Re: Whaka Forest Mtb Trails For Garmin Gps

Postby donovan on Sun 8/Feb/09 2:42pm

iodi wrote:Meanwhile, it would be best to have a chat with Jonny about adding altitude charts to the site, in terms of data format, data storage, presentation of the charts, managing the script, etc.

I quite like this style for presentation:

http://www.cyclechallenge.com/maps.asp

(check out the two profiles)

The other thing to decide is whether to have a consistent scale for all profiles or whether to scale them appropriately so they always fit into a given area. I favour consistent area with scaling but that's just me. I guess whoever puts the work into making them gets to choose :)
donovan
Member for: 9 years 3 months

Postby Surveyor_Steve on Tue 17/Feb/09 8:10am

I've been reading this thread with interest and have to say that I'm am struggling to manipulate tracks, routes and waypoints in MapSource. MapSource appears to be a pretty useless tool for converting data formats even within itself. MapSource can't seem to change a track into a route or waypoints. It doesn't import kml or other formats so I have to use of external compilers some of which are not compatable and have problems.

I'm a surveyor and use Trimble GPS as a precise measuring tool and the software that it runs and comes with it is way better. I have a Garmin 60CSx which is easy to use and full of goodies but I'd use it a whole lot more if MapSource was better and allowed me to use and share data with others. I would have thought that if Garmin offered better software, their products would sell more.

Thats my two cents.
Surveyor_Steve
Member for: 11 years 2 months

Postby ArjanH on Tue 17/Feb/09 8:27am

Surveyor_Steve wrote:I've been reading this thread with interest and have to say that I'm am struggling to manipulate tracks, routes and waypoints in MapSource. MapSource appears to be a pretty useless tool for converting data formats even within itself. MapSource can't seem to change a track into a route or waypoints. It doesn't import kml or other formats so I have to use of external compilers some of which are not compatable and have problems.

I'm a surveyor and use Trimble GPS as a precise measuring tool and the software that it runs and comes with it is way better. I have a Garmin 60CSx which is easy to use and full of goodies but I'd use it a whole lot more if MapSource was better and allowed me to use and share data with others. I would have thought that if Garmin offered better software, their products would sell more.

Thats my two cents.

I couldn't agree more ... I don't think i have ever used mapsource for anything other than transferring data to and from the gps units.
ArjanH
Member for: 9 years 10 months

Postby Surveyor_Steve on Tue 17/Feb/09 9:24am

Just tried GPSBabel and it appears to convert tracks to routes as well as other combinations. I've digitised a riverhead forest trail map so I'll try and upload the trails as routes and ride some in the weekend.
Surveyor_Steve
Member for: 11 years 2 months

Postby iodi on Tue 17/Feb/09 11:14am

Surveyor_Steve wrote:MapSource appears to be a pretty useless tool for converting data formats even within itself.

Mapsource is pretty useless generally.

I use Google Earth quite a bit for both creating tracks for the Tracks site and for planning rides. There are heaps of freeware tools available for doing GPS related tasks, with Free Geography Tools being a good place to start.
iodi
"I like dolphins"
Member for: 9 years 9 months

Postby ArjanH on Thu 27/Aug/09 10:28pm

Its been a while since I did anything with the maps.
I have just updated them and added a few more trails. Its still a long way of being 100% complete but its getting closer.
I have also made a map with a Topographical background and uploaded it to the same website for anybody without an topo map already to download and use. The routing works almost flawlessly now (I say almost because I haven't yet tested every single trail but it definately works in the tests in my PC).

You can find them here
http://mapcenter2.cgpsmapper.com/maplist.php?author=4243

I have just noticed that the topo maps haven't been compiled yet by the website so you will either have to wait for the compiled versin to be released or compile it yourself.

Cheers

Arjan
ArjanH
Member for: 9 years 10 months

Bay of Plenty | Middle North Island | New Zealand | Orienteering | Regions - Latest Posts