What age should people be able to buy booze in New Zealand?

Ban it all!
6%
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
2%
60%
15%
4%
2%
2%
8%
It shouldn't be restricted at all
2%

Total voters : 52

Re: What Age Should People Be Able To Buy Booze In Nz?

Postby Kazmeistyr on Fri 31/Jul/09 12:05am

XCrazy wrote:
Oli wrote:My experience is that it does alter your perceptions, but not at all like alcohol.

I'll defer to your knowledge then as I'm not very knowledgeable in either :huh:

Weed is bad. Alcohol is worserer.
I am educated in these matters. I have smoked/eaten pounds of the gunja, and I would estimate I have consumed around 1700 litres of booze, conservatively.

I am a bad boy. I need a spankin'.
Kazmeistyr
"has the power of Greyskull"
Member for: 14 years 1 month

Postby Fraser on Fri 31/Jul/09 5:23am

It is one of those things that people get all 'lets change the law to stop people drinking'

Go to continental europe, you get beer at lunch in the staff canteen. After a few days you settle down to realising getting hammered at lunch makes the day longer. So you drink less.

On the other hand there is the 'If we tax it to make it expensive, then it will be out of reach to problem alcoholics' which they have done in Norway. Only issue they have is that it is cheaper to buy heroin than beer. People nic the disinfectant from hospitals as it has alc in it. :crazy: Now they are stuck with a worse problem than NZ.

I would stick with law as it is.

As for the cannabis law, well if they could tax it and sell it like booze and cigs then everyone is happy. Hippy capitalists.
Fraser
Member for: 15 years 9 months

Postby Tama on Fri 31/Jul/09 8:06am

Fraser wrote:As for the cannabis law, well if they could tax it and sell it like booze and cigs then everyone is happy. Hippy capitalists.

I'm pretty sure the tobacco/ alcohol lobby make sure that the mere thought of legalising cannabis never passes our politicians minds. Not that politicians are effected by such things... no sir-ree... :huh:

Refined sugar kills more people that pot in New Zealand.
Tama
"Come on Ruthie let's dance"
Member for: 15 years 10 months

Postby thorg on Fri 31/Jul/09 8:51am

Tama wrote:
Fraser wrote:As for the cannabis law, well if they could tax it and sell it like booze and cigs then everyone is happy. Hippy capitalists.

I'm pretty sure the tobacco/ alcohol lobby make sure that the mere thought of legalising cannabis never passes our politicians minds. Not that politicians are effected by such things... no sir-ree... :huh:

Refined sugar kills more people that pot in New Zealand.
nooooooooo silly :rolleyes: it's the Aluminatii that control our government, the Rotarians that control Australias governement, and skull and bones that controls the USA - the tobacco and alcohol lobby just have a swing vote in Stokes Valley kindergartens AGM.
thorg
"what blog?"
Member for: 13 years 5 months

Postby E Dogg Capizzle on Fri 31/Jul/09 8:56am

thorg wrote:it's the Aluminatii that control our government

Is that some kind of secret society devoted to smelting?
E Dogg Capizzle
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man."
Member for: 15 years 1 month

Postby dented on Fri 31/Jul/09 9:12am

No silly, its the people that wear the aluminium foil on their heads so the Aliens cant read their minds.

Sheesh.
dented
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Postby Monolith on Fri 31/Jul/09 9:14am

E Dogg Capizzle wrote:
thorg wrote:it's the Aluminatii that control our government

Is that some kind of secret society devoted to smelting?

Goldmembers people?
Monolith
"Look! I still walk away"
Member for: 11 years 11 months

Postby Trail on Fri 31/Jul/09 9:39am

Fraser wrote:It is one of those things that people get all 'lets change the law to stop people drinking'

Go to continental europe, you get beer at lunch in the staff canteen. After a few days you settle down to realising getting hammered at lunch makes the day longer. So you drink less.

On the other hand there is the 'If we tax it to make it expensive, then it will be out of reach to problem alcoholics' which they have done in Norway. Only issue they have is that it is cheaper to buy heroin than beer. People nic the disinfectant from hospitals as it has alc in it. :crazy: Now they are stuck with a worse problem than NZ.

I would stick with law as it is.

As for the cannabis law, well if they could tax it and sell it like booze and cigs then everyone is happy. Hippy capitalists.

It is an attitude problem rather than a law problem. Seems that any culture that has had a viking influence at some stage tend to drink to get drunk at any time they can...
Trail
"Concentrating on technique"
Member for: 9 years 2 months

Postby shmoodiver on Fri 31/Jul/09 9:46am

i'm no viking! i'm a pirate arrrrrr!
shmoodiver
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Member for: 10 years 1 month

Postby philstar on Fri 31/Jul/09 9:52am

Monolith wrote:
XCrazy wrote:. I don't imagine people driving stoned as being much better than driving drunk :crazy:

Say you're stoned and you're involved in a collision; you're only going 15km/h :D

for the bulk of people that is true, though I have met the odd person who gets aggressive when stoned, and aggressive drivers have accidents, IMO it is not the impaired reaction time that cause drunk drivers to have accidents, its that they are more likely to drive like twats.

as for drinking, we need to teach people to drink without being complete twats, that means letting young people get drunk where they don't make a nuisance of them selves, so I'm with the 18 in bars, 20 from the off-licence, ban advertising, and work out why people want to escape from the world so much that they drink the selves into a coma.
philstar
"misanthropic"
Member for: 11 years 7 months

Postby ThingOne on Fri 31/Jul/09 10:03am

Its so ingrained in our culture it would take decades if at all to change attitudes.

Who at work on mondays heres all the drinking war stories..
"I was so smashed I blah blah blah"
"I got drunk and woke up in a blah blah blah"

Adults behave like kids when it comes to booze then expect the "youth" to show restraint.
Tons of people have absolutly nothing else fun in their lives apart from getting smashed.

Quite sad really.
ThingOne
"www.bushloveracing.com"
Member for: 10 years 7 months

Postby Joel on Fri 31/Jul/09 10:16am

anyway. tried that new steinlager beer last nite, 3.5% and "natural"... quite nice for a mid strength beer and half the calories!
Joel
"Style over speed"
Member for: 15 years 7 months

Health | Politics | Sifting - Latest Posts