What level of componentry do you generally use to replace your drivetrain?

Boutique CNC machined stuff no one has heard of
3%
X.0/XTR
15%
X.9/XT/Saint
63%
X.7/Deore/SLX
8%
X.5/Alivio or lower
1%
Whatever I can afford
6%
A BMX chain and two cogs
1%
You're supposed to replace your drivetrain?
3%

Total voters : 108

What Level Of Components Do You Replace Your Drivetrain With

Postby Tama on Fri 12/Sep/08 8:29am

I habitually replace my drivetrain gear with X.9/XT (more so X.9 these days) as I reckon it gives you quality close to the top X.0/XTR level with slightly more weight (which I don't care about) at half the cost.

The wanky part of me would like to only use the "best" but at the end of the day the financial reality is that X.9/XT does me just fine.

Your votes/ thoughts/ photos of your pet panda viewers
Tama
"Come on Ruthie let's dance"
Member for: 15 years 11 months

Postby Mr_Bob on Fri 12/Sep/08 8:35am

X9/Xt
I went for X0 shifters when I wanted to replace shifters after 2 years. I did notice the crisper feel.
It depennds how far the budget can stretch.
Mr_Bob
"Pedal!"
Member for: 12 years 8 months

Postby ThingOne on Fri 12/Sep/08 8:36am

Same,
XT vs XTR there is no benefit in the consumable side of things. Get the XTR cranks etc but use the XT consumables.
ThingOne
"www.bushloveracing.com"
Member for: 10 years 9 months

Postby mitch7 on Fri 12/Sep/08 8:41am

My new bike has XT rear with Lx shifters..once I wipe that out I'll probably go back to X9 ...for the same reasons above.

Also there seems to be many more levels of quality in Rear mech/shifters over the Shimano range..its too confusing to me.:eh:

I have no problem with the Shimano XT mech, works fine, and the LX shifters have trigger..(thumb or finger)..but shifts(due to shifters i think) are not as precise.. :hmmm:
mitch7
"A beard is like having a machine gun on your face. Pure badass."
Member for: 11 years 8 months

Postby jeremyb on Fri 12/Sep/08 8:43am

MTB stuff wears out too quickly, so.... spending my own money: Ultegra on roadie, LX on MTB, probably run XT cluster and derailleur tho', thats where you notice it most, lower end derailleurs feel crap regardless of the shifter level.

... if you're a poser run an XTR derailleur and deore everything else, 99% of riders will think you have all XTR :D
jeremyb
"www.derailled.co.nz - New Zealand Cycling Forum"
Member for: 14 years 11 months

Postby molotovd on Fri 12/Sep/08 8:44am

again, i'm much the same.. I want the X.0 stuff but then think well, the x.9 is last years or the year before X.0 so maybe i' pay half the price and get the good product and not have the bling.. :(

:hmmm: but again, i like bling, so then i tend to have issues and get confused, cave in and pay the extra in the heat of the moment.. hehe :paranoid: damn i hate when i do that.. does anyone else have these issues? :blush:
molotovd
Member for: 11 years 7 months

Postby wgtngrl on Fri 12/Sep/08 8:51am

Have always gone XTR for bling and weight reasons. Have an XT front der cos it was the only one around that fit when I was building the Blur. I'd be replacing just as frequently if I used XT, so might as well have the hotness :)
wgtngrl
User avatarMedal
Member for: 13 years 6 months

Postby jeremyb on Fri 12/Sep/08 9:03am

We should also mention that 99% of people on here who run XTR/X0 work in the bike industry, now if they were being honest and paying retail price what would they run :sly:
Last edited by jeremyb on Fri 12/Sep/08 9:03am, edited 1 time in total.
jeremyb
"www.derailled.co.nz - New Zealand Cycling Forum"
Member for: 14 years 11 months

Postby Joel on Fri 12/Sep/08 9:03am

depends on the bike, for example with the road bikes. race bike is durace chains and cassete etc etc where i am looking to save weight. and the durace cassete (of which i have 2-3 of differing ratios) does not chew out my light weight alloy free hub body.

on the training bike, it's 9spd 105/ultegra.. where i ride in all conditions and it just shreds the consumables.

mtb was XT. as my reasoning is that mud kills chains and cassettes so no point be blingtastic about it
Joel
"Style over speed"
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Postby phunk on Fri 12/Sep/08 9:10am

:pmob: XT cassette LX or XT chain, does the job. Couldnt use XTR in the mud without cringing.
phunk
Member for: 13 years 9 months

Postby DaveAldred on Fri 12/Sep/08 9:11am

Heres an annoying statement -

XTR won't make you ride any better or faster than LX.

The difference in cost could cover a season's race fees and petrol.

Of course there may be arguments against this, but i'm not interested.
DaveAldred
"Bushlove - Strictly Sifting"
Member for: 11 years 9 months

Postby wgtngrl on Fri 12/Sep/08 9:19am

DaveAldred wrote:XTR won't make you ride any better or faster than LX.

That is a LIE!!!!!

Def makes me faster. The mental side of the game is huge for me and any edge makes a difference. Though someone like Cabin for example (I could be wrong but suspect might not be) could happily jump on just about anything and kick it - cos he's wired like that.

If was wasn't racing though - I'd definitely find it hard to justify XTR unless I was swimming in cash (and if I wasn't racing I kind of would be... what's a girl to do!).
wgtngrl
User avatarMedal
Member for: 13 years 6 months

Postby ThingOne on Fri 12/Sep/08 9:25am

wgtngrl wrote:
DaveAldred wrote:XTR won't make you ride any better or faster than LX.

That is a LIE!!!!!

Def makes me faster. The mental side of the game is huge for me and any edge makes a difference. Though someone like Cabin for example (I could be wrong but suspect might not be) could happily jump on just about anything and kick it - cos he's wired like that.

If was wasn't racing though - I'd definitely find it hard to justify XTR unless I was swimming in cash (and if I wasn't racing I kind of would be... what's a girl to do!).

The mental edge of bling is a definite..
ThingOne
"www.bushloveracing.com"
Member for: 10 years 9 months

Postby molotovd on Fri 12/Sep/08 9:27am

jeremyb wrote: We should also mention that 99% of people on here who run XTR/X0 work in the bike industry, now if they were being honest and paying retail price what would they run :sly:

i'm not in the bike industry, so my comment still stands if its worth anything...?
molotovd
Member for: 11 years 7 months

Postby DaveAldred on Fri 12/Sep/08 9:31am

Hey Lisa.

I was wondering if anyone would be honest enough to say XTR etc gives them the mental edge. Nothing wrong with that of course. Its the only argument i'll get on board with.

For my mental edge I settle for shadow boxing and shouting "Feed the Warrior" as I climb.

Loved keeping up with your race reports during your trip away. Good job. Sounded like a helluva experience.
DaveAldred
"Bushlove - Strictly Sifting"
Member for: 11 years 9 months

Cycling | Mountain Biking - Latest Posts