Re: Wiggle - Import Tax

Postby JAY DUB on Fri 29/Oct/10 8:52pm

1scotty1 wrote:
cruiser wrote:
razza wrote:From my experience importing brand new car parts I found that things coming in via Fedex, UPS, DHL would automatically incur duty/GST.

For anything that I ever had come in via NZPost I never once got caught by Customs.

yep I agree. the DHL's of the world make money from processing the clearance. Possible NZPost culture is one of "can't be bothered with the admin hassle and/ or clutter"

DHL who deliver on contract for many overseas freight contractors are geared more towards commercial importations. They employ in house Customs Agents/Brokers and clear all goods (pay duties and fees). They are required to account for all goods on their manifest as part of their licence with Customs.

NZPost receive "mail". At Auckland Mail Centre, after xray, bags of mail are emptied onto a conveyor belt. Customs has a certain length of time set by some Service Level Agreement to assess all those items on that belt. Obviously first priority is to get the drug dog over these if it is available. second priority is to grab any suspicious parcel that may contain drugs or other illegal import. Duty and GSt comes as a last priority. Clearly the country wont go broke if GST on some wheels isnt collected (It isnt that much after all). All the remainder of the mail goes down the shute. This is why some overseas parcels get delivered and some get caught. It has little to do with being marked as gift or as used. You dont think after a hundred years Customs hasnt heard of these ruses!

So is there anyway of getting NZ post to do it?

I would love to support my LBS but, i have kids to feed and bills to pay. There is no way i can save up the kind of money the LBS will charge before my up coming race. In NZ 1200 will only get me a training/ race wheel which is what i already have. Unless anyone has any better ideas? Feel free to offer or private message me. Would love to spend my money in NZ!
JAY DUB
Member for: 7 years 3 months

Postby Paul_Bags on Fri 29/Oct/10 11:15pm

JAY DUB wrote:So is there anyway of getting NZ post to do it?

From what I can tell from the mail stickers on the crap Ive bought from wiggle once the package reaches NZ it's handled by NZpost. But we're talking odds and ends to the value of just over the free delivery cap.
The invoice is visible and has a clear description of contents and value.

Like the other guys have said, your not likely to get cheaper shipping and/or no tax. Anything you do to try and get around the system will probably throw up red flags, I say it's better to just go with it and hope.

EDIT: Just FYI: wiggle also charges a nominal fee for fast/priority processing of your order (~$8). It can take an extra week or more for them to ship it if you don't pay it, also anyone who does pay it get first pick of the inventory (say if they've only got a couple left), so it's definitely worth it.
Last edited by Paul_Bags on Fri 29/Oct/10 11:20pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul_Bags
Member for: 8 years 8 months

Postby BrokenKonaRider on Fri 29/Oct/10 11:20pm

Every time I've gone over $400, I've been pinged.

A good trick is to not rely on the conversions of the shops. Use the current/future exchange rates for certainty on the value of the package once it reaches NZ and is converted into $NZ

http://www.customs.govt.nz/importers/Co ... urrent.htm
BrokenKonaRider
"Pants"
Member for: 12 years 4 months

Postby Paul_Bags on Fri 29/Oct/10 11:28pm

BrokenKonaRider wrote:Every time I've gone over $400, I've been pinged.

A good trick is to not rely on the conversions of the shops. Use the current/future exchange rates for certainty on the value of the package once it reaches NZ and is converted into $NZ

http://www.customs.govt.nz/importers/Co ... urrent.htm

Interesting, all my invoices have been in $NZD. I'll add an example.
wiggle invoice.jpg
Example of wiggle invoice
Paul_Bags
Member for: 8 years 8 months

Postby Kiwicyclo on Sun 31/Oct/10 3:51pm

Once upon a time you could get goods up to about $1000 in to NZ tax and charges free, was a bit hit and miss but usually got a couple in without paying charges then would get hit with one.

But I was advised that this all changed on the 1st April this year and the grubberment is now collecting everything with a value of $400 or more.

Clothes are as low as $365 as there is an immediate 10% duty applied on the invoice value then a handling charge, MAF charge then GST.

I used to use CRC and make sure the orders were just enough to get freight free, now I use Wiggle as the freight free is only like $106 at the moment.

LBS's think they have a monopoly on the market (or the wholesaler's do) Giro Pro lite helmet here in NZ, quoted $496, crc and wiggle were $280 - $330. CRC at the moment with ther extra 10% loyalty discount on all orders to 15th November can ship a set of Shimano Dura Ace Carbon Laminate Clinchers 24 mm for $864 + GST + charges in NZ. This is for a set, including wheel bags, skewers etc. $1045 landed at your door here NZ. Is there a bike shop that would come anywhere near that price?

Assos chronosuit C5 2011 model, actually try and find one here in NZ, let alone for $347 that I paid ex CRC.

Bit of a rant . . . but CRC and Wiggle get a lot of my spend.
Kiwicyclo
"Arguing on the internet is like the special olympics, even if you win you are still retarded."

Postby 1scotty1 on Sun 31/Oct/10 4:41pm

Kiwicyclo wrote:Once upon a time you could get goods up to about $1000 in to NZ tax and charges free, was a bit hit and miss but usually got a couple in without paying charges then would get hit with one.
But I was advised that this all changed on the 1st April this year and the grubberment is now collecting everything with a value of $400 or more.

I think you are confused between the value for when duty and GSt becomes collectible ($400) and the value for when an Import Entry is required ($1000). Both very different.

Nothing changed on 1 April. The $50 minimum collectable ($400 value) has been around for over 20 years. Did the person who advised you this mention it was April Fools day?
1scotty1
Member for: 13 years 6 months

Postby Spokes on Sun 31/Oct/10 5:46pm

Kiwicyclo wrote:
LBS's think they have a monopoly on the market (or the wholesaler's do)

Arguing on the internet is like the special olympics, even if you win you are still retarded.
Spokes
""Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."--W.C. Fields"
Member for: 12 years 1 month

Postby Kiwicyclo on Sun 31/Oct/10 5:54pm

1scotty1 wrote:
Kiwicyclo wrote:Once upon a time you could get goods up to about $1000 in to NZ tax and charges free, was a bit hit and miss but usually got a couple in without paying charges then would get hit with one.

I think you are confused between the value for when duty and GSt becomes collectible ($400) and the value for when an Import Entry is required ($1000). Both very different.

Nothing changed on 1 April. The $50 minimum collectable ($400 value) has been around for over 20 years. Did the person who advised you this mention it was April Fools day?

I think what changed was that they started collecting on everything with a value of $400 bucks, yup agree it has always been there as the the value, I think just enforcing it fully now. Still I have come out ahead over the years of bringing stuff in. So no complaints.

Just what I have experienced . . . .

Not sure where the argument is though? guess you can no longer respond to a post eh!
Kiwicyclo
"Arguing on the internet is like the special olympics, even if you win you are still retarded."

Postby Whoops on Sun 31/Oct/10 8:24pm

My wife just got pinged on clothes from the UK, value ~ NZD270, so the $400 limit seems to be no longer there...

Fair enough to pay GST I suppose, but the MAF inspection charge was a bit rich. Revenue gathering bastards.
Whoops
"Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious"
Member for: 11 years 6 months

Postby Kiwicyclo on Sun 31/Oct/10 9:04pm

Whoops wrote:My wife just got pinged on clothes from the UK, value ~ NZD270, so the $400 limit seems to be no longer there...

Fair enough to pay GST I suppose, but the MAF inspection charge was a bit rich. Revenue gathering bastards.

Ouch! was that $270 plus shipping or including shipping?

My understanding is that it is less than $400 for clothes as there is a standard 10% duty which gets applied on the purchase price.

So > Goods $ value + Shipping $ value + 10% duty have to total less than $400?

All blardy confusing . . . . :crazy:

"If the total owing is less than NZ$50 ($60 on or after 1 October 2010) for all imported goods no revenue collection will be made."

Probably got pinged because of the charges being $65.00 and change!
Kiwicyclo

Postby znomit on Sun 31/Oct/10 9:37pm

http://www.consumer.org.nz/news/view/ne ... action-fee

So if the fee is under 50$ they don't bother collecting.
Except customs say its 60$ (maybe its changed?)
http://www.customs.govt.nz/importers/Pr ... es.htm#top

For clothing you get pinged for the 10% duty before GST.
znomit
Member for: 9 years 6 months

Postby phunk on Sun 31/Oct/10 9:42pm

Went up due to new GST rate.
phunk
Member for: 13 years 9 months

Postby 1scotty1 on Mon 1/Nov/10 7:59am

The $400 threshold for duty free goods stayed the same (well, its about $396 now).
1scotty1
Member for: 13 years 6 months

Postby Specialized6000 on Mon 22/Nov/10 9:38pm

http://www.stuff.co.nz/technology/43703 ... ne-imports

pretty much what we are all talking about here!
Specialized6000
"Who Dares Wins"
Member for: 8 years 2 months

Postby znomit on Mon 22/Nov/10 9:51pm

Specialized6000 wrote:http://www.stuff.co.nz/technology/4370332/GST-review-threatens-tax-free-online-imports

pretty much what we are all talking about here!

Customs Minister Maurice Williamson had asked Customs to review the $400 threshold, he said. "Although the Government recognises the concerns of retailers, it is also worth noting that there are competing interests in this area between those that want the threshold lowered and those that want it raised to align with that of Australia, which currently has a threshold of A$1000 (NZ$1270)."
:o
znomit
Member for: 9 years 6 months

Cycling | Road Cycling - Latest Posts