What age should people be able to buy booze in New Zealand?

Ban it all!
6%
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
2%
60%
15%
4%
2%
2%
8%
It shouldn't be restricted at all
2%

Total voters : 52

Re: What Age Should People Be Able To Buy Booze In Nz?

Postby sanspareil on Thu 30/Jul/09 10:08pm

I suggest 93, surely you couldn't fight or show your arse at that age could you?
sanspareil
Member for: 9 years 3 months

Postby Kazmeistyr on Thu 30/Jul/09 10:29pm

Ben_T wrote:now that everyone is over 20 and have had their fun it is fine to rase the drinking age...

Correct. But back in my day, chicks wore clothes and were not more fucked up than than the yobbo blokes.
Kazmeistyr
"has the power of Greyskull"
Member for: 14 years 1 month

Postby JohnnyC on Thu 30/Jul/09 10:36pm

XCrazy wrote:I think although saying that alcohol causes more deaths than all the other drugs is true it is misleading because of the ease of availability of alcohol in comparison to the other drugs. Legalize cannabis and outlaw alcohol and you will probably find cannabis will cause a similar type of problem. I don't imagine people driving stoned as being much better than driving drunk :crazy:

I agree that Cannabis is no worse than alcohol but outlawing alcohol won't make it go away but it would then only be available through gangs and other dangerous people. Drugs of all types are always going to be available and if people want them, they will go through whatever means necessary to get it.

I don't think bringing the drinking age up to 20 will make a huge difference to the way people drink, it won't hurt but everyone starts drinking at 14 anyway so kids are still going to be able to get it.

Maybe reducing beer advertisements from sporting events and universities would help, it seems like uni students all feel obliged to get wasted every weekend and the way companies like Tui sponsor Ensoc and other clubs only supports that
JohnnyC
Member for: 14 years 8 months

Postby j2hyde on Thu 30/Jul/09 10:42pm

Kazmeistyr wrote:
Ben_T wrote:now that everyone is over 20 and have had their fun it is fine to rase the drinking age...

Correct. But back in my day, chicks wore clothes and were not more fucked up than than the yobbo blokes.

Wow, your day sucked
j2hyde
"I'm not for that. I'm for the ladies."
Member for: 12 years 1 month

Oli
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Postby Kazmeistyr on Thu 30/Jul/09 10:46pm

j2hyde wrote:
Kazmeistyr wrote:

Wow, your day sucked

I dunno, I was never into picking up some bird that was covered in chunder and was wearing bugger all but a belt and a strip of fabric.
Kazmeistyr
"has the power of Greyskull"
Member for: 14 years 1 month

Postby j2hyde on Thu 30/Jul/09 10:56pm

You're not that old. You can't tell me big hair, shoulder pads and legwarmers were any better.

Kids haven't changed much in the last few decades, they've got a few new gadgets to play with now but the fundamentals are still the same.
j2hyde
"I'm not for that. I'm for the ladies."
Member for: 12 years 1 month

Postby XCrazy on Thu 30/Jul/09 10:57pm

Monolith wrote:
XCrazy wrote:I think although saying that alcohol causes more deaths than all the other drugs is true it is misleading because of the ease of availability of alcohol in comparison to the other drugs. Legalize cannabis and outlaw alcohol and you will probably find cannabis will cause a similar type of problem. I don't imagine people driving stoned as being much better than driving drunk :crazy:

I understand what you're saying. Still, there are NO recorded cases of cannabis causing death - that immediately makes it safer than booze. Also, people driving stoned are no risk at all. Say you're stoned and you're involved in a collision; you're only going 15km/h :D

Interestingly there was just an article in the news about a lady accused of killing her child as she was to stoned to belt them in properly and was driving way too fast :eh:
XCrazy
"WWJD...... What Would Jens Do?"
Member for: 10 years 8 months

Postby DropKick on Thu 30/Jul/09 10:58pm

JohnnyC wrote:

I agree that Cannabis is no worse than alcohol but outlawing alcohol won't make it go away but it would then only be available through gangs and other dangerous people. Drugs of all types are always going to be available and if people want them, they will go through whatever means necessary to get it.

I don't think bringing the drinking age up to 20 will make a huge difference to the way people drink, it won't hurt but everyone starts drinking at 14 anyway so kids are still going to be able to get it.

Maybe reducing beer advertisements from sporting events and universities would help, it seems like uni students all feel obliged to get wasted every weekend and the way companies like Tui sponsor Ensoc and other clubs only supports that

I reckon making it 20-21 would affect the university crowd a bit. I always saw a part of the issue was that 1st year uni, its your first time away from nagging parents, you can finally buy grog yourself (plus prob have more money) - its time to go to town on that shit!

whereas making it 21 you'd have a year or two out of home to mature a little/get over the thrill of no boundaries. so its kind of staggering it out a bit. (plus after 2-3 years of uni how many students have any money!).

I guess there's a shoitload with fake ids though.
DropKick
Member for: 14 years 7 months

Postby Oli on Thu 30/Jul/09 11:07pm

XCrazy wrote:
Monolith wrote:

I understand what you're saying. Still, there are NO recorded cases of cannabis causing death - that immediately makes it safer than booze. Also, people driving stoned are no risk at all. Say you're stoned and you're involved in a collision; you're only going 15km/h :D

Interestingly there was just an article in the news about a lady accused of killing her child as she was to stoned to belt them in properly and was driving way too fast :eh:

Accused of that - it's just the prosecution's assertion that the pot (3 hours before, wtf?) impaired her judgement and there's no actual proof. It seems much more likely to me that it was more the speed she was travelling at that caused the loss of control which killed her poor kid.
Oli

Postby Oli on Thu 30/Jul/09 11:10pm

And since time immemorial kids have been getting shit-faced, it's just that in our day (late 70s/early 80s for me) there were far less outlets to obtain alcohol so perhaps it wasn't so obscenely public. I certainly saw my fair share of vomit covered girls and boys though, and some of them near naked to boot! :o
Oli

Postby XCrazy on Thu 30/Jul/09 11:14pm

Oli wrote:
XCrazy wrote:
Monolith wrote:

Accused of that - it's just the prosecution's assertion that the pot (3 hours before, wtf?) impaired her judgement and there's no actual proof. It seems much more likely to me that it was more the speed she was travelling at that caused the loss of control which killed her poor kid.

I did say accused, I do understand that doesn't mean she did it. What I really am trying to get at is that weed can alter perceptions in just as dangerous ways as alcohol
XCrazy

Postby Oli on Thu 30/Jul/09 11:17pm

My experience is that it does alter your perceptions, but not at all like alcohol.
Oli

Postby XCrazy on Thu 30/Jul/09 11:24pm

Oli wrote:My experience is that it does alter your perceptions, but not at all like alcohol.

I'll defer to your knowledge then as I'm not very knowledgeable in either :huh:
XCrazy

Postby Oli on Thu 30/Jul/09 11:26pm

Hey, it's just what I've been told, alright!? :paranoid:
Oli

Health | Politics | Sifting - Latest Posts