What level of componentry do you generally use to replace your drivetrain?

Boutique CNC machined stuff no one has heard of
3%
X.0/XTR
15%
X.9/XT/Saint
63%
X.7/Deore/SLX
8%
X.5/Alivio or lower
1%
Whatever I can afford
6%
A BMX chain and two cogs
1%
You're supposed to replace your drivetrain?
3%

Total voters : 108

Postby pushbikerider on Sat 13/Sep/08 6:30am

SlackBoy wrote:
konaking wrote:
pushbikerider wrote: cassettes i tend to buy XT / ultegra, did buy a Sram PG990 (won't buy another one)
Chains, usually PC991 standard (non hollow), single speed normally get PC851
Shifters normally XTR, sometimes XT
Derailiers, mostly XT, I do have a few XTR's kicking round
Cables, normally Jagwire inner, with Dur-ace outers (I replace the inners frequently)

My buying habbits intems of quality haven't changed since the late ninties, the only thing now is that I have more bikes / parts and I tend to upgrade a bit more frequently

just got meself a jagwire red ripcord set to go with my new white frame to go with new painted frame
I really quite like the Clarks cable's setup. Nice and weather proof.
That being said, I use sp40 cable ends and stock shimano outer and inners and have no issues and my gears work minta

yeah, but you're a pro mechanic and all, I'm just a chump who plays with bikes
pushbikerider
"Gone Riding.........."
Member for: 15 years 7 months

Postby wellydex on Sat 13/Sep/08 6:45am

I replaced a full XT set up with a rohloff speedhub. Cost be about 2gs however for the type of riding I do (not racing) it is excellent and the maintenance costs are almost zero.
wellydex
Member for: 9 years 2 months

Postby highspeedsteel on Sat 13/Sep/08 8:26am

Replaced X9/X7 combo with a Rohloff speedhub, got it 2nd hand still expensive but not to bad if it lasts as long as they claim. Gets used on 2 bikes my MTB and my commuter.
highspeedsteel
Member for: 15 years 1 month

Postby slowMTB on Sat 13/Sep/08 9:32am

Run what ever came with the bike. If it claps out then will throw another one of "those" at it.

Only bit of advice worth its salt - when you get a new steed, pop the seals on ALL the bearings and pack em full of fresh grease - they will last for years :thumbsup:
slowMTB
Member for: 9 years 7 months

Postby Stun on Sat 13/Sep/08 9:50am

wellydex wrote: I replaced a full XT set up with a rohloff speedhub. Cost be about 2gs however for the type of riding I do (not racing) it is excellent and the maintenance costs are almost zero.

And here's the key.
It's pretty much upgrade proof, and quite frankly, Rohloff trumps both XTR and X0.
Well... it would if it didn't have a twist shifter. :huh:
Stun
Member for: 14 years 9 months

Postby HuntawayFR on Sat 13/Sep/08 10:37am

slowMTB wrote: Run what ever came with the bike. If it claps out then will throw another one of "those" at it.

Only bit of advice worth its salt - when you get a new steed, pop the seals on ALL the bearings and pack em full of fresh grease - they will last for years :thumbsup:

:crazy:
unless they are sealed bearings of course, which means you've just fucked the seal by poping it off, so water & shit can get in :thumbsup:
HuntawayFR
Member for: 10 years 9 months

Postby yakuza on Sat 13/Sep/08 12:37pm

HuntawayFR wrote:
slowMTB wrote: Run what ever came with the bike. If it claps out then will throw another one of "those" at it.

unless they are sealed bearings of course, which means you've just fucked the seal by poping it off, so water & shit can get in :thumbsup:
Wrong.

If you read the latest NZMTB mag, they show you how to grease sealed bearings
yakuza
Member for: 11 years 5 months

Postby HuntawayFR on Sat 13/Sep/08 12:52pm

yakuza wrote:
HuntawayFR wrote:

Wrong.

whats NZMTB mag, never heard of it :paranoid:
HuntawayFR

Postby slowMTB on Sat 13/Sep/08 2:50pm

yakuza wrote:
HuntawayFR wrote:

Wrong.

Thanks yakuza - these wippets have much to learn grass hopper :paranoid:
slowMTB

Postby HuntawayFR on Sat 13/Sep/08 4:41pm

slowMTB wrote:
yakuza wrote:
HuntawayFR wrote:

Wrong.

thats why wippets read NZMTB mag, & real mountain bikers read SPOKE ;) :p ;) :p
HuntawayFR

Postby Butch on Sat 13/Sep/08 4:53pm

HuntawayFR wrote:
slowMTB wrote:
yakuza wrote:
HuntawayFR wrote:

Wrong.

So you read mba? :p
Butch
"Like a monkey, ready to be shot into space!"
Member for: 11 years 1 month

Postby HuntawayFR on Sat 13/Sep/08 5:09pm

Butch wrote:
HuntawayFR wrote:
slowMTB wrote:
yakuza wrote:
HuntawayFR wrote:

Wrong.

use to, back in the mid 90's when I was the only MTB mag around
HuntawayFR

Postby Conners on Sat 13/Sep/08 5:19pm

HuntawayFR wrote:
Butch wrote:
HuntawayFR wrote:
slowMTB wrote:
yakuza wrote:
HuntawayFR wrote:

Wrong.

Wrong.
MBR and MountainBiker International were at their best in the mid 90s.
Oh, and what about NZBIKE? If you were a real mountainbiker back then you would've read that...
Conners
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 14 years 3 months

Postby slowMTB on Sat 13/Sep/08 5:47pm

Conners wrote:
HuntawayFR wrote:
Butch wrote:
HuntawayFR wrote:
slowMTB wrote:
yakuza wrote:
HuntawayFR wrote:

Wrong.

Wrong.
MBR and MountainBiker International were at their best in the mid 90s.
Oh, and what about NZBIKE? If you were a real mountainbiker back then you would've read that...

Its OK, I can't read :blush: . Tell me "HuntawayFR" - are you actually from Edendale down Southland way?
slowMTB

Postby Chickenman on Sat 13/Sep/08 5:57pm

I replace mine with X0. I can't possibly downgrade.
Chickenman
Member for: 15 years 4 months

Cycling | Mountain Biking - Latest Posts