Re: What's A Good Choice Of Cycle Trail Bike?

Postby Scaredy_Cat on Thu 10/Jul/14 1:15pm

jo wrote:Good golly. Mighty assumption tho eh. I should introduce you to some women I know in their 50s....

You can come and help me shop for an electric bike with a springy seat in a few years, jo :D :sly:
Scaredy_Cat
""RIDER!!!" :-D"
Member for: 11 years 1 month

Postby Danny B on Thu 10/Jul/14 1:21pm

ryda wrote:I'm a jerk with nothing constructive to add :lol:

FTFY

I was just trying to be helpful and making some basic assumptions based upon the fact that he said that his wife A) has a hand related disabilty, and B) said they were looking for a bike for riding cycle trails (...not race the Cape Epic).

And yes, stock 29ers for riders under 5'6" generally have derpy geometry. Deal with it.
Last edited by Danny B on Thu 10/Jul/14 1:31pm, edited 1 time in total.
Danny B
Member for: 4 years 1 month

Postby UK_Exile on Thu 10/Jul/14 1:23pm

Just a guess really based on 'keen to do some' 'cycle trail' 'won't be going too hard out' and the whole style of question in first place. Speed doesn't seem to be the question however there's been some jumping into 29, 27.5, 26 debate which is usually is a speed thing. I'm thinking 'good choice' query is more about comfort. And no, I'm not assuming the mentioned disability means low capability, far from it. Chance are has determination level above the average person because of it (FYI I've been a volunteer at multi day out activity camps for disabled people)
UK_Exile
Member for: 12 years 4 months

Postby jo on Thu 10/Jul/14 1:34pm

"hard out" means different things to different people.
Maybe a few less hucks is my interpretation cos for some reason mtb films make it seem like thats what its all about.
Older (than me) folk are often just as fast as me, or faster, but they do tend to be more risk averse.
It can be harder for them to stay fit but for some exercise becomes how they spend their whole weekend. But that just makes them more keen to get into the hills.
Disability also means a range of things. Theres a bunch of things that make using a thumb shifter very difficult, and above there are many good work arounds available.

No need to consign someone to a gel seat before they actually go crackers*.

*may contain traces of sarcasm
jo
"Windy"
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Postby Scaredy_Cat on Thu 10/Jul/14 1:40pm

Danny B wrote:FTFY

I was just trying to be helpful and making some basic assumptions based upon the fact that he said that his wife A) has a hand related disabilty, and B) said they were looking for a bike for riding cycle trails (...not race the Cape Epic).

And yes, stock 29ers for riders under 5'6" generally have derpy geometry. Deal with it.

I am about 5'1". I have no toe overlap on my 29'er. I'm curious as to which angle/portion of the geo would you call 'derpy"?
Scaredy_Cat

Postby UK_Exile on Thu 10/Jul/14 1:47pm

Chill. I may be wrong, so may others. Let's wait for Dave to reply
UK_Exile
Member for: 12 years 4 months

Postby Scaredy_Cat on Thu 10/Jul/14 1:52pm

Well said... climbing down off my high horse now :blush:
Scaredy_Cat

Postby Zoom on Thu 10/Jul/14 1:52pm

ryda wrote:I'm a jerk with nothing constructive to add :lol:

LOL it is your fault this thread has degenerated!
Zoom
Member for: 10 years 7 months

Postby slidecontrol on Thu 10/Jul/14 2:02pm

I like scaredy cats horse
slidecontrol
"YOLO = carpe diem for idiots"
Member for: 10 years 6 months

Postby jo on Thu 10/Jul/14 2:04pm

Its all rydas fault. And I like SC's horse also.
jo
"Windy"

Postby Zoom on Thu 10/Jul/14 2:26pm

jo wrote:Its all rydas fault. And I like SC's horse also.

She actually has a "pony"
Zoom
Member for: 10 years 7 months

Postby jo on Thu 10/Jul/14 2:27pm

:0
edit: No comment.
jo
"Windy"

Postby ryda on Thu 10/Jul/14 2:39pm

jo wrote:Its all rydas fault.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
ryda
"WTF"
Member for: 11 years 8 months

Postby Simonius_Titius on Thu 10/Jul/14 2:55pm

Speaking as a chap in his fifties, I recently had a lovely ride on some of the rail trail that ends up in Oamaru.
I met another wrinkly who seemed very comfortable on his beautiful new full sus Bergamont.

I was equally happy on a rusty no-sus Warehouse nastybike which had a sticker specifically warning against off-road riding.
I checked carefully, the only aluminium on my bike was the brakes and brake levers.

Steel rims are very heavy and awful in the rain, and it did rain. It didn't matter, there were no steep grades or reasons to brake quickly.
Dented rims tend to produce brake lockups at the worst possible time. Mine weren't dented but if they had been it would not have mattered.

Shifting on the 7 x 3 drivetrain was very slow, which didn't matter at all.

The front shift was particularly uncertain with trimming needed but this would not be a problem for someone who could use a grip shifter with their right hand since shifts were seldom needed and never under any time pressure. I would have adjusted the front D to index better if that had mattered, but it didn't.

The saddle is the obvious likely sore point, but with bike pants it was amazingly OK.

I have a friend who rode the whole trail from Mt Cook happily on her own nasty old hybrid. She's posh so probably has aluminium rims though.

Wheel size is about the only thing which matters on a long cycle path. In the unlikely event you need a new tyre or wheel 26" is available in 1200% more places than any other size. In the rural hinterland it will often be more than a day's walk between towns big enough to support a bike shop with any other size of tyre.
Simonius_Titius
"The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off. - Gloria Steinem"
Member for: 8 years 0 months

Postby RugbySucks on Thu 10/Jul/14 3:47pm

I have Four 29ers, (hard tail and full-sus) two of which do double duty when I fit 650 wheelsets to them for tight single track, or technical track. Depends on the mood...

The frame sizes range from 16.5" to 18". I'm 5'9". Makes are Pivot, Kona, and a Haro.

No troubles with toe overlap on any of my bikes.

The travel on the forks I use, starts at 100mm.
RugbySucks
Member for: 9 years 9 months

Cycling | Mountain Biking | Trail Riding - Latest Posts