20%
Just get better tyres
40%
Don't ride again till summer
20%

Total voters : 10

Wet N Forget Versus 30 Seconds

Postby G on Thu 27/May/10 11:49am

Just curious as to which is better/quicker/longer lasting…
Wet n Forget or 30 Seconds (outdoor cleaner)

I have a bunch of wooden structures up in the forest, Whare Flat, Dunedin that are getting sketchy in the wet. They’ve been in for a few years so figured it would be good to spray them with something to get rid of growing stuff.

Your thoughts would be appreciated

Cheers
G
G
Member for: 8 years 11 months

Re: Wet N Forget Versus 30 Seconds

Postby pushbikerider on Thu 27/May/10 12:23pm

Which ever one had the stereo typical Japanese man "I spray and walk away"
pushbikerider
"Gone Riding.........."
Member for: 12 years 5 months

Postby wuffy on Thu 27/May/10 12:25pm

pushbikerider wrote:Which ever one had the stereo typical Japanese man "I spray and walk away"

I was thinking exactly the same thing :p
wuffy
Member for: 5 years 3 months

Postby spazzwhiz on Thu 27/May/10 12:31pm

I use the below on my concrete paths, have done for a few years. Might not be as fast acting as those you suggest but cheaper and in the long term more effective (in my experience).

http://www.nwp.co.nz/soakncroak.htm
spazzwhiz
Member for: 6 years 6 months

Postby Henry Dorset Case on Thu 27/May/10 1:06pm

waterblaster, then a garden sprayer with something like janola to kill spores. Given the environment nothing will stop it eventually growing back, so you just have to do maintenance.
Henry Dorset Case
"[b]DO THEY SPEAK ENGLISH IN WHAT?[/b]"
Member for: 12 years 4 months

Postby happybaboon on Thu 27/May/10 1:07pm

pushbikerider wrote:Which ever one had the stereo typical Japanese man "I spray and walk away"

30 seconds outdoor spray.

Yeah, go by how racist/funny the ad is. I've never even heard of the other one, so it must have crap ads.
happybaboon
User avatarMedal
Member for: 12 years 6 months

Postby ThingOne on Thu 27/May/10 1:20pm

Go cheap and use diluted bleach, thats probably all 30 seconds is anyway.
ThingOne
"www.bushloveracing.com"
Member for: 7 years 5 months

Postby e3xtc on Thu 27/May/10 1:25pm

I would water blast, and then use Wet and Forget. But what has already been said still rings true - it will need maintenance and whatever product you use, this wil apply.
From my use of both products, 30 Seconds tends to be a bit quicker acting but doesn't quite last as long.
:blink:
e3xtc
Member for: 6 years 10 months

Postby danose on Thu 27/May/10 1:30pm

before you use either you should talk to whoever controls the land (council) - since both products are relatively toxic they may well not be happy with you using either (depends on the vegetation around the structures)
danose
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"
Member for: 10 years 2 months

Postby ThingOne on Thu 27/May/10 1:33pm

I think you can use Zinc Sulphate as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zinc_sulfate
ThingOne
"www.bushloveracing.com"
Member for: 7 years 5 months

Postby OliverBendix on Thu 27/May/10 1:39pm

ThingOne wrote:Go cheap and use diluted bleach, thats probably all 30 seconds is anyway.

I thought the same thing, so I looked at one of these products in the shop the other day and saw that the active ingredient was sodium hypochlorite - plain bleach. I'm going to check the dilution they're using and mix up some Janola to match.
OliverBendix
"Punter"
Member for: 8 years 0 months

Postby pissface on Thu 27/May/10 2:10pm

G wrote:Just curious as to which is better/quicker/longer lasting…
Wet n Forget or 30 Seconds (outdoor cleaner)

I have a bunch of wooden structures up in the forest, Whare Flat, Dunedin that are getting sketchy in the wet. They’ve been in for a few years so figured it would be good to spray them with something to get rid of growing stuff.

Your thoughts would be appreciated

Cheers
G

ditto a waterblast , if you can drag a petrol one up there. i have done spray-on solutions onto my deck at home (probably very similar situation) both a walk-away type thing and plain janola solution, and the killed stuff turns into a really slippery mess for a while on wood if you don't scrub it off, at least until a few decent rains have been. you'll want a dry day for the stuff to soak in and get working, too.
pissface
"Boneshaker"
Member for: 11 years 6 months

Postby G on Thu 27/May/10 2:31pm

Yeah water blasting isn’t going to work as it’s out on some pretty tech singletrack trails, as I said in the original post. Basically looking for something I can spray on and leave and the rain will wash it away…and stuff will be significantly grippier.

Not sure where you’re getting the toxic bit from as both websites state it’s safe. 30 seconds says it’s even biodegradable. The forest is council owned pine forest but I won’t be touching anything toxic for my own well being let alone the environment.

Thanks for your thoughts
G
Member for: 8 years 11 months

Postby pissface on Thu 27/May/10 2:37pm

G wrote: pretty tech singletrack trails, as I said in the original post.
nah you just said up in the forest.

anyway, pine forests are themselves pretty toxic for other things to grow in. i would say a spot of bleach won't make fuckall difference
pissface
"Boneshaker"
Member for: 11 years 6 months

Postby danose on Thu 27/May/10 2:38pm

G wrote:Not sure where you’re getting the toxic bit from as both websites state it’s safe. 30 seconds says it’s even biodegradable.

toxic to plants - you get overspray on them and you'll kill them. Yes sodium hypochlorite breaks down relatively fast - but I'd no more want to get 30secs on a plant than I'd want to tip janola over it. They explicitly state to spray down any foliage that's got overspray on with clean water (within 10mins) , and clearly where you're using it that's just not going to be doable - so expect to have all the grass around your structures die
danose
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"
Member for: 10 years 2 months

Cycling | Trail Building - Latest Posts