What Fork Do I Want?

Postby Spokes on Sun 20th Sep 4:27pm

Got no idea these days on where to ask questions like this.

So Ive come back to MTB, well EMTB after arthritis etc has had its way with me. I get a lot of hand/wrist pain on them oh so fun downhillish runs. My bike has a Rockshox 35 gold on it. Thinking a better fork could help me out.

Just fitted some Oneup cardboard fibre bars with some nice ODI grips which have helped.

So if I went out and bought some new forks, what do I want?
Spokes
""Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."--W.C. Fields"
Member for: 14 years 11 months

Re: What Fork Do I Want?

Postby Velocipedestrian on Sun 20th Sep 10:15pm

Coil could help if comfort is required.
What are they going on? Travel?
Velocipedestrian
"Now bicycles were never made for pale green pants to ride 'em. Especially spooky pale green pants with nobody inside 'em."
Member for: 14 years 0 months

Postby Spokes on Mon 21st Sep 6:30am

Velocipedestrian wrote:Coil could help if comfort is required.
What are they going on? Travel?

Merida EOne sixty. So 160mm.
Spokes
""Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."--W.C. Fields"
Member for: 14 years 11 months

Postby Velocipedestrian on Mon 21st Sep 9:50am

Cane Creek does the Helm in coil as a stock option. Or the Marzocchi Z1, MRP Ribbon...
Beyond those you're probably looking at a conversion kit for coil.

Dougal can no doubt tell you all about tuning the Manitou Mezzer spring for comfort.
Velocipedestrian
"Now bicycles were never made for pale green pants to ride 'em. Especially spooky pale green pants with nobody inside 'em."
Member for: 14 years 0 months

Postby AgrAde on Wed 23rd Sep 10:10pm

The most comfortable fork I've ridden is the Mattoc. Combined with Dougal's support, a Manitou might be hard to look past if you're really trying to get the most comfort.

I really enjoyed the Helm, but I had a number of failures in both my air spring and damper. Would not buy again.

Having owned both the Helm coil and air forks, I wouldn't bother with coil. The air was better.

It's hard to overstate the importance of using a decent sized tire with a sidewall that suits your riding, and running it tubeless and at the right pressure. My bike is harsh with a light single ply tire in the front because I have to run a little too much pressure to keep it stable. It's harsh with a heavy dual ply because the sidewall is too stiff. It's smooth with an armoured mid-weight tire because it all balances out with the pressure I run and the terrain I ride. The heavy dual ply in the back is comfy for the same reason.
AgrAde
Member for: 16 years 10 months

Bikes + Frames + Forks | Cycling | Forks | Suspension Forks - Latest Posts