Re: What's A Good Choice Of Cycle Trail Bike?

Postby Danny B on Thu 10/Jul/14 5:34pm

Scaredy_Cat wrote: I'm curious as to which angle/portion of the geo would you call 'derpy"?

I'm assuming we're talking XC bikes? Steep seattube angle - 74 degrees - fitted with zero setback seatposts, coupled with quite slack headtube angle - 68/69 degrees. Thats a derpy bike right there - not done for handling but manipulated to achieve shorter Reach. I think the women's Trek (model?) has geo along these lines. Surly's geometry gets derpy on the small sizes too.

FWIW I'm 5'6" and have a 15" 29er (Salsa El Mariachi). My wife is the same height as me and also rides my bike with a 3cm shorter stem.

... and sorry for getting shitty before peeps, not used to getting trolled on a forum for making what I thought was a well-intentioned and hopefully helpful post (at least to the OP). Maybe its be some 29er in-joke I'm not aware of... weird.
Danny B
Member for: 4 years 1 month

Postby jo on Thu 10/Jul/14 6:04pm

Danny B. Similarly my intention was to represent that small 29ers are ridden successfully and enjoyably by shorter than average people. I havent abused you or your bikes, so why are you calling mine derpy? Who is acting like the troll? And confusing the matter?

For the original poster - Ride a bike, if you like it, buy it. Dont let someone elses assumption about what sort of riding you do or should do limit you. Talk to a good wrench about the gripshift or internal hubs or consider if your trails could be ridden in a single front ring. If you have a disability and still love to ride trail and are willing to find a technical workaround then that is absolutely fabulous.
jo
"Windy"
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Postby ryda on Thu 10/Jul/14 6:07pm

Danny B wrote:
Scaredy_Cat wrote: I'm curious as to which angle/portion of the geo would you call 'derpy"?

I'm assuming we're talking XC bikes? Steep seattube angle - 74 degrees - fitted with zero setback seatposts, coupled with quite slack headtube angle - 68/69 degrees. Thats a derpy bike right there - not done for handling but manipulated to achieve shorter Reach. I think the women's Trek (model?) has geo along these lines. Surly's geometry gets derpy on the small sizes too.
Firstly don't assume, Secondly please link me to a xc bike with 74/68-69 geo ?, thirdly how many small/xsmall 29'rsv have you owned ?

PS the Giant Trance is not a "XC" bike
ryda
"WTF"
Member for: 11 years 8 months

Postby Oli on Thu 10/Jul/14 7:13pm

If the OP hasn't gone running to the hills after reading this thread I'll be amazed. So much aggro for so little reason.
Oli
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Postby Wobbler on Thu 10/Jul/14 8:11pm

Oli wrote:If the OP hasn't gone running to the hills after reading this thread I'll be amazed. So much aggro for so little reason.

toe overlap is serious business :angry:
Wobbler
Member for: 11 years 11 months

Postby nagem on Thu 10/Jul/14 8:22pm

Just buy her a bike. Any bike.
nagem
"Some days gnawing through the leather straps just doesn't seem worthwhile."
Member for: 8 years 7 months

Postby Slim on Thu 10/Jul/14 8:52pm

nagem wrote:Just buy her a bike. Any bike.

get one in the colour she likes, everything else is a compromise.
Slim
Member for: 14 years 2 months

Postby nagem on Fri 11/Jul/14 11:05am

:withstupid:
nagem
"Some days gnawing through the leather straps just doesn't seem worthwhile."
Member for: 8 years 7 months

Postby Dave Hansford on Mon 14/Jul/14 6:52pm

Thanks everyone for the benefit of your knowledge and experience. You've given me a lot to mull over... Yes, my wife's disability means she can only use her left hand. I did think of grip shifts, but it never occurred to me to simply reverse one, so that's a good suggestion. Regarding brakes; I've found a modification on the net where both brake lines issue from a single piston - simple and brilliant. So we're getting there... Point taken about 29ers too: probably not that important in the grand scheme of things.

Thanks again everyone...

Dave
Dave Hansford
Member for: 3 years 3 months

Postby philstar on Mon 14/Jul/14 11:48pm

Dave Hansford wrote:Thanks everyone for the benefit of your knowledge and experience. You've given me a lot to mull over... Yes, my wife's disability means she can only use her left hand. I did think of grip shifts, but it never occurred to me to simply reverse one, so that's a good suggestion. Regarding brakes; I've found a modification on the net where both brake lines issue from a single piston - simple and brilliant. So we're getting there... Point taken about 29ers too: probably not that important in the grand scheme of things.

Thanks again everyone...

Dave

when you get something, come back and tell us what you got (with picks please) and how it went :)
philstar
"misanthropic"
Member for: 11 years 7 months

Postby UK_Exile on Tue 15/Jul/14 8:12am

philstar wrote:
Dave Hansford wrote:Thanks everyone for the benefit of your knowledge and experience. You've given me a lot to mull over... Yes, my wife's disability means she can only use her left hand. I did think of grip shifts, but it never occurred to me to simply reverse one, so that's a good suggestion. Regarding brakes; I've found a modification on the net where both brake lines issue from a single piston - simple and brilliant. So we're getting there... Point taken about 29ers too: probably not that important in the grand scheme of things.

Thanks again everyone...

Dave

when you get something, come back and tell us what you got (with picks please) and how it went :)

Second that request. Always good to hear about choices & how they went
UK_Exile
Member for: 12 years 4 months

Cycling | Mountain Biking | Trail Riding - Latest Posts