Re: What Balance Bike To Gift?

Postby Scotty on Mon 18/Apr/16 6:34am

We like the idea of wooden runner bikes, but found the reality of them to be a pain in the arse. They just didn't have the adjustability and robustness of the metal offerings.

I rate the Speshy ones, and I'm firmly in the #fuckspecialized camp. We ended up going for a Radius Neo from Bikebarn... which they don't do any more - a wee bit heavy but it's been way better than the wooden options we tried. From what I've seen of the T7 kids bikes, the weight of them is really good and they seem to be put together well. :)

If we were to do it all again, we'd probably end up with a Strider, I've seen them last a long time under a lot of different kids.
Scotty
Member for: 15 years 9 months

Postby lubie on Mon 18/Apr/16 10:13am

I agree with Dragon-Style. Wishbone all the way.

We got a wishbone trike about 7 years ago and it's been amazing for both our kids. Low trike (works great from about 18mths or so) to high trike, then converts to a low balance bike, then a high balance bike.
I have always found their service and support prompt and friendly and would always recommend them first.
lubie
Member for: 14 years 11 months

Postby gristle on Mon 18/Apr/16 10:21am

Weather and wishbones (and probably other wooden bikes) do not mix well. Ok if you always put them away.
One flaw with the wishbone in trike mode is kids that trail their legs after a push can run over their heels with the axle.
gristle
Member for: 11 years 1 month

Postby Astoria Paranoia on Mon 18/Apr/16 10:42am

I'm not going to give them a trike option.
She already has one at her childcare.
Astoria Paranoia
Member for: 15 years 4 months

Postby lubie on Mon 18/Apr/16 11:13am

gristle wrote:Weather and wishbones (and probably other wooden bikes) do not mix well. Ok if you always put them away.
One flaw with the wishbone in trike mode is kids that trail their legs after a push can run over their heels with the axle.

All these things are true...
lubie
Member for: 14 years 11 months

Postby philstar on Mon 18/Apr/16 12:27pm

some friends of mine have had to put a brake on there kids balance bike, worth thinking about depending on how much of a daredevil your niece is.
philstar
"misanthropic"
Member for: 11 years 9 months

Postby Conners on Mon 18/Apr/16 2:50pm

scatter wrote:a)

but get a good one like a Mocka.
Got one for number one neph when he was two. He rode it til he was four, then handed it on to number two neph.

+1 for the Mocka. We got the 'Missy' model for a second birthday present, was slightly too tall - but managed to drill an extra hold in the seat 'post' and it was perfect at that age. Still going strong - but she's well and truly riding her pedal bike now. I am adamant that balance bikes are THE BEST way to get kids pedalling - we put ours onto her pedal bike (without trainer wheels) at aged 3.5 - about 10 mins holding onto the seat and then she was away laughing.

Astoria Paranoia wrote:I've gotten my sister to do an inseam measurement and she's only 28cm.
I noticed the bikes only go down to 32cm so I might have to wait til xmas now.
Or this Mocka Mini Urban.

We're looking at one of these for our number 2. He's only just walking, but he's a machine on his tri-ang trike, and I see no reason why he wouldn't be striding around the place on one of these at 18 months old.
Conners
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 14 years 5 months

Cycling | Kids Bikes | Kids Bikes + Gear - Latest Posts