Re: What's Good In 4wd Wagons These Days?

Postby Scotty on Wed 1/Oct/14 9:57am

Henry Dorset Case wrote:
Scotty wrote:look, guys, I'm SICK of you ignoring one of my key criteria!....

I can't buy a Unimog for 10-15k. :(


http://www.unimogs.co.uk/machinedetail. ... ring=U1171


portacabin on the back, lovely jubbly.

being a Unimog you should drive it back from the UK. I'll come with.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a saltshaker half-full of cocaine, and a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers... Also, a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether, and two dozen amyls. Not that we needed all that for the trip, but once you get locked into a serious drug collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can. The only thing that really worried me was the ether. There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge, and I knew we'd get into that rotten stuff pretty soon.
Scotty
User avatar
Member for: 17 years 7 months

Re: What's Good In 4wd Wagons These Days?

Postby Henry Dorset Case on Wed 1/Oct/14 10:28am

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/buses/1 ... 485486.htm

I could have bought this instead of our Subaru
Henry Dorset Case
User avatar
"[b]DO THEY SPEAK ENGLISH IN WHAT?[/b]"
Member for: 17 years 6 months

Re: What's Good In 4wd Wagons These Days?

Postby EoinC on Wed 1/Oct/14 10:52am

Of course, if it's for getting the kids to soccer practice, you probably want a Pinzgauer

Still ignoring the key criteria quite successfully.
EoinC
Member for: 9 years 2 months

Re: What's Good In 4wd Wagons These Days?

Postby Scotty on Wed 1/Oct/14 11:14am

Do Subaru make a unimog?
Scotty
User avatar
Member for: 17 years 7 months

Re: What's Good In 4wd Wagons These Days?

Postby psychavoc on Wed 1/Oct/14 11:19am

NO UNIMOGS :hmmm:

I feel like the Surf is unimoggy enough as it is.
psychavoc
User avatar
"www.celiaridesbikes.com"
Member for: 16 years 3 months

Re: What's Good In 4wd Wagons These Days?

Postby Henry Dorset Case on Wed 1/Oct/14 11:23am

EoinC wrote:Of course, if it's for getting the kids to soccer practice, you probably want a Pinzgauer

Still ignoring the key criteria quite successfully.


Fuck me that's impressive.

NZDF have them too.
Henry Dorset Case
User avatar
"[b]DO THEY SPEAK ENGLISH IN WHAT?[/b]"
Member for: 17 years 6 months

Re: What's Good In 4wd Wagons These Days?

Postby danose on Wed 1/Oct/14 11:39am

swtchbckr wrote:Avoid the Volvos. Mate of mine is an autotrans and gearbox guy and he would say STAY AWAY - if the trans goes in the XC's or the Vs they're pretty much a write off. Your 15K car suddenly needs an 8K part... and it's not that uncommon for them to fuck out either...


same is also true of newer subarus with the CVT - and a hell of a lot of other cars to be honest.

you should ask him what he thinks of VW's DSG boxes then - they're even more scary!!!!
danose
User avatar
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"
Member for: 15 years 4 months

Re: What's Good In 4wd Wagons These Days?

Postby Henry Dorset Case on Wed 1/Oct/14 11:46am

danose wrote:same is also true of newer subarus with the CVT - and a hell of a lot of other cars to be honest.
!


I thnk we will trade ours after the three year warranty is up. though if it shits itself after that I will expect them to fix it.... I am a consumer and the thing should last longer than 3yrs. fitness for purpose and all that malarkey
Henry Dorset Case
User avatar
"[b]DO THEY SPEAK ENGLISH IN WHAT?[/b]"
Member for: 17 years 6 months

Re: What's Good In 4wd Wagons These Days?

Postby CrustyMTB on Wed 1/Oct/14 12:21pm

Scotty wrote:We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a saltshaker half-full of cocaine, and a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers... Also, a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether, and two dozen amyls. Not that we needed all that for the trip, but once you get locked into a serious drug collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can. The only thing that really worried me was the ether. There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge, and I knew we'd get into that rotten stuff pretty soon.

Henry Dorset Case wrote: I am a consumer...
:o

Had a spin in the neighbour's 15 yo discovery a few weeks ago, thirsty (v8) wallows on the road, but my internal monologue had an upper class twit accent, which was fun.
CrustyMTB
User avatar
"Tucker's Law "If some cunt can fuck something up, that cunt will pick the worst possible time to fucking fuck it up, cause that cunt's a cunt.""
Member for: 15 years 4 months

Re: What's Good In 4wd Wagons These Days?

Postby ryda on Wed 1/Oct/14 12:28pm

Scotty wrote:
So I have the following criteria:

1) Around 10-15k............................. def under 15K
2) 2000 or newer............................... check
3) 4WD or AWD................................ check
4) Lowish kms (under a hundy thou is fine) check
5) Not a Subaru................................ check
6) Petrol........................................ if you like but tastes shit


Image
ryda
User avatar
"WTF"
Member for: 13 years 8 months

Re: What's Good In 4wd Wagons These Days?

Postby ChumlyPogward on Wed 1/Oct/14 12:40pm

Honestly, a Toyota Wish. 7 seater but the rears fold down to make as good as a station wagon flat space, plus the rears are big enough for adults. Then the middle ones fold flat as well, AND the passenger seat folds flat too so you can fit really quite long things in. We have a 2wd version, but there are awd ones.

They are not the most involving thing to drive but it is a pretty sweet all rounder, stupidly economical to run and pretty cheap too.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/SearchResults.aspx?searchString=toyota+wish+4wd&rptpath=all&type=Search&searchType=all&generalSearch_keypresses=12&generalSearch_suggested=15&generalSearch_suggestedCategory=
ChumlyPogward
User avatar
Member for: 8 years 5 months

Re: What's Good In 4wd Wagons These Days?

Postby danose on Wed 1/Oct/14 1:35pm

Henry Dorset Case wrote:I thnk we will trade ours after the three year warranty is up. though if it shits itself after that I will expect them to fix it.... I am a consumer and the thing should last longer than 3yrs. fitness for purpose and all that malarkey


the expense/unreliability of DSG boxes caused a real consumer back-lash in aus, in the end vw had to extend the 'normal' new car warranty to cover the box for 10 years (and subsequent owners, not just the original) - cos who's gonna buy a new car that NO-ONE would buy off them used?
danose
User avatar
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"
Member for: 15 years 4 months

Re: What's Good In 4wd Wagons These Days?

Postby danose on Wed 1/Oct/14 1:37pm

ChumlyPogward wrote:Honestly, a Toyota Wish. 7 seater


in that case scotty should also get a pile of those bloody 'my family' sticker for the back, a brown cardigan and get rid of his will to live :satan:
danose
User avatar
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"
Member for: 15 years 4 months

Re: What's Good In 4wd Wagons These Days?

Postby swtchbckr on Wed 1/Oct/14 1:40pm

danose wrote:
swtchbckr wrote:Avoid the Volvos. Mate of mine is an autotrans and gearbox guy and he would say STAY AWAY - if the trans goes in the XC's or the Vs they're pretty much a write off. Your 15K car suddenly needs an 8K part... and it's not that uncommon for them to fuck out either...


same is also true of newer subarus with the CVT - and a hell of a lot of other cars to be honest.

you should ask him what he thinks of VW's DSG boxes then - they're even more scary!!!!

i think he quite likes them...(cha-chinggggg) - they're pretty much just two regular manual gear boxes odd and even numbered gears, interspliced with each other and a robotic clutch, arent they? what could possibly go wrong? (actually, a lot less than you'd imagine, being 'regular manual gearboxes'...) :lol:
swtchbckr
User avatar
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 14 years 7 months

Re: What's Good In 4wd Wagons These Days?

Postby dwgknz on Wed 1/Oct/14 1:45pm

What's the real difference between CVT and DSG?

We have a CVT and my thought is to get rid of it before the 3 year warranty expires (depending on depreciation of course but we got a very good price).

I understand the cvt is a giant rubber band, is the dsg is a black box of smoke and mirrors, but does one give more power, or more even power, or more efficiency......
dwgknz
User avatar
Member for: 6 years 7 months

Cars | Motoring | Sifting - Latest Posts

Who is online

56 Users browsing this website: DotBot, Google [Bot] and 54 guests

REMEBER TO CLICK THE LINKS WHEN BUYING FROM VORB SUPPORTERS


  • Vorb Shop
  • Wiggle
  • Chain Reaction Cycles
  • GT Bicycles
  • ProBikeKit