Re: What Did You Buy From Wiggle This Week?

Postby dwgknz on Wed 26/Oct/16 11:05am

I just do multiple split purchases.

If something is over $400 I'll look local.

I've only once bought something over $400 which was a frame at $450 and that skipped through without being held.
dwgknz
Member for: 4 years 7 months

Postby michael on Wed 26/Oct/16 5:20pm

mudguard wrote:So my $486 purchase requires an additional $172. Which is made up of:
Custom Import Transaction Fee $42.81
Custom Clearance $40
GST on above services $12.42
GST on pedals and torque wrench $77.10

I think next time I'll do the clearance myself, means printing the invoice, and physically taking it to a Customs office. Just to see how painful it is or isn't. I also have to pay the invoice by bank transfer which is extra annoying.

I think the shipping company is charging you $40, for the pleasure of helping Customs charge you $40 for the pleasure of collecting $77 gst.

I have had success haggling with a courier company before over this, its pretty on the nose considering what is actually involved.
michael
Member for: 15 years 5 months

Postby mudguard on Wed 26/Oct/16 7:58pm

michael wrote:
I think the shipping company is charging you $40, for the pleasure of helping Customs charge you $40 for the pleasure of collecting $77 gst.

I have had success haggling with a courier company before over this, its pretty on the nose considering what is actually involved.

Especially as I'll likely have to pick it up anyway once I inevitably I get the "card to call"
mudguard
Member for: 14 years 3 months

Postby Tugboat on Wed 26/Oct/16 8:44pm

dwgknz wrote:I just do multiple split purchases.

I've only once bought something over $400 which was a frame at $450 and that skipped through without being held.

Gotta be careful with the multiple split purchases approach and space them at least a day or two apart. I got caught out with two orders from Rapha each just below the de minimus threshold on the same day being picked up by DHL who stung me GST, duty and all the other fees. Customs requires couriers to consolidate the value when they get multiple packages addressed to the same person from the same source at the same time.
Tugboat
"Bringing back the biff"
Member for: 11 years 6 months

Postby dwgknz on Wed 26/Oct/16 9:09pm

Tugboat wrote:

Gotta be careful with the multiple split purchases approach and space them at least a day or two apart. I got caught out with two orders from Rapha each just below the de minimus threshold on the same day being picked up by DHL who stung me GST, duty and all the other fees. Customs requires couriers to consolidate the value when they get multiple packages addressed to the same person from the same source at the same time.

Luckily never been stung like that!
dwgknz

Postby mudguard on Thu 27/Oct/16 7:30am

Yeah I don't really have any issue with the GST. It's more the delay in the whole process, I'd like an email with the total, and an option to pay via credit card. However the long weekend didn't help.
It's been awhile since I've bought anything of that amount. There's no reason why I couldn't stagger it over a couple of weeks.
mudguard

Postby oldandlazy on Thu 27/Oct/16 4:22pm

Tugboat wrote:

DHL have form for this - they have also been known to take a package with a declared value and free shipping to NZ Customs and claim they would have charged eg. $70 to ship it, and therefore it should be over the threshold. All so they can charge the handling fee. I am not a fan of DHL.
oldandlazy
User avatarMedal
Member for: 9 years 5 months

Postby dwgknz on Fri 28/Oct/16 10:26pm

After a couple of failed attempts to buy stuff from online retailers in NZ its great that when buying stuff from 2 vorbers both times it's been simple, accurate and quick!
dwgknz

Postby slidecontrol on Fri 28/Oct/16 10:39pm

Gotta love that German efficiency
slidecontrol
"YOLO = carpe diem for idiots"
Member for: 10 years 6 months

Postby dwgknz on Thu 1/Dec/16 12:26pm

Anyone used Bike24 before?

How do they ship by DHL, surface post? Got a new saddle being sent over but last update was it leaving Frankfurt on Thursday and nothing since.
dwgknz

Postby theFan on Thu 1/Dec/16 12:52pm

dwgknz wrote:Anyone used Bike24 before?

How do they ship by DHL, surface post? Got a new saddle being sent over but last update was it leaving Frankfurt on Thursday and nothing since.

I've used them a couple of times. Don't remember what company they use but it took between 2 and 3 weeks and the tracking was crap - massive gap between being picked up and arriving in nz.

Chainreactioncycles is usually 1-2 weeks for me. I'm in chch.
theFan
Member for: 1 year 7 months

Postby oldandlazy on Thu 1/Dec/16 4:25pm

theFan wrote:
dwgknz wrote:Anyone used Bike24 before?

I've used them a couple of times. Don't remember what company they use but it took between 2 and 3 weeks and the tracking was crap - massive gap between being picked up and arriving in nz.

Chainreactioncycles is usually 1-2 weeks for me. I'm in chch.

Same experience - gets to Frankfurt quick then nothing for 10 days to two weeks, the courier at the door. Bike-discount has been similar for me as well recently - again DHL.
oldandlazy
User avatarMedal
Member for: 9 years 5 months

Postby dwgknz on Thu 1/Dec/16 7:04pm

Just started getting emails, has landed Auckland and left the airport today.
dwgknz

Postby swtchbckr on Thu 1/Dec/16 9:01pm

Bike24 are super awesome for their selection of tires. Only place I've found my beautiful white walled brown Schwalbe Fat Franks for like $35 each landed, incl freight!

But, no matter what you get, it's always 19EURO for freight... and yes, it comes DHL (i think) and takes a while...
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 12 years 7 months

Postby Conners on Tue 6/Dec/16 12:41pm

New dropper sitting on my desk :thumbsup:
https://www.torpedo7.co.nz/products/APP ... 0_fd06fa07

What a world we live in where I can order something one day, not pay for shipping, and have it on my desk the next day.
Pity I'm in the wrong island to fit to my bike and go for a ride :(
Conners
"Seeing Double"

Cycling | Road Cycling - Latest Posts