Re: What's Good In 4wd Wagons These Days?

Postby ChumlyPogward on Wed 1/Oct/14 1:56pm

danose wrote:
ChumlyPogward wrote:Honestly, a Toyota Wish. 7 seater

in that case scotty should also get a pile of those bloody 'my family' sticker for the back, a brown cardigan and get rid of his will to live :satan:

Nothing like a bit of emasculation to set him on the correct future....

TBH I bought it for the wife, and she is entirely happy with it. I myself drive an 80 series Landcruiser, and even that big boy can barely fit my massive cock.
ChumlyPogward
Member for: 8 years 2 months

Postby swtchbckr on Wed 1/Oct/14 2:52pm

from my understanding dsg is basically a normal manual gearbox (well, actually 2 half gearboxes), with an robotic clutch and shifter... whereas CVTs are a rubberband on two conic spindles... totally different beasts.
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 14 years 3 months

Postby Scotty on Wed 1/Oct/14 5:37pm

Google adsense is rather clever, 2cheapcars and Audi A3 advertising is now showing up quite a bit. :lol:
Scotty
Member for: 17 years 4 months

Postby dwgknz on Wed 1/Oct/14 5:47pm

Scotty wrote:Google adsense is rather clever, 2cheapcars and Audi A3 advertising is now showing up quite a bit. :lol:

Google must know you're way richer than me, I'm getting adverts for the Foton Tunland.
dwgknz
Member for: 6 years 4 months

Postby mark2c on Wed 1/Oct/14 5:55pm

Manual VAG diesel: A4/A6, Passat, Octavia or Superb. Go like stink with a remap.

But... doesn't fit the price range and rare as rocking horse droppings.
mark2c
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Postby danose on Wed 1/Oct/14 6:25pm

ChumlyPogward wrote:I myself drive an 80 series Landcruiser, and even that big boy can barely fit my massive cock.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

not quite as cool as a mog but it'll do :D
danose
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"
Member for: 15 years 1 month

Postby foremannz on Wed 1/Oct/14 6:50pm

Dont be so quick to bash the CVT - I did 78,000km in a Primera CVT in 12 months from new, and I ABUSED the hell out of it - apart from it needing a different approach to driving, it gave no problems at all, nada, and to repair it if it does go is pretty cheap because its mainstream and very simple. DSG on the other hand it a bunch of expensive springs attached to a grenade ...
foremannz
Member for: 9 years 11 months

Postby happybaboon on Wed 1/Oct/14 7:03pm

I heard that if you drive a CVT your penis falls off.
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 17 years 5 months

Postby philstar on Wed 1/Oct/14 7:14pm

foremannz wrote:Dont be so quick to bash the CVT - I did 78,000km in a Primera CVT in 12 months from new, and I ABUSED the hell out of it - apart from it needing a different approach to driving, it gave no problems at all, nada, and to repair it if it does go is pretty cheap because its mainstream and very simple. DSG on the other hand it a bunch of expensive springs attached to a grenade ...

the problem with CVTs is if they go they are FUBARed, a friend had an early one in a Primera (could have been a bluebird), had a steel belt with lots of little wedges attached running between two sets of two cones. the belt broke and the little wedges went everywhere and stuffed everything. but I am assuming they have fixed that problem now.

Enjoyed driving my mums Honda with a CVT, under gentle acceleration sits on 2krpm from about 20kph to 100kph. when you give it a bit of jandal it shoots up to red line then stays there :) It has been reported that the newer ones may not do this as "people" like the feel of gear changes and non constant acceleration. that may be why you see things advertised as7 speed CVT but that could be referring to tiptronic mode (which in my mums was slightly better for getting off the line)
philstar
"misanthropic"
Member for: 13 years 4 months

Postby foremannz on Sat 4/Oct/14 6:34am

LOL, yep, my 2006 P12 Primera liked to sit at 5,500rpm ALL THE TIME! Like it or not, CVT is in so many cars, that it must be more reliable than when I had mine, and I had no problems with mine at all.
foremannz

Postby Scotty on Sat 4/Oct/14 6:40pm

foremannz wrote:LOL, yep, my 2006 P12 Primera liked to sit at 5,500rpm ALL THE TIME! .

Wait, wut? Your fuel economy musta been OTA.
Scotty
Member for: 17 years 4 months

Postby Fraser on Sun 5/Oct/14 3:04am

:eh: In fact CVT gearbox (multi-tronic) is in most Audi's as an Automatic. It's problem is that it can only transmit 310nm of torque. It is a metal band like a chain suspended in oil. Image The oil needs to be changed religiously as they have finer tolerances and there is alot more wear from the 'chain' over time.
They have a automatic gearbox with a torque converter (Tip-tronic) which can handle the higher torque.
There is a manual gearbox the wet drive abuses this just like any car.
The DSG is called S-tronic in Audi and the only need to have the oil changed every 60,000km as the clutches are wet conical clutches rather than a dry plates.

In terms of reliability the DSG S-tronic is miles ahead of the CVT Multitronic. As the DSG adjusts for wear between services and is mechanically more sympathetic to itself, it blips on downshifts and is engaged unless it is changing gear. Unless you are talking one that is very early or high mileage then I would go with the DSG. They have made over 3 million of them and drive alot better than any automatic.
Fraser
Member for: 17 years 6 months

Postby foremannz on Sun 5/Oct/14 7:24am

Scotty wrote:
foremannz wrote:LOL, yep, my 2006 P12 Primera liked to sit at 5,500rpm ALL THE TIME! .

Wait, wut? Your fuel economy musta been OTA.

LOL, ok, a little exageration, but on acceleration sure - once you start driving it properly, it has the potential to be more economic than a standard auto. One thing I would say with a CVT is you will burn through gas on hilly crappy roads if you drive it like a retard, but on smooth open roads, its very good to drive with a hot moca in 1 hand ...
foremannz

Cars | Motoring | Sifting - Latest Posts