Re: What Happened To All The Fish And Chip Shops In Chch?

Postby Oli on Wed 9/Mar/11 8:31am

happybaboon wrote:
Conners wrote:
happybaboon wrote:
Conners wrote:
happybaboon wrote:They probably like to build 'em in mostly brick/concrete type buildings due to the hotass oil being an epic fire risk. Concrete/brick buildings get totally fucked in earthquakes (as you've probably guessed by now...)

I bet that 99% of fish n chip shops in Chch were not purpose built to be fish n chip shops, therefore you point is void.

Uggh, so gee, when you were thinking of setting up a fish and chip shop you don't think you might want to pick a fire resistant building to put it in? :baaa:

Sure, that may be a good idea. But I doubt there is anything in the building code which actually stops you installing a deep fryer in a non concrete building.

But would you be able to insure it? And if it were a rental property would the owner want to rent a wood building to a fush and chup shop?
Here's what you said. HTH :thumbsup:
Oli
Member for: 12 years 11 months

Postby Percy Pig on Wed 9/Mar/11 9:05am

Wainoni fush supply is open, and still do mighty fine fush und chups! :thumbsup:

Oh, and they are in a concrete building, which is fine. :)
Percy Pig
"Got a bone?"
Member for: 16 years 2 months

Postby Conners on Wed 9/Mar/11 9:17am

Oli wrote:Here's what you said. HTH :thumbsup:

:D
Conners
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 15 years 0 months

Postby Scotty on Wed 9/Mar/11 9:31am

Conners wrote:
Oli wrote:Babs, I can think of about ten wooden fish and chip shops within a 3km radius of where I'm sitting - what the hell are you blabbering about?

happybaboon wrote:Someone said "Hey, a lot of fish and chip shops have collapsed" and I said "Well maybe it's because a lot of them are in concrete/brick buildings". If that doesn't make sense to people, well, I give up.

No you didn't - you wrote and passed legislation that any building with an internal heat source can not be of wooden construction :lol:

:lol:
Scotty
Member for: 16 years 4 months

Postby cruiser on Wed 9/Mar/11 10:06am

babs:
The building code requires heat and fire resistant surfaces near hazards and between tenancies, not buildings: heat/ smoke extraction and fire safety exits/ sprinklers and extinguishers if public use the building.

A building is never going to be 100% fireproof, but must be able to resist fire for 15/30/60min depending on what's on other side of wall/ ceiling to save lives and contain fires. That's what gib/ hardies/ stainless etc does. Most of the stainless you see around a chip shop are for hygiene compliance reasons moreso than fire.

The steel in concrete can explode concrete in a fire - so not always perfect. As do steel frame walls - expand and warps in fire. timber is fairly inert in a fire - until flame touches it :D
cruiser
Member for: 9 years 7 months

Postby FLATULENTFRIEND on Wed 9/Mar/11 10:47am

northernmonkey wrote:
znomit wrote:Gerry Brownlea has decided hes going to build a healthier city so he ordered the Bulldozers in on the ones that were still standing.

He can do shit like that.

More likely Gerry Brownlee demoed them trying to get at the fried foods inside... The man looks like a stranger to salad...

:baaa:
FLATULENTFRIEND
"I'm a Sponsored rider; My Wife Pays me to get out of the house!"
Member for: 9 years 9 months

Postby malcs on Thu 10/Mar/11 6:37pm

does anyone know about the "best little fish n chip" shop of Waltham Rd in St Martins? or the one on Centaurus Rd next to Fava?
malcs
"if you don't puke, you're not trying hard enough"
Member for: 10 years 1 month

Postby scatter on Thu 10/Mar/11 8:03pm

malcs wrote:does anyone know about the "best little fish n chip" shop of Waltham Rd in St Martins?

The one by the Westpac bank? Kaput as far as I know

or the one on Centaurus Rd next to Fava?

Still going strong :)
scatter
"The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook"
Member for: 15 years 6 months

Postby meganh on Fri 11/Mar/11 9:59pm

I arrived home this morning from a few days biking down south to find a pond on my front lawn. My water pipe must've had one aftershock too many and has sprung a fairly major leak so I've had to turn the water off. No water, can't be arsed cooking so time for fish & chips I thought.

Bad move. I live on the border of St Albans near Hills Road. My locals on Hills Rd are still all shut. So time for a drive around to find dinner.

Every shop I found that was still open had huge queues - the one that didn't appear to be too busy had a 50 minute wait... So.. time for fast food then?? BK in Moorhouse - closed. BK Carlton - unsurprisingly closed, thought it would be but had a squiz as I went past anyway. KFC Riccarton and Papanui - closed. Riccarton and Northlands malls with their food halls - closed. About the only place open were McD's - and then peering in the windows at Riccarton put me off with a huge line. I eventually found a bunch of shops in Upper Riccarton with a really nice Thai place. No wait, by then though it was close to 8pm.

Moral of this story?? With so many places to eat out of action, be prepared to wait (or maybe avoid fish and chip Friday??) I was beginning to wish I'd stayed in QT - but then would have ended up with a lake instead of a front lawn by the time I got home!
meganh
"Any day on a bike or skis is better than the best day at work!"
Member for: 10 years 6 months

Postby scatter on Fri 11/Mar/11 10:11pm

Awww! You shoulda come to the South side! I had great fish n chips from Cracroft tonight (soz to rub it in :huh: )
scatter
"The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook"
Member for: 15 years 6 months

Canterbury | Christchurch | Cycling | Food | Middle South Island | New Zealand | Regions | Sifting - Latest Posts