This topic has not been added to any channels. This will make it hard for users to find. Type relevant channels into the Add Channel box to add them.

Wgtn South Coast Aquarium Gets Resource Consent (revoked)

Postby happybaboon on Thu 26/Oct/06 3:03pm

http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3840792a11,00.html

Fuck yeah. I don't know whats wrong with the South Coast residents. The site where they want to build this thing is a boring wasteland with no houses nearby. Just some rocks and a an ugly ass steep hill.

I suppose they're worried about traffic or something.
happybaboon
User avatar
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 19 years 8 months

Postby CaptainCaveman on Thu 26/Oct/06 3:08pm

Excellent - its about time Kiwi's stopped bickering over insignificant wasteland and did something positive with it :thumbsup:
CaptainCaveman
Member for: 17 years 4 months

Postby j2hyde on Thu 26/Oct/06 3:10pm

That'll learn them NIMBY whingers. I hope they put a few wind turbines on the roof!
j2hyde
User avatar
"I'm not for that. I'm for the ladies."
Member for: 16 years 1 month

Postby happybaboon on Thu 26/Oct/06 3:12pm

j2hyde wrote: That'll learn them NIMBY whingers. I hope they put a few wind turbines on the roof!


And a nuclear reactor in the basement! :thumbsup:
happybaboon
User avatar
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 19 years 8 months

Postby james on Thu 26/Oct/06 3:13pm

j2hyde wrote: That'll learn them NIMBY whingers. I hope they put a few wind turbines on the roof!
There are two turbines by the looks of it..... ;)
james
Member for: 17 years 8 months

Postby Bigfoot on Thu 26/Oct/06 3:13pm

CaptainCaveman wrote: Excellent - its about time Kiwi's stopped bickering over insignificant wasteland and did something positive with it :thumbsup:


whats this about burning down hamilton? :eh:
Bigfoot
User avatar
"We are the Village Green Preservation Society"
Member for: 18 years 3 months

Postby CaptainCaveman on Thu 26/Oct/06 3:15pm

Bigfoot wrote:
CaptainCaveman wrote: Excellent - its about time Kiwi's stopped bickering over insignificant wasteland and did something positive with it :thumbsup:


whats this about burning down hamilton? :eh:


Burning it down? I thought it already was :eh:

:lol:
CaptainCaveman
Member for: 17 years 4 months

Postby happybaboon on Thu 26/Oct/06 3:16pm

Bigfoot wrote:
CaptainCaveman wrote: Excellent - its about time Kiwi's stopped bickering over insignificant wasteland and did something positive with it :thumbsup:


whats this about burning down hamilton? :eh:


Waste of matches. Just take away their antibiotics and let em' all die of syphilis.
happybaboon
User avatar
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 19 years 8 months

Re: Wellington South Coast Aquarium Gets Resource Consent

Postby CrustyMTB on Thu 26/Oct/06 3:19pm

happybaboon wrote: http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3840792a11,00.html

Fuck yeah. I don't know whats wrong with the South Coast residents. The site where they want to build this thing is a boring wasteland with no houses nearby. Just some rocks and a an ugly ass steep hill.

I suppose they're worried about traffic or something.


Terakarau point has the best beach on the southcoast, great snorkelling and that will be fucked over by the Aquarium.

There are also concerns that to break even the aquarium will need to pull in 250,000 visitors, which is extremely unlikely (at least according to the Kiwi who runs the aqauraium in Perth), if it does manage that there will be some reee-dick-u-loose traffic problems in an area with 3 very narrow, windy (even by Welli standards) and already busy roads (on the weekends). They have the option of building an aqauarium on the harbour near Te Papa, where there is already parking traffic access, squillions of tourists and no environmenttal concerns...
CrustyMTB
User avatar
"Tucker's Law "If some cunt can fuck something up, that cunt will pick the worst possible time to fucking fuck it up, cause that cunt's a cunt.""
Member for: 17 years 4 months

Re: Wellington South Coast Aquarium Gets Resource Consent

Postby CaptainCaveman on Thu 26/Oct/06 3:21pm

CrustyMTB wrote:
Terakarau point has the best beach on the southcoast...


Yea, but its still crap. Its coastline, not beach.
CaptainCaveman
Member for: 17 years 4 months

Re: Wellington South Coast Aquarium Gets Resource Consent

Postby CrustyMTB on Thu 26/Oct/06 3:24pm

CaptainCaveman wrote:
CrustyMTB wrote:
Terakarau point has the best beach on the southcoast...


Yea, but its still crap. Its coastline, not beach.


A Cantabrian calling the southcoast crap! You wouldn't know coast if it sat on your face and wriggled swamp-dweller!
CrustyMTB
User avatar
"Tucker's Law "If some cunt can fuck something up, that cunt will pick the worst possible time to fucking fuck it up, cause that cunt's a cunt.""
Member for: 17 years 4 months

Re: Wellington South Coast Aquarium Gets Resource Consent

Postby CaptainCaveman on Thu 26/Oct/06 3:25pm

CrustyMTB wrote:
CaptainCaveman wrote:
CrustyMTB wrote:
Terakarau point has the best beach on the southcoast...


Yea, but its still crap. Its coastline, not beach.


A Cantabrian calling the southcoast crap! You wouldn't know coast if it sat on your face and wriggled swamp-dweller!


Your sister's name is 'Coast'?
CaptainCaveman
Member for: 17 years 4 months

Re: Wellington South Coast Aquarium Gets Resource Consent

Postby j2hyde on Thu 26/Oct/06 3:26pm

CrustyMTB wrote:
happybaboon wrote: http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3840792a11,00.html

Fuck yeah. I don't know whats wrong with the South Coast residents. The site where they want to build this thing is a boring wasteland with no houses nearby. Just some rocks and a an ugly ass steep hill.

I suppose they're worried about traffic or something.


Terakarau point has the best beach on the southcoast, great snorkelling and that will be fucked over by the Aquarium.

There are also concerns that to break even the aquarium will need to pull in 250,000 visitors, which is extremely unlikely (at least according to the Kiwi who runs the aqauraium in Perth), if it does manage that there will be some reee-dick-u-loose traffic problems in an area with 3 very narrow, windy (even by Welli standards) and already busy roads (on the weekends). They have the option of building an aqauarium on the harbour near Te Papa, where there is already parking traffic access, squillions of tourists and no environmenttal concerns...


If the council are willing to pitch in (and they are) then who cares about breaking even, and it's a perfect opportunity to build some decent roads. All that wind will be great for the wind turbines too!
j2hyde
User avatar
"I'm not for that. I'm for the ladies."
Member for: 16 years 1 month

Re: Wellington South Coast Aquarium Gets Resource Consent

Postby Tama on Thu 26/Oct/06 3:30pm

CrustyMTB wrote:There are also concerns that to break even the aquarium will need to pull in 250,000 visitors, which is extremely unlikely (at least according to the Kiwi who runs the aquarium in Perth)

This is my beef with the aquarium - I'm guessing that the Wellington ratepayers are going to be giving them a loan/ grant/ huge pile of cash to help them get started?

The Karori Sanctuary was originally put forward as being able to break even at 150,000 visitors - which it would supposedly attract without any problems. Currently the Sanctuary is attracting 60,000 visitors and apparently now needs a $16 million visitor centre to increase visitors to 170,000. For added fun the ratepayers/ taxpayers are supposed to be footing a large chunk of the bill of the visitor centre.
Tama
User avatar
"Come on Ruthie let's dance"
Member for: 19 years 10 months

Re: Wellington South Coast Aquarium Gets Resource Consent

Postby j2hyde on Thu 26/Oct/06 3:32pm

Tama wrote:This is my beef with the aquarium - I'm guessing that the Wellington ratepayers are going to be giving them a loan/ grant/ huge pile of cash to help them get started?


a paltry $8 million
j2hyde
User avatar
"I'm not for that. I'm for the ladies."
Member for: 16 years 1 month

- Latest Posts

Who is online

75 Users browsing this website: Google [Bot] and 74 guests

REMEBER TO CLICK THE LINKS WHEN BUYING FROM VORB SUPPORTERS


  • GT Bicycles
  • ProBikeKit
  • Vorb Shop
  • Wiggle
  • Chain Reaction Cycles