn I thought would be a problem (there's a couple tight bits that get reeeaaaaally scary at speed) but I found the opposite - the increased stability meant more confidence in line choice and I'm much more confident when squeezing through even if it does require a little more body language.

My large-framed friend who rides 780s noticed the same thing on the same tracks. If I was riding 780s I would have more trouble due to loss of agility and maneuverability, but the bars fit him so it works.
AgrAde
Member for: 14 years 11 months

Controls + Cockpit | Cycling | Handlebars | Mountain Biking - Latest Posts