Postby biker-x on Tue 19/Oct/04 1:23pm

mmmmmm, thought so.
biker-x
Member for: 14 years 1 month

Postby Clarky on Tue 19/Oct/04 1:57pm

Vorbii are now too cool to bitch about roadies, unless they have anger management problems while driving.
Clarky
Member for: 15 years 2 months

Postby VERT on Tue 19/Oct/04 2:45pm

Clarkster wrote:Vorbii are now too cool to bitch about roadies, unless they have anger management problems while driving.

either that or they *cough* ride road bikes themselves *cough* :paranoid:
VERT
Member for: 15 years 0 months

Postby Brute on Tue 19/Oct/04 2:47pm

VERT wrote:either that or they *cough* ride road bikes themselves *cough* :paranoid:

You will take that back sir, or I will demand satisfaction.
Brute

Postby dragon_style on Tue 19/Oct/04 3:12pm

Roadie Baitin for fit beginners

1) dress correctly - baggy shorts and a t-shirt are good, better if they are ripped off jeans, best if they are actally full length jeans. The t-shirt should advertise some form of beer. Shoe choice is also important, if using clipless they need to hide that fact, flat pedals and shoes from the Warehouse are best.

2) equip yourself - an old beater bike is good, a jump hardtail is good, an old uncared for road bike is good, esp if you turn the handlebars upwards so you can hold the underside of the drops. The bike must clearly say ' I am not trying to get anywhere fast'

3) proceed to where roadies infest, find a roadie, overtake them, ideally being able to say a cheerful hi with no evident effort as you go past. If they don't just die of a combination of shame and indignation instantly they will overtake you and power off on a heady mix of pride and fear (and to be fair sometimes fitness and power) leaving you feeling good in that way you do when you tease a kitten. Sometimes you can make this game last for a long time if you then overtake them again - this is especially fun if you are faster than they are (this is where jeans are good at disguising leg tone).

I have actually stopped this game out of pity for some guys wife/partner who was slower than me, and who he kept making overtake and getting really mad at her when I kept re-overtaking.
dragon_style
Member for: 14 years 10 months

Postby honeymonster on Tue 19/Oct/04 4:06pm

I find cruising past them on a fixed wheel bike does the trick. Roadies can't understand why you'd want one gear - even though they only ever use 2 or 3 anyway.

But why bother? Leave them be. After all, they are all on bikes which is always better than not being on a bike. :)
honeymonster
Member for: 13 years 7 months

Postby Brute on Tue 19/Oct/04 5:19pm

honeymonster wrote:But why bother? Leave them be. After all, they are all on bikes which is always better than not being on a bike. :)

Very true also the one's I know are a hell of a lot fitter than I am or ever will be.
Brute

Postby pushbikerider on Sun 24/Oct/04 6:05pm

VERT wrote:
Clarkster wrote:Vorbii are now too cool to bitch about roadies, unless they have anger management problems while driving.

either that or they *cough* ride road bikes themselves *cough* :paranoid:

I ride one too, it doesn't mean that i like many of the roadies that i meet, don't get me wrong, some roadies are cool, and nice people to boot, SOME AREN'T
pushbikerider
"Gone Riding.........."
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Postby biker-x on Sun 24/Oct/04 6:11pm

I second that, When i did road biking i found a load of the people to be nice as (including the chicks ;) ) but some of them especially some of the top riders i found were arrogant and just plain rude.
Last edited by biker-x on Sun 24/Oct/04 6:18pm, edited 1 time in total.
biker-x

Postby pushbikerider on Sun 24/Oct/04 6:14pm

biker-x wrote:I second that, When i did road biking i found a load of the people to be nice as (including the chicks) but some of them especially some of the top riders i found were arrogant and just plain rude.

Its not just the top riders often its those who THINK they are something, especially workin in cycle retail you can cop some crap from the roadie idiots
pushbikerider
"Gone Riding.........."
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Postby biker-x on Sun 24/Oct/04 6:20pm

pushbikerider wrote:
biker-x wrote:I second that, When i did road biking i found a load of the people to be nice as (including the chicks) but some of them especially some of the top riders i found were arrogant and just plain rude.

Its not just the top riders often its those who THINK they are something, especially workin in cycle retail you can cop some crap from the roadie idiots

Yeah, true, well i'm glad I changed codes. I found the MTB scene more friendly, even though there are still wankers in this sport too.
biker-x

Postby thekiwi on Mon 27/Mar/06 1:38pm

dragon_style wrote: Roadie Baitin for fit beginners

3) proceed to where roadies infest, find a roadie, overtake them, ideally being able to say a cheerful hi with no evident effort as you go past. If they don't just die of a combination of shame and indignation instantly they will overtake you and power off on a heady mix of pride and fear (and to be fair sometimes fitness and power) leaving you feeling good in that way you do when you tease a kitten. Sometimes you can make this game last for a long time if you then overtake them again - this is especially fun if you are faster than they are (this is where jeans are good at disguising leg tone).

This is a write up from the local newspapper after my first road race end of last year:

Sent: Friday, October 21, 2005 11:34 AM
Subject: race report 18-10-05 Easyrider

Simon Mills was an absolute hero in the latest round of the Maintrax Cycles Twilight Series.
The man will live on as a legend for years to come after saving all the club's roadies from the hideous embarrasment of being beaten by a mountain biker in the A grade race around Lavenham Rd on Tuesday evening.
Mills was part of the 5 minute bunch that ripped the race apart.
They comfortably reeled in the two groups that started in front of them on the course and then headed for home at the front of a 25 strong bunch.
There was no sign of the Scratch or Break bunches closing them down in the last few kms so all eyes were on the road ahead and the chance of a win in a big bunch finale.
There were the usual jitters and curses as 25 riders all wanted to be first around the the final corner but they all made it safely without too much aggro and then it was full on for the finish line 400 metres away.
It was looking very very sad 100 metres from the line as Craig Hoskin was out in front, knobbly tires and all, and still going strong.
Mills is quite a canny rider and luckily had judged his finish to perfection, he shot out of the pack with 50 metres to go and surged ahead to take the win by a bike length from the knobbly chap.

Was fun times looking back .... suffice to say, I now ride a Road Bike for those races, the 26" wheels on some of hills just couldnt get to 80km/hr
thekiwi
"A bad day of riding beats a good day at the office"
Member for: 12 years 11 months

Postby banga on Mon 27/Mar/06 1:47pm

banga
Member for: 14 years 7 months

Postby Tama on Mon 27/Mar/06 2:04pm

Unfortunately the original poll that was attached to this post (the first post of the Vorb Forums) never made it through the change of software many years ago.

I gave lots of options for unfortunate, humiliating, and sometimes painful things that could be done to roadies. :thumbsup:
Tama
"Come on Ruthie let's dance"
Member for: 15 years 11 months

Postby BricKNewton on Mon 27/Mar/06 2:29pm

I love slip streaming roadies to sumner-they sped up to give me the slip-I just sped up a bit to keep up and smile and look as casual as I can
then when i cant keep up i slip up a side street and jump into a car park earlier zip past and wait on the corner in sumner taking a sip from my bottle
BricKNewton
Member for: 11 years 11 months

Sifting - Latest Posts