Re: Wiggle - Import Tax

Postby Conners on Thu 2/Dec/10 12:26pm

keltravers wrote::withstupid:
Wobbler wrote:support your local bike shop!!111111

As much as I love my LBS (and other non-local BSs, and various NZ online purveyors of bicycle equipment), there is a point where the feelgood factor is outweighed by the cost savings.

In this instance purchasing the exact same hubs and rims from Burkes would have have been approximately double the cost of the complete wheelset from offshore. Factor in spokes, nipples and labour and it's well over double.

Yes, I am a bad person. And my wheels don't have a Roadworks sticker on them.
But I also don't trade in shonky light setups either - so I figure my cup is half full.
Conners
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 14 years 5 months

Postby Wobbler on Thu 2/Dec/10 12:35pm

I actually concur with your choice conners, I do find it awesomely funny that a middle man light seller is telling you to buy locally, jeeze, why dont you just sell locally made lights then champ?
Wobbler
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Postby znomit on Thu 2/Dec/10 12:35pm

Conners wrote:
keltravers wrote::withstupid:

As much as I love my LBS (and other non-local BSs, and various NZ online purveyors of bicycle equipment), there is a point where the feelgood factor is outweighed by the cost savings.

In this instance purchasing the exact same hubs and rims from Burkes would have have been approximately double the cost of the complete wheelset from offshore. Factor in spokes, nipples and labour and it's well over double.

Yes, I am a bad person. And my wheels don't have a Roadworks sticker on them.
But I also don't trade in shonky light setups either - so I figure my cup is half full.

Don't come bitching back to us when those cheap wheels burn your house down :p
znomit
Member for: 9 years 6 months

Postby istepinyards on Thu 2/Dec/10 1:02pm

scirocco wrote:
znomit wrote:Customs Minister Maurice Williamson had asked Customs to review the $400 threshold, he said. "Although the Government recognises the concerns of retailers, it is also worth noting that there are competing interests in this area between those that want the threshold lowered and those that want it raised to align with that of Australia, which currently has a threshold of A$1000 (NZ$1270)."

Funnily enough the government in Oz are being petitioned by the retailers to drop the limit at the moment...will be interesting to see how that goes. :)
With the figures of less than 2% of all trades being made online I am sure there is not much that will happen.
Of that 2% of online trade, 18% is made to overseas companies.
I just don't see it as a huge deal really. Its a fact of business now days that people will buy online.

Get over it :rolleyes:
istepinyards
"I'm not arrogant, I am just better than you. That is a scientific fact."
Member for: 10 years 10 months

Postby great uncle bulgaria on Thu 2/Dec/10 9:19pm

istepinyards wrote:
scirocco wrote:
znomit wrote:Customs Minister Maurice Williamson had asked Customs to review the $400 threshold, he said. "Although the Government recognises the concerns of retailers, it is also worth noting that there are competing interests in this area between those that want the threshold lowered and those that want it raised to align with that of Australia, which currently has a threshold of A$1000 (NZ$1270)."

Funnily enough the government in Oz are being petitioned by the retailers to drop the limit at the moment...will be interesting to see how that goes. :)
With the figures of less than 2% of all trades being made online I am sure there is not much that will happen.
Of that 2% of online trade, 18% is made to overseas companies.
I just don't see it as a huge deal really. Its a fact of business now days that people will buy online.

Get over it :rolleyes:

would that be two percent of trades by number or by value.
I would think that to a degree many purchases overseas would be quite high value.

but I agree its part of business nowadays

I'm also lucky that my lbs manages to price pretty well so there is frequently very little advantage in going online
great uncle bulgaria
""misunderstood and persecuted""
Member for: 7 years 1 month

Postby WillieTheWaiter on Fri 3/Dec/10 5:17pm

what if I said wiggle was my "local" bike shop.

it's right at my finger tips - how much closer can it be than that?

I can have something at my desk in the same amount of time it takes me to go to a 'local' bike shop (on a weekend), have them order it in, then go back and pick it up the next weekend.. (and pay double...)

I'm frikkin addicted to their site - it's mint. The feedback on stuff is invaluable, and they've got everything you could possibly dream of.

if my "local" bikeshop here wanted to compete, they should spend some $$$ on a website. I don't need to go in to a store to be told what I want, I know what I want, so will just search the web for the cheapest place to get it. If it wasn't for stores like wiggle I wouldn't be able to have multiple bikes, disc wheels etc etc.. so I don't really give a sh*t about 'buying local' if it means I can have twice as many toys.
WillieTheWaiter
Member for: 10 years 5 months

Postby great uncle bulgaria on Sun 5/Dec/10 11:29pm

WillieTheWaiter wrote:

I can have something at my desk in the same amount of time it takes me to go to a 'local' bike shop (on a weekend), have them order it in, then go back and pick it up the next weekend.. (and pay double...)

I'm frikkin addicted to their site - it's mint. The feedback on stuff is invaluable, and they've got everything you could possibly dream of.

if my "local" bikeshop here wanted to compete, they should spend some $$$ on a website. I don't need to go in to a store to be told what I want, I know what I want, so will just search the web for the cheapest place to get it. If it wasn't for stores like wiggle I wouldn't be able to have multiple bikes, disc wheels etc etc.. so I don't really give a sh*t about 'buying local' if it means I can have twice as many toys.

who will fix them?
great uncle bulgaria

Postby WillieTheWaiter on Mon 6/Dec/10 9:40am

great uncle bulgaria wrote:
WillieTheWaiter wrote:

who will fix them?

me? only thing I've got no idea how to fix and don't want to know is shocks on MTB's... so yeh then I'd take it somewhere.

I also expect that everyone else on here shouting 'support your local shop' obviously buys their groceries at their local diary not the supermarket down the road otherwise they'd be ever so slightly hypercritical?
WillieTheWaiter
Member for: 10 years 5 months

Postby great uncle bulgaria on Mon 6/Dec/10 8:55pm

WillieTheWaiter wrote:
great uncle bulgaria wrote:
WillieTheWaiter wrote:

who will fix them?

me? only thing I've got no idea how to fix and don't want to know is shocks on MTB's... so yeh then I'd take it somewhere.

I also expect that everyone else on here shouting 'support your local shop' obviously buys their groceries at their local diary not the supermarket down the road otherwise they'd be ever so slightly hypercritical?

If everyone buys all their stuff online all the time there will be significant decrease in the number of bike shops around and yes, you probably will be able to take it somewhere, but there will be far fewer places to take bikes.

I think a lot or most of the people criticising the "buy everything as cheap as you can off shore" brigade probably do buy some stuff offshore as well - just not everything.

I personally prefer to spend a little more (often very little more than online) locally and actually have a local bike shop than get everything as cheaply as possible and have no LBS. I'm not sure that if that makes me a hypocrite in your books or not. (and yes I do also shop at the local dairy and the local supermarket :thumbsup:)
great uncle bulgaria

Postby dented on Mon 6/Dec/10 9:10pm

As long as there is a part of society in NZ where people deal in CASH, there will be a retail marketplace. You must know that any plumber, electrician, painter, etc, etc can be haggled on price, especially when you add "I dont need an invoice, and I will pay cash"

And I bet some of those people ride bikes too.
dented
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Postby Conners on Mon 6/Dec/10 9:37pm

great uncle bulgaria wrote:If everyone buys all their stuff online all the time there will be significant decrease in the number of bike shops around and yes, this will probably result in a decrease in the number of muppets wrenching in said bike shops. You probably will be able to take it somewhere, and odds on the remaining shops will have realised that quality service is what brings people back through their doors, and their bunsinesses will thrive as they always have.

Fixxored.
Conners
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 14 years 5 months

Postby JimmyM on Mon 6/Dec/10 9:45pm

Conners wrote:
great uncle bulgaria wrote:If everyone buys all their stuff online all the time there will be significant decrease in the number of bike shops around and yes, this will probably result in a decrease in the number of muppets wrenching in said bike shops. You probably will be able to take it somewhere, and odds on the remaining shops will have realised that quality service is what brings people back through their doors, and their bunsinesses will thrive as they always have.

Fixxored.

:baaa: :butbut: :withstupid: :thumbsup:
JimmyM
Member for: 9 years 7 months

Postby wuffy on Mon 6/Dec/10 9:58pm

What i've found with my various local bike shops, is that if you go there instead of online, after a while you get discounts, deals no one else gets or prioritiy mechanic bookings. Every now and then if i'm working on a bike, and I need a headset out or something that I just don't have the tools to do, I can just pop into my LBS and they'll take it out in a minute free of charge, i'd like to see Wiggle do that :thumbsup:
wuffy
Member for: 8 years 7 months

Postby Wobbler on Mon 6/Dec/10 10:19pm

for the price savings you could have purchased a headset remover tool
Wobbler
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Postby wuffy on Mon 6/Dec/10 10:22pm

Wobbler wrote:for the price savings you could have purchased a headset remover tool

With the price savings you buy new pedals or more tires :sly:
wuffy
Member for: 8 years 7 months

Cycling | Road Cycling - Latest Posts