Re: Whaka Forest Mtb Trails For Garmin Gps

Postby ArjanH on Mon 26/Jan/09 10:17pm

I have put M3 on my ftp server. You can download it from http://glide.0r.co.nz/whakamaps/M3Setup.exe.

Works every time for me. I have had issues with some of the others as well so don't feel alone on that one :)
ArjanH
Member for: 11 years 3 months

Postby JonnyW on Wed 28/Jan/09 2:30pm

Hi All

I do own the Tracks.org.nz website :) and I am keen to see if there is any real interest in me opening it up to cover more (or all) of New Zealand?

I have set up a structure where you can add and edit track info. But the content is best created by people who regularly use those tracks. That way you can keep the track info up to date and provide updates about the status of the track.

My initial idea for the website was to have just track info and current status (like open, closed due to slip, blocked because of tree but passible, etc). You can upload kml GPS files at present. This is initially so I can display the tracks on the google maps, but it would be better if you could get GPX (or whatever, I have an open source converter just waiting to plug in) files to upload to your device.

Anyway, I have lots of features that can be added but right now I'm keen to know if I should expand it?

Cheers
Jonny
http://tracks.org.nz
JonnyW
"www.bushloveracing.com"
Member for: 11 years 4 months

Postby mtbskier on Wed 28/Jan/09 5:10pm

It would be great to have a site were you could download /upload tramping, mountainbike tracks etc. A lot more trampers/ mtb's are using GPS's ( My collection is edge 705, 60CSx and phone) and a common site would be great.
Most of the road rides are covered with map my ride so there should not be any need to add them.
You would need a group of guys adding / updating the tracks on a regular basis similar to the very successful open GPS site (http://nzopengps.org/)
mtbskier
Member for: 11 years 6 months

Postby ArjanH on Wed 28/Jan/09 8:10pm

Hey Johny.

I think that would be an excellent idea. I would happily add the Rotorua stuff I have to your site. Being a rider of very average skill, fitness and stamina :D :blush: I do not visit all the trails all the time and would hope others would add to what I already have.

I am working on updating the maps again and also trying to add the self installer used by nzopengps so people do not have to bother with any other software. maybe I could add your stuff into the map. Ultimately I would like to have a map of every single trail in NZ on my gps but I am still learning from the boys at nzopengps and I do not think I will ever have the time to do it all myself. You never know ... there is bound to be somebody else out there probably with more skills than me :).

On a sadder note .... I went for my first ride in over a month today and noticed that the latest version of my maps has an issue with the routing. It keeps coming up with an error message something like "Route cannot be found". I am trying to get to the bottom of it before I can add any additional tracks. :(
ArjanH

Postby ArjanH on Wed 28/Jan/09 8:23pm

Can somebody tell me if all the trails in NZ are graded in the same way as Rotorua?
ie: grade 1 being a kids type track to grade 6 being damn near impossible for the likes of me. :)
ArjanH

Postby Muzza on Thu 29/Jan/09 11:05am

Thanks for making m3 available.

I noticed there is an updated map (source only) on mapcenter2, will you be posting updated img file soon. I assume with the move of vorb, the homepage link their nolonger works, you may want to tidy up.

As to grades, I am unaware of any standard. The Kennett brothers 101 classic mountain bike rides uses a scale very close to whaka forest. Whereas in Wellington, Makara Peak and Track use words to rate difficulty of tracks i.e. all riders, beginner, intermediate,Advanced,expert and extreme. Would be close to Grade 1 being all rides to grade 6 being extreme.
Muzza
Member for: 16 years 4 months

Postby Muzza on Thu 29/Jan/09 12:29pm

Just tried installing a couple of maps and keep get the error opening maps. Error - there is a problem with the Product. Uninstall and try again. The map needs to be uninstall , i.e. remove reg settings otherwise mapsource will not open.

I looked into this it appears the latest mapsource version 6.14.1 may not like custom maps, or more fussy.

Quote from http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367522
You are trying to run the latest MapSource which is 6.14.1 (as I type anyways). That new version changed the look of the maps. It also breaks some/most/all non-Garmin maps. It's a solvable issue, but requires a settings change on the custom map (by the map author in most cases).

Out of interest what version of Mapsource are you using?
Muzza

Postby Muzza on Thu 29/Jan/09 4:24pm

Located previous version of Mapsource 6.13.7 and installed. Maps (img files) including your one now install with m3. Very cool.
Muzza

Postby ArjanH on Thu 29/Jan/09 8:19pm

Muzza wrote:Located previous version of Mapsource 6.13.7 and installed. Maps (img files) including your one now install with m3. Very cool.

I am using 6.12 something on one of my pc's and 6.13.7 (same as yours)on the laptop .... I will see what needs to be done with the maps to make them compatible with the new version ... not too much I hope
ArjanH

Postby iodi on Thu 29/Jan/09 8:22pm

The latest version of Mapsource is 6.15.3.0, so it might be worth upgrading to that before doing anything else.
iodi
"I like dolphins"
Member for: 11 years 1 month

Postby groklem on Thu 29/Jan/09 10:03pm

iodi wrote:
mtbrat wrote:I have a heap of tracks from around the south island and happy to share if you expand your website...

It isn't actually my website - I've just been contributing a bunch of content.

In terms of expanding beyond Wellington, thanks for the offer but as far as I'm aware that isn't in the plan at the moment. However, who knows how things may change over time.

So you are the guy who has contributed all those kml logs and track reviews? Great stuff! tracks.org.nz is an awesome resource.

Hey btw what GPS device do you use? I have an old garmin etrex and it looses signal alot.

I assume you are also logging elevation data? any chance of putting that into the kml? would be great to see some kennett bros style distance vs elevation graphs on tracks.org.nz
groklem
Member for: 11 years 9 months

Postby groklem on Thu 29/Jan/09 10:14pm

JonnyW wrote:Hi All

I do own the Tracks.org.nz website :) and I am keen to see if there is any real interest in me opening it up to cover more (or all) of New Zealand?

I have set up a structure where you can add and edit track info. But the content is best created by people who regularly use those tracks. That way you can keep the track info up to date and provide updates about the status of the track.

My initial idea for the website was to have just track info and current status (like open, closed due to slip, blocked because of tree but passible, etc). You can upload kml GPS files at present. This is initially so I can display the tracks on the google maps, but it would be better if you could get GPX (or whatever, I have an open source converter just waiting to plug in) files to upload to your device.

Anyway, I have lots of features that can be added but right now I'm keen to know if I should expand it?

Cheers
Jonny
http://tracks.org.nz

Hey Jonny great work on tracks.org.nz. Yeah I think providing gpx files would be great idea. Most people wont want to mess around with gpsbabel themselves.
groklem

Postby iodi on Thu 29/Jan/09 11:03pm

groklem wrote:So you are the guy who has contributed all those kml logs and track reviews? Great stuff! tracks.org.nz is an awesome resource.

Hey btw what GPS device do you use? I have an old garmin etrex and it looses signal alot.

I assume you are also logging elevation data? any chance of putting that into the kml? would be great to see some kennett bros style distance vs elevation graphs on tracks.org.nz

I agree that the Tracks site is an awesome resource, which is why I contribute to it. You're welcome to contribute too.

As for the GPS, I have a Vista HCx. The H stands for high sensitivity antenna, which makes quite a difference. Even so, reception is a bit flakey in places like the Karapoti Gorge, under dense tree cover and surrounded by steep hills. The only time it has ever lost signal was in the Rimutaka tunnel - I suppose a hundred metres of rock over head might have something to do with that.

The HCx has an altimeter so I do collect elevation data. I believe that elevation charts are on the Tracks list of things to do.
iodi
"I like dolphins"
Member for: 11 years 1 month

Postby ArjanH on Thu 29/Jan/09 11:40pm

iodi wrote:The latest version of Mapsource is 6.15.3.0, so it might be worth upgrading to that before doing anything else.

Don't bother ... 6.15.3 has the same issues as 6.14.3 ... From what I am reading in other forums a patch to make all the older maps that suddenly stop working isn't forthcoming in a hurry :cry: ... I am still trying to ascertain what the issue really is.

iodi wrote:Hey btw what GPS device do you use? I have an old garmin etrex and it looses signal alot.

Heh I have one of those too. It has been sitting in a cupboard ever since I got my 60csX ... there is just no comparison. I am trying to justify an upgrade to the missus but she ain't going for it. :( lol
ArjanH

Postby groklem on Fri 30/Jan/09 10:00am

There is a kml file that has all the tracks.org.nz trails in it at: http://www.gamma.net.nz/kml/tracks.kml.
The tracks are colour coded by difficulty and contain the descriptions from tracks.org
Great for viewing in google earth and planning rides that link multiple tracks
groklem

Bay of Plenty | Middle North Island | New Zealand | Orienteering | Regions - Latest Posts