Wharfedale Accommodation/shuttle Idea

Postby el sol on Fri 25th Aug 11:16am

Yo, Vorb

My fiance and I have recently purchased a block of land near the View Hill entrance to the Wharfedale Track.

I'm floating the idea of offering a farm stay kind of arrangement as we are planting out a lot of trees and growing vegetables using permaculture methods.

I've wondered if it might also be worth offering accommodation to people that are riding or hiking the Wharfedale?

We are living in a tiny house, but I can build a couple of cabins and there's heaps of room for tent sites. I have a home bike workshop that would be pretty handy, I'm sure.

Do you think anyone would be interested? The other idea was offering a shuttle pick up from Lees Valley to shorten the ride back into town.

Am I 'avin a laugh?

Chur!
el sol
Member for: 1 year 5 months

Re: Wharfedale Accommodation/shuttle Idea

Postby swtchbckr on Fri 25th Aug 1:30pm

I'd say give it a go. If you can set up cheaply and just invest in a bit of advertising in the right places to see how it goes, then there's minimal loss. I'll be interested to know how you go. I'm always having ideas of this sort of jazz - this sort of farmstay/wwoofer/adventure-tourism set up..
I'm sorry i wouldnt be one of your customers, as we always just do an in and out or some form of loop (that doesnt include Lees Valley), but people from other regions and countries might jump on it...

(Personally I reckon semi-marginal farms on Banks Peninsula are missing the boat on provision of a Tora (Wairarapa Coast) style farm-stay accommodation and mtnbike trail network... if a few landowners got together, got trail networks put in, charged for access, and provided boutique accommodation and food, surely it's a way of a future to get more out of their struggling sheep and beef farms on country that's too steep to ride the dairy effluent wave?)
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 12 years 8 months

Postby el_booto on Fri 25th Aug 3:40pm

el sol wrote:Yo, Vorb

My fiance and I have recently purchased a block of land near the View Hill entrance to the Wharfedale Track.

I'm floating the idea of offering a farm stay kind of arrangement as we are planting out a lot of trees and growing vegetables using permaculture methods.

I've wondered if it might also be worth offering accommodation to people that are riding or hiking the Wharfedale?

We are living in a tiny house, but I can build a couple of cabins and there's heaps of room for tent sites. I have a home bike workshop that would be pretty handy, I'm sure.

Do you think anyone would be interested? The other idea was offering a shuttle pick up from Lees Valley to shorten the ride back into town.

Am I 'avin a laugh?

Chur!

welcome to the neighborhood! :thumbsup: (i have family land over towards the coopers creek entrance)
i reckon it could be worth a go, not much in the way of accom out there from memory bar the DOC huts
el_booto
"Don't let anyone say "the world is your oyster" the world is not an oyster..."
Member for: 11 years 10 months

Postby matnz on Tue 29th Aug 2:26pm

Its one of those things you either do or don't do, unfortunately the days of charging a small fee for a small service to earn a bit on the side are long gone, you probably now need to go to university and have a degree in sucking eggs to fart in the direction of tourist or local.

Consider opening a place for the tourists in campers to park up for the night. All the ones with Certified Self Containment need is a flat bit of ground, so only cost is laying down a firm base. Put in a toilet and a tap, the rest are catered for. Add a shower and your good for another $5 a night. Offer shuttles up to the start of the track for walkers and bike riders. All this does come with red tape though - camp ground act and RMA come to mind - talk to council. Need a P endorsement to carry passengers for reward. Might need DOC concessions just to drop people off at View Hill - not sure.

By up a dozen or so old but good quality and well maintained hard tails and hire them out - problem is you need a shed to store them, probably easiest is a shipping container to use as a workshop as well. Set it all up as a business and you might even consider having a couple of really good bikes to hire out to more dis-concerning customers. Being a premium product they would have to be maintained in as new condition, and it would be vital the owner/manger had many hours of experience using these bikes so they could offer the best advise to customers. :)
matnz
Member for: 2 years 6 months

Postby philstar on Tue 29th Aug 3:44pm

[quote="matnz"] Need a P endorsement to carry passengers for reward. Might need DOC concessions just to drop people off at View Hill - not sure.

quote]

might be able to get round this if you are just offering a car ferring service (they drive you, you drive car to other end)
philstar
"misanthropic"
Member for: 11 years 8 months

Postby matnz on Tue 29th Aug 4:53pm

Another alternate is you could become an Uber driver and then the law does not apply to you.
matnz
Member for: 2 years 6 months

Postby el sol on Wed 30th Aug 2:00pm

matnz wrote:Its one of those things you either do or don't do, unfortunately the days of charging a small fee for a small service to earn a bit on the side are long gone, you probably now need to go to university and have a degree in sucking eggs to fart in the direction of tourist or local.

Consider opening a place for the tourists in campers to park up for the night. All the ones with Certified Self Containment need is a flat bit of ground, so only cost is laying down a firm base. Put in a toilet and a tap, the rest are catered for. Add a shower and your good for another $5 a night. Offer shuttles up to the start of the track for walkers and bike riders. All this does come with red tape though - camp ground act and RMA come to mind - talk to council. Need a P endorsement to carry passengers for reward. Might need DOC concessions just to drop people off at View Hill - not sure.

By up a dozen or so old but good quality and well maintained hard tails and hire them out - problem is you need a shed to store them, probably easiest is a shipping container to use as a workshop as well. Set it all up as a business and you might even consider having a couple of really good bikes to hire out to more dis-concerning customers. Being a premium product they would have to be maintained in as new condition, and it would be vital the owner/manger had many hours of experience using these bikes so they could offer the best advise to customers. :)

Cheers for the advice! I have one of those egg sucking degrees with hons somewhere. The council are a challenge at the best of times (don't get me started), but you're right, I'll have to have a good yarn with them.

The bike hire thing isn't a bad idea, but I find it hard enough keeping my own fleet maintained.

I do need an excuse to buy a shipping container!
el sol
Member for: 1 year 5 months

Canterbury | Cycling | Middle South Island | Mountain Biking | New Zealand | Regions - Latest Posts