What Does It Take To Puncture Cycling’s Insular Bro Culture?

Postby Kev on Sat 7th Jan 10:55am

https://maisonneuve.org/article/2016/10/24/chain-reaction/
BIKE SHOPS ARE KNOWN for being snobby, patronizing bastions of bro culture. Customers often complain that mechanics and sales staff talk down to them, assuming that women in particular have no mechanical knowledge about their bicycles.
Kev
Member for: 8 years 1 month

Re: What Does It Take To Puncture Cycling’s Insular Bro Culture?

Postby comadi on Sat 7th Jan 9:21pm

Can't comment, wrong country :hmmm:
comadi
Member for: 1 year 0 months

Postby FLATULENTFRIEND on Wed 11th Jan 5:59pm

"social capital that comes along with bucking gender norms and being a woman in a male-dominated trade.".....and the piece is full of more of that PC crap.

She could've stayed working in a job that respected her and paid her 4 x what she got from the bike shop and enjoyed working on her and her friend's bikes.

"But Shewfelt says that pushback against the women, trans and non-binary program has also generated some positive outcomes. For one, media coverage about the human rights complaint resulted in increased public recognition and attendance for the program. As well, some of BikeWorks’ board members and volunteers who hadn’t fully understood the kind of sexism women face received an object lesson in male entitlement via the flood of hate. Christopher Chan says that his own feelings about the necessity of the program have been “transformed” as a result. He’s become more aware of general social issues and of the “hatred and violence” from people who are angry that a program like this exists. “As a male who is never the target of that,” he says, “it’s sometimes hard to believe how prevalent those attitudes can be. Being forced to face and respond to it gives me a bit of insight I didn’t have before.” "

i'm surprised they didn't fit some hatred for Trump and BLM in there :hmmm:
FLATULENTFRIEND
"I'm a Sponsored rider; My Wife Pays me to get out of the house!"
Member for: 9 years 0 months

Postby rachelr on Thu 12th Jan 10:39am

Sorry I can't work out if you're trying to be clever in your commentary on the article or if you genuinely don't see any problem with how the woman in the article was treated.
rachelr
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Barbsarama
Member for: 8 years 3 months

Postby scatter on Thu 12th Jan 12:05pm

FLATULENTFRIEND wrote:She could've stayed working in a job that respected her and paid her 4 x what she got from the bike shop and enjoyed working on her and her friend's bikes.

Except that she wanted to work as a bike mechanic :eh:

Gender should NEVER preclude anyone from pursuing any vocation
scatter
"The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook"
Member for: 14 years 9 months

Postby scatter on Thu 12th Jan 12:12pm

It wasn’t the first time the shop had received pushback. Men had, in the past, stood out front on program days, hollering violent, gendered abuse; Shewfelt says that one time, a man, targeting two women customers, yelled, “All you lesbians need to be raped.”

If you think that this is okay (and that highlighting that this happened is "PC crap"), then you are a horrible horrible human being.
scatter
"The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook"
Member for: 14 years 9 months

Postby Rik on Thu 12th Jan 12:17pm

Do you know what. I was up at the adventure park yesterday evening, and I reckon I saw just as many female riders as male riders.

I don't know about the Canadian biking gender split, but any shop manager in NZ would be moronic if they actively discouraged female staff or customers.
Rik
""Cities are becoming more rational again, after the folly of car-centric planning," Colville-Andersen"
Member for: 9 years 4 months

Postby Barbsarama on Thu 12th Jan 12:18pm

:withstupid:

Edit: Dammit, this was supposed to be in response to Scatter not Rik!
Last edited by Barbsarama on Thu 12th Jan 1:02pm, edited 1 time in total.
Barbsarama
Member for: 8 years 3 months

Postby Wobbler on Thu 12th Jan 12:26pm

Rik wrote:Do you know what. I was up at the adventure park yesterday evening, and I reckon I saw just as many female riders as male riders.

Wasn't there a ladies night thing on there last night?
Wobbler
Member for: 11 years 11 months

Postby Rik on Thu 12th Jan 12:31pm

Wobbler wrote:
Rik wrote:Do you know what. I was up at the adventure park yesterday evening, and I reckon I saw just as many female riders as male riders.

Wasn't there a ladies night thing on there last night?

Sssh Stop trying to dilute my argument :p.
Rik
""Cities are becoming more rational again, after the folly of car-centric planning," Colville-Andersen"
Member for: 9 years 4 months

Postby jo on Thu 12th Jan 12:53pm

Its not even an argument Rik.

She wants to be a bike mechanic. The shop is jacking her round, which we assume, given the person who did get the job, is gender based.
Undoubtedly she should leave and work for a shop who actually wants a trained bike mechanic cos this one doesnt seem to want one of those.

Even if there were NO female bike riders out there, being female doesnt preclude you from being able to use an allen key. :rolleyes:
jo
"Windy"
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Postby rachelr on Thu 12th Jan 1:24pm

Rik wrote:I don't know about the Canadian biking gender split, but any shop manager in NZ would be moronic if they actively discouraged female staff or customers.

Rik, isn't that one of the points of the article - even when the industry is actively discussing how to sell to female customers, they're still moronically perpetuating the "women are just tits and ass window-dressing" at the same time in so many parts of the industry and that objectification and creepy leering IS discouraging women? And they don't seem to really want to address that issue tho they're clearly keen to crack onto that lovely spending power..
Simple participation in riding numbers isn't good enough (although increases is fabulous); women working in shops in technical roles and not having to become "one of the boys" in manner and attitudes is one way you would know if you had achieved some real cultural change and actually made women equal.
rachelr
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Postby philstar on Thu 12th Jan 3:00pm

rachelr wrote:
Rik wrote:I don't know about the Canadian biking gender split, but any shop manager in NZ would be moronic if they actively discouraged female staff or customers.

Rik, isn't that one of the points of the article - even when the industry is actively discussing how to sell to female customers, they're still moronically perpetuating the "women are just tits and ass window-dressing" at the same time in so many parts of the industry and that objectification and creepy leering IS discouraging women? And they don't seem to really want to address that issue tho they're clearly keen to crack onto that lovely spending power..
Simple participation in riding numbers isn't good enough (although increases is fabulous); women working in shops in technical roles and not having to become "one of the boys" in manner and attitudes is one way you would know if you had achieved some real cultural change and actually made women equal.

I did not think that the article was particularly eloquent and or salient (admittedly I did not read the whole thing) which detracted from a real issue. A lot of it was simular to feminist using the 78c on the dollar argument for pay equality, bad statistics that detract from a real issue.

In my opinion the when the shop hire the other (less skilled) person over her is when she should have given them an ultimatum or quit, and this is part of the inequality problem. (but then again my work promised me something's, and due to change of management have not delivered, and I have not quit). but to be devils advocate the shop could have been thinking, we need our female out on the sale floor where they can make us the most money selling to all the new female customers, rather than hidden in the back fixing bikes.
philstar
"misanthropic"
Member for: 11 years 7 months

Postby Scaredy_Cat on Thu 12th Jan 4:37pm

But... if she is the best mechanic, surely she should be out the back fixing bikes? A good salesperson can sell to both women and men - you don't HAVE to be female to treat a person of any gender with respect.
Scaredy_Cat
""RIDER!!!" :-D"
Member for: 11 years 1 month

Cycling - Latest Posts