Re: Wiggle - Import Tax

Postby sifter on Thu 28/Oct/10 9:18pm

Factor the GST in and buy them if the price is still suitable. If you don't get charged, then all the better, but don't buy expecting you won't get charged.

BTW, wiggle has free freight on items over 50 pounds, so you won't pay any extra with them by getting each wheel sent separately. You probably increase your chances of NOT paying GST on both wheels.
sifter
Member for: 13 years 11 months

Postby j2hyde on Thu 28/Oct/10 9:33pm

That could be a double edged sword. If they do bill you for GST on both they will also hit you with 2 separate biosecurity and handling charges*. Thats an extra $50 per package.

*Those charges are a bunch of bullshit too, both new this year. Its just more tax, that the gubbiment is trying to hide under a different name. Dirty fuckers.
j2hyde
"I'm not for that. I'm for the ladies."
Member for: 12 years 1 month

Postby kiwi_zg on Thu 28/Oct/10 9:37pm

noel_whiteside wrote:
cruiser wrote: Wiggle aren't going to be in the business of fiddling that.

I've ordered a few small things with a value of up to $200 and not had to pay anything.
I've only had one big item which I did have to pay for. A mountain bike which cost $1500 from wiggle. All the extras came to about $200. On the Wiggle invoice it said that the item purchased was bicycle tools. The box did contain a multitool for putting the bike together. I was wandering if the reason they put bicycle tools on the invoice is that it tools may have less tax/fees to pay than bikes do. Never looked into it any further to see if that was actually the case.

GST payable on a $1500 bike is 12.5% (assuming transaction was before the increase) = $187.5, generally sports equipment only incur GST only, not duty.
If Wiggle charge no shipping that's a bonus too cause the Government also charge GST on the freight you paid too.
Why do they charge GST on freight/shipping? the bastards!
kiwi_zg
Member for: 8 years 9 months

Postby j2hyde on Thu 28/Oct/10 9:40pm

Yep its official. the gubbiment are thieving cunzors. Its no wonder retail shit is so overpriced and half the country is on welfare

:hmmm:
j2hyde
"I'm not for that. I'm for the ladies."
Member for: 12 years 1 month

Postby Astoria Paranoia on Thu 28/Oct/10 9:45pm

SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL BIKE STORE!
Astoria Paranoia
Member for: 15 years 2 months

Postby pb on Thu 28/Oct/10 9:49pm

These days the UK is local.
pb
"Mmmm, Beer."
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Postby Al_Bushman on Thu 28/Oct/10 9:52pm

Astoria Paranoia wrote:SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL BIKE STORE!

The product I purchased (wheels) was $800 cheaper (incl GST) via probikekit than at my (or any) LBS. I don't love them that much.
Al_Bushman
Member for: 11 years 4 months

Postby stiffeeslicker on Thu 28/Oct/10 10:02pm

Most things I'm happy to go to LBS for but some brands (Hope especially) are ridiculously overpriced here (eg. $35 wiggle v $80 here for a pro II rear hub conversion). Like someone has already said, buy smaller values of stuff from wiggle (but over $110) and you pay no shipping and won't incur GST.

I'm just waiting on an order from CRC which is roughly $380 so I'm holding my breath as to whether screwing will occur...
stiffeeslicker
"Intentional, apparently."
Member for: 8 years 3 months

Postby slidecontrol on Thu 28/Oct/10 10:05pm

kiwi_zg wrote:Why do they charge GST on freight/shipping? the bastards!

same reason you pay gst on the other taxes in the cost of petrol.

cos the sheeple let them get away w :hmmm: ith it
slidecontrol
"YOLO = carpe diem for idiots"
Member for: 10 years 6 months

Postby znomit on Thu 28/Oct/10 10:30pm

slidecontrol wrote:

same reason you pay gst on the other taxes in the cost of petrol.

cos the sheeple let them get away w :hmmm: ith it

And because otherwise your wheels would be 5$ and the shipping/handling 1195$
znomit
Member for: 9 years 4 months

Postby lloydy on Thu 28/Oct/10 10:54pm

cruiser wrote:Generally for overseas shipping an invoice copy is attached as a packing slip on outside of box. It details nature of goods and value. Wiggle aren't going to be in the business of fiddling that.

But....if you have fambly or friends in UK, there is a better chance that if they send it with the nature of the goods put as 'gift'.

This has worked for me, but you do need to factor GST in case of a deeper look by customs.

And, sometimes they just slip through unnoticed. I bought in a $900 box from overseas and it turned up no comments.

Yeah, might save some import taxes but this way you'd be paying the UK VAT which at 20% is more than NZ GST, and then extra freight on top too.
lloydy
Member for: 9 years 5 months

Postby noel_whiteside on Fri 29/Oct/10 7:28am

Astoria Paranoia wrote:SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL BIKE STORE!

The bike I got from overseas was less than half the price from my local bike store. I could afford for it all to go horribly wong, the bike fall to pieces, I buy another one to replace it and still have change in my pocket. That's over $2000 savings, what extra is a lbs going to offer for that sort of money.
noel_whiteside
Member for: 10 years 2 months

Postby Conners on Fri 29/Oct/10 7:54am

slidecontrol wrote:

Its a service innit? That's what the S in GST stands for as far as I'm aware.
Conners
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 14 years 3 months

Postby phunk on Fri 29/Oct/10 7:56am

Conners wrote:
slidecontrol wrote:

Its a service innit? That's what the S in GST stands for as far as I'm aware.

Indeed.
phunk
Member for: 13 years 7 months

Postby 1scotty1 on Fri 29/Oct/10 8:26am

cruiser wrote:
razza wrote:From my experience importing brand new car parts I found that things coming in via Fedex, UPS, DHL would automatically incur duty/GST.

For anything that I ever had come in via NZPost I never once got caught by Customs.

yep I agree. the DHL's of the world make money from processing the clearance. Possible NZPost culture is one of "can't be bothered with the admin hassle and/ or clutter"

DHL who deliver on contract for many overseas freight contractors are geared more towards commercial importations. They employ in house Customs Agents/Brokers and clear all goods (pay duties and fees). They are required to account for all goods on their manifest as part of their licence with Customs.

NZPost receive "mail". At Auckland Mail Centre, after xray, bags of mail are emptied onto a conveyor belt. Customs has a certain length of time set by some Service Level Agreement to assess all those items on that belt. Obviously first priority is to get the drug dog over these if it is available. second priority is to grab any suspicious parcel that may contain drugs or other illegal import. Duty and GSt comes as a last priority. Clearly the country wont go broke if GST on some wheels isnt collected (It isnt that much after all). All the remainder of the mail goes down the shute. This is why some overseas parcels get delivered and some get caught. It has little to do with being marked as gift or as used. You dont think after a hundred years Customs hasnt heard of these ruses!
1scotty1
Member for: 13 years 4 months

Cycling | Road Cycling - Latest Posts