What did Key say to Banks?

Something politically embarrassing about the terms of a deal between ACT and National.
15%
Details of a previous steamy love affair between the two.
12%
How both think that Brash is a wanker.
33%
About how Banks and Key are members of a race of lizard men determined to take over the world.
33%
Other.
6%

Total voters : 33

Re: What Did Key Say To Banks?

Postby Astoria Paranoia on Wed 16/Nov/11 10:33pm

Mickyfinn wrote: I am a moron

oldnews
Astoria Paranoia
Member for: 15 years 2 months

Postby happybaboon on Wed 16/Nov/11 10:38pm

I love how badly this is playing into Winnie's hands. I'm picking a triumphant return to Parliament for that old cocksucker (who, on about 85% of issues, I agree with. Pity the remaining 15% is lunacy and xenophobia. But ehh)

Now Banks and Norman might have good suits (Norman in particular always looks spot-on - earthy tones, but modern cuts) but Winnie... Phowoaaar that man's got some pimping threads.
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Postby SamKnight on Wed 16/Nov/11 11:54pm

Nick_K wrote:
ThingOne wrote:
Joel wrote:There is a principle at stake, about how the media can behave. so i do understand why they are refusing to disclose the tape.

Thats true, if they allow this, then its game on for hidden microphones.

No its not. This was a recording of a very public event not covert spying news of the world style. Its in the public interest to know what was said and Key is merely digging himself into more of a hole hiding behind the police investigation. He's clearly lying when he states he can't recall what he said and will end up coming to more grief over this than what was actually said.

If the media had any balls they should print the transcript (maybe after a few days speculation and gossipmongering)

I wouldn't say its legit just because of public interest, otherwise that excuse could be used in any number of situations, ie tapping your phone because its of public interest to hear what you were saying on that $5.99/min chat line.

However, they did have a meeting in a public environment and as far as i'm concerned a public cafe is game on for audio recording/pictures etc, hell any one of the patrons in the cafe could have got their phone out and recorded it.
SamKnight
"Meh"
Member for: 11 years 11 months

Postby happybaboon on Thu 17/Nov/11 12:06am

SamKnight wrote:However, they did have a meeting in a public environment and as far as i'm concerned a public cafe is game on for audio recording/pictures etc, hell any one of the patrons in the cafe could have got their phone out and recorded it.

Aside from how Key's DPS squad no doubt kicked them all out into the street.

I sort of understand why they think what they said should be private. But fucks sake maings, 1) cafe in the middle of the day 2) YOU INVITED THE FUCKING MEDIA TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST MOMENTS OF THE ELECTORAL CAMPAIGN 3) It's 2011, if you want to have a "private" conversation with someone call them on the fucking phone at a time when you aren't out in public attending a gigantic media stunt. If you aren't able to follow that, and you insist on saying anything remotely naughty at such an event and you're deluded enough to expect people to respect your privacy at such a moment then I'm sorry but you fucking well deserve to get fucked in the ass by Winston Peters. Which, it seems, is exactly what is happening :lol:
happybaboon

Postby happybaboon on Thu 17/Nov/11 12:25am

Here's another video of John Key angrily storming out of a press conference after those mean journalists refused to ask him the questions he wanted to answer.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-Q_0x_4o4k&t=0m20s
happybaboon

Postby Simonius_Titius on Thu 17/Nov/11 12:30am

E Dogg Capizzle wrote: ... Micky's inability to spell and use correct punctuation, and the reasonable inference from this that he is in fact a moron.

Come on that's not fair, difficulties with spelling can be quite specific and do not necessarily indicate a wider disability. Thankfully Mickey does not use autocorrect so we can nearly always work out the intended meaning.

Failure to use basic punctuation rules has other possible causes - impatience, disrespect for language, fashionability. Only the last two are hanging offences.

Vorb would not be much fun if it only contained carefully constructed, well researched and presented posts. We need unconsidered emissions too - if not a stream of consciousness then spurts of semi-consciousness. :p
Simonius_Titius
"The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off. - Gloria Steinem"
Member for: 7 years 11 months

Postby great uncle bulgaria on Thu 17/Nov/11 12:46am

Simonius_Titius wrote:
E Dogg Capizzle wrote: ... Micky's inability to spell and use correct punctuation, and the reasonable inference from this that he is in fact a moron.

Come on that's not fair, difficulties with spelling can be quite specific and do not necessarily indicate a wider disability. Thankfully Mickey does not use autocorrect so we can nearly always work out the intended meaning.

Failure to use basic punctuation rules has other possible causes - impatience, disrespect for language, fashionability. Only the last two are hanging offences.

Vorb would not be much fun if it only contained carefully constructed, well researched and presented posts. We need unconsidered emissions too - if not a stream of consciousness then spurts of semi-consciousness. :p

you definitely need to get out more :blink:
great uncle bulgaria
""misunderstood and persecuted""
Member for: 6 years 11 months

Postby Fraser on Thu 17/Nov/11 12:59am

So WTF are TV3 doing with the tape?
Fraser
Member for: 15 years 9 months

Postby Simonius_Titius on Thu 17/Nov/11 3:06am

great uncle bulgaria wrote:
Simonius_Titius wrote:
...Vorb would not be much fun if it only contained carefully constructed, well researched and presented posts. We need unconsidered emissions too - if not a stream of consciousness then spurts of semi-consciousness. :p

That wasn't just gratuitous , here's where it came from:

Michael Finnegan has been perhaps unfairly accused of being a moron, I suspect because it is his nature to write faster than he thinks.

My core idea was the premature release of half-baked ideas, ie. ones which have not been thought through carefully.
I was also thinking of the verbal ejaculations of Tourette's syndrome folk and the religious ejaculations that enliven evangelical rallies.

I wanted to write "unconsidered transmissions", comparing Vorb to a shared radio-telephone network. But sadly you can't transmit half-baked goods by radio, so I came up with "stream of consciousness vs (smaller units) of semi-consciousness" and could only think of breaking up a liquid stream into "spurts". But you don't transmit spurts, and at the time I didn't see "bursts":
We need unconsidered transmissions too - if not a stream of consciousness then bursts of semi-consciousness.

So I switched the metaphor from radio transmission to premature ejaculation, demurely rendered as "unconsidered emissions".

It would be horrible to be a poet, they have to do this stuff really well all day long.
Simonius_Titius
"The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off. - Gloria Steinem"

Postby Simonius_Titius on Thu 17/Nov/11 3:24am

Fraser wrote:So WTF are TV3 doing with the tape?

Sell it on TradeMe?

Maybe they hope to get permission from the tapees to broadcast some innocuous portion of it, with great fanfare and special advertising rates.
I don't know if this is legal but they can play it to various guests off-camera then get them to discuss it on-camera.
Simonius_Titius

Postby Fraser on Thu 17/Nov/11 4:27am

Simonius_Titius wrote:
great uncle bulgaria wrote:
Simonius_Titius wrote:
...Vorb would not be much fun if it only contained carefully constructed, well researched and presented posts. We need unconsidered emissions too - if not a stream of consciousness then spurts of semi-consciousness. :p

...It would be horrible to be a poet, they have to do this stuff really well all day long.

Thank feck you don't have a twitter account
Fraser
Member for: 15 years 9 months

Postby wachtourak on Thu 17/Nov/11 6:58am

happybaboon wrote:I love how badly this is playing into Winnie's hands. I'm picking a triumphant return to Parliament for that old cocksucker (who, on about 85% of issues, I agree with. Pity the remaining 15% is lunacy and xenophobia. But ehh)

Now Banks and Norman might have good suits (Norman in particular always looks spot-on - earthy tones, but modern cuts) but Winnie... Phowoaaar that man's got some pimping threads.

I really hope he gets back in, he's good to have in there his absurd trolling if anything
wachtourak
"IMDABES"
Member for: 14 years 10 months

Postby Caffeine on Thu 17/Nov/11 8:56am

SamKnight wrote: I wouldn't say its legit just because of public interest, otherwise that excuse could be used in any number of situations, ie tapping your phone because its of public interest to hear what you were saying on that $5.99/min chat line.

Of interest to the public is totally different to 'the public interest'. The public might be curious to listen to someone on a chat line, but curiosty has nothing to do with the public interest. Here it is two polis talking about something of potential impact on the elected govt, and the public has a right to know about that (like whether Brash will get voted in but soon after be booted by his own party, which would undermine what the public voted for).

But you can't just tape someone else's conversation if you feel like it either, or you might commit a crime by intercepting a private communication.

Either way, Key is obviously lying about 'not remembering' what he said. There is no way he would kick up such a stink unless he thought he said something iffy as it's making him look like a total twonk. Comparing this to someone committing suicide after the media report thier family talking about it is insulting
Caffeine
Member for: 8 years 1 month

National Politics | Politics | Sifting - Latest Posts