14%
Japanese
8%
Other (what?)
41%

Total voters : 37

Re: What Language Should I Learn?

Postby CrustyMTB on Tue 26/May/09 9:32pm

istepinyards wrote:I'd go for Spanish. Good for travel.

:withstupid:
I like French but it's not much use outside of dodgy third world places, like France. I like German, but all the hot German chicks I ever met spoke English better than I did. Japanese is useful only in Japan. Chinese would be useful but it sure ain't sexy.

Spanish gets you Spain (=sexified) all of the America's apart from the cold bits where they speak English (apart from the Quebecois, but what they speak ISN'T french, and Brazil but hey) the Philipines, and some truly colourful bits of Africa.

And Spaniards and Latino's are teh hotness...
CrustyMTB
"Tucker's Law "If some cunt can fuck something up, that cunt will pick the worst possible time to fucking fuck it up, cause that cunt's a cunt.""
Member for: 13 years 5 months

Postby dicks-naughty-account on Tue 26/May/09 10:04pm

Welsh is a pretty rad language. moron means carrot :D. i say welsh. if not, then German. then you can yell at people like you're a Nazi officer.
dicks-naughty-account
"WRANGLER BUTTS DRIVE ME NUTS"
Member for: 9 years 11 months

Postby Trail on Tue 26/May/09 10:35pm

definitely spanish.

second most spoken after english in the western world... will have you almost understanding portugese at the same time... :thumbsup:
Trail
"Concentrating on technique"
Member for: 9 years 4 months

Postby slowMTB on Wed 27/May/09 7:46am

Inggrish ( Ing grish ) - nice cross over that ties up English / Japanese and Chinese all in one :thumbsup:

Inggrish FTW
slowMTB
Member for: 9 years 8 months

Postby psychavoc on Wed 27/May/09 8:37am

dented wrote:You need to learn Chinese.

I, for one, welcome our Chinese Overlords, and look forward to the day that their country provides the world with everything that we ever need.

Seriously though, I do wish I'd learnt mandarin. Knowing some cantonese is great in select parts of China, but mandarin is where it's at for everywhere else :huh:
psychavoc
"www.celiaridesbikes.com"
Member for: 14 years 5 months

Postby bugle on Wed 27/May/09 9:01am

psychavoc wrote:

I, for one, welcome our Chinese Overlords, and look forward to the day that their country provides the world with everything that we ever need.

Seriously though, I do wish I'd learnt mandarin. Knowing some cantonese is great in select parts of China, but mandarin is where it's at for everywhere else :huh:

Indeed learning the various tongues of the new overlords is a wise choice, though as much as it pains me Wachy is correct in saying there is no better language for yelling than German
bugle
"Bah, who hasn't killed the neighbour and rooted their corpse after one too many cab savs?"
Member for: 15 years 7 months

Postby mjc on Wed 27/May/09 9:16am

Spanish, South America rocks!

Spain aint bad either!

Actually, I've got to get my arse around to learning some Quechua (the forgotten language of the Inca) as most of the rural people in the areas we ride speak it before Spanish!
mjc
Member for: 12 years 8 months

Postby Henry Dorset Case on Wed 27/May/09 9:18am

dicks-naughty-account wrote:Welsh is a pretty rad language. moron means carrot :D. i say welsh. if not, then German. then you can yell at people like you're a Nazi officer.

Ve haff Vays of making you talk Englander pig-dog!!!! whats hard about that?
Henry Dorset Case
"[b]DO THEY SPEAK ENGLISH IN WHAT?[/b]"
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Postby Henry Dorset Case on Wed 27/May/09 9:20am

Trail wrote:definitely spanish.

second most spoken after english in the western world... will have you almost understanding portugese at the same time... :thumbsup:

useful in California, too, apparently.

50% of the population in greater LA speaks spanish. (or, things I have learned from watching TV)
Henry Dorset Case
"[b]DO THEY SPEAK ENGLISH IN WHAT?[/b]"
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Postby xcwander on Wed 27/May/09 9:27am

psychavoc wrote:

Mandarin has been useful, for work as well, again its a language you need to keep in touch with or you, will I do anyways, loose your fluency in it. I quickly gave up trying to learn the written form. :crazy:
xcwander
Member for: 10 years 9 months

Postby Tama on Wed 27/May/09 9:33am

I wish I could speak Maori - it's a such a nice sounding language and I'm proud to be a New Zealander. However I have the attention span of a lab rat on meth and the linguistic part of my brain seems to barely cope with English so I guess I'll just continue being mono-lingual :huh:
Tama
"Come on Ruthie let's dance"
Member for: 15 years 11 months

Postby scatter on Wed 27/May/09 9:46am

Tama wrote:I wish I could speak Maori - it's a such a nice sounding language and I'm proud to be a New Zealander

Maori, as a language, appeals as it has the same vowel sounds as Japanese. And I can roll my rrrrrr's like I was born in Gore :huh:

[juvenile] Patero! Teehee [/juvenile] Ah, the things you remember from primary school :D
scatter
"The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook"
Member for: 14 years 10 months

Postby mfw on Wed 27/May/09 10:36am

slidecontrol wrote:python.

nuff said

Perl FTW!
mfw
User avatarMedal
Member for: 10 years 0 months