Re: What Happened To All The Fish And Chip Shops In Chch?

Postby Astoria Paranoia on Tue 8/Mar/11 10:12pm

happybaboon wrote:
Conners wrote:
happybaboon wrote:They probably like to build 'em in mostly brick/concrete type buildings due to the hotass oil being an epic fire risk. Concrete/brick buildings get totally fucked in earthquakes (as you've probably guessed by now...)

I bet that 99% of fish n chip shops in Chch were not purpose built to be fish n chip shops, therefore you point is void.

Uggh, so gee, when you were thinking of setting up a fish and chip shop you don't think you might want to pick a fire resistant building to put it in? :baaa:

Why?
They don't cook with fire ;)
Astoria Paranoia
User avatarMedal
Member for: 17 years 1 month

Postby Conners on Tue 8/Mar/11 10:16pm

happybaboon wrote:
Conners wrote:
happybaboon wrote:They probably like to build 'em in mostly brick/concrete type buildings due to the hotass oil being an epic fire risk. Concrete/brick buildings get totally fucked in earthquakes (as you've probably guessed by now...)

I bet that 99% of fish n chip shops in Chch were not purpose built to be fish n chip shops, therefore you point is void.

Uggh, so gee, when you were thinking of setting up a fish and chip shop you don't think you might want to pick a fire resistant building to put it in? :baaa:

Sure, that may be a good idea. But I doubt there is anything in the building code which actually stops you installing a deep fryer in a non concrete building.
Conners
User avatarMedal
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 16 years 2 months

Postby Conners on Tue 8/Mar/11 10:17pm

Astoria Paranoia wrote:Why?
They don't cook with fire ;)

Don't worry - babs will be sure to install a fire hose next to his deep fryer to put out the fire anyway.
Conners
User avatarMedal
"Seeing Double"

Postby happybaboon on Tue 8/Mar/11 10:19pm

Conners wrote:
happybaboon wrote:
Conners wrote:

Sure, that may be a good idea. But I doubt there is anything in the building code which actually stops you installing a deep fryer in a non concrete building.

But would you be able to insure it? And if it were a rental property would the owner want to rent a wood building to a fush and chup shop?
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 17 years 7 months

Postby great uncle bulgaria on Tue 8/Mar/11 10:22pm

znomit wrote:Gerry Brownlea has decided hes going to build a healthier city so he ordered the Bulldozers in on the ones that were still standing.

He can do shit like that.

:lol:
sonmeone should bulldoze HIS fridge
great uncle bulgaria
""misunderstood and persecuted""
Member for: 8 years 10 months

Postby Conners on Tue 8/Mar/11 10:25pm

happybaboon wrote:
Conners wrote:
happybaboon wrote:
Conners wrote:

But would you be able to insure it? And if it were a rental property would the owner want to rent a wood building to a fush and chup shop?

If I was the owner I'd be more worried about the lingering smell than the fire risk.
Remember that your average brick building is well fucked in a fire anyway, sure those bricks don't burn - but if all the framing is gone it's still toast.
Conners
User avatarMedal
"Seeing Double"

Postby great uncle bulgaria on Tue 8/Mar/11 10:27pm

the first and most spectacular was my mate in victoria street

other FF outlets dont seem to have suffered the same fate.

what does this mean?

did Mcdonalds and KFC organise the EQ(s) to take out some of their competitions? :huh:
great uncle bulgaria
""misunderstood and persecuted""
Member for: 8 years 10 months

Postby Oli on Tue 8/Mar/11 11:25pm

Babs, I can think of about ten wooden fish and chip shops within a 3km radius of where I'm sitting - what the hell are you blabbering about?
Oli
Member for: 14 years 1 month

Postby happybaboon on Wed 9/Mar/11 1:04am

Someone said "Hey, a lot of fish and chip shops have collapsed" and I said "Well maybe it's because a lot of them are in concrete/brick buildings". If that doesn't make sense to people, well, I give up.
happybaboon

Postby happybaboon on Wed 9/Mar/11 1:05am

Also, I can name three fast foody places near you that are made of wood and have had big fires in the last decade :D
happybaboon

Postby Bigfoot on Wed 9/Mar/11 3:54am

I just seem to recall much of Chch being made of brick, so I suppose the fish and chip places were no exception...
Bigfoot
"We are the Village Green Preservation Society"

Postby Slim on Wed 9/Mar/11 7:03am

pedalingkiwi wrote:And there have been some seriously worrying failures on some modern buildings I've seen on eastern side of Chch (eg; Eastgate Mall - large bits of tilt-slab wall off the Farmers & Warehouse boxes).

There has been alot of modern building failure in Bromley, but then the quake was about 4 times the design load, and even at the design load the rules are there to preserve life rather than preserve the building.
Slim
Member for: 16 years 1 month

Postby Conners on Wed 9/Mar/11 7:09am

Oli wrote:Babs, I can think of about ten wooden fish and chip shops within a 3km radius of where I'm sitting - what the hell are you blabbering about?

happybaboon wrote:Someone said "Hey, a lot of fish and chip shops have collapsed" and I said "Well maybe it's because a lot of them are in concrete/brick buildings". If that doesn't make sense to people, well, I give up.

No you didn't - you wrote and passed legislation that any building with an internal heat source can not be of wooden construction :lol:
Conners
User avatarMedal
"Seeing Double"

Postby RJD on Wed 9/Mar/11 7:53am

Red Snapper in sumner is open :D mmmm
RJD
Member for: 11 years 4 months

Postby scatter on Wed 9/Mar/11 8:20am

Huntsbury and Cracroft are open :D
scatter
"The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook"
Member for: 16 years 8 months

Canterbury | Christchurch | Cycling | Food | Middle South Island | New Zealand | Regions | Sifting - Latest Posts