Wellington - Southstar Shuttle Trial

Postby Jeff on Wed 9/Sep/09 11:37am

Southstar http://www.southstaradventures.com will be trialling a Wellington shuttle for mountain bikers in Long Gully Station for the weekend of Sept 19th /20th 09. If you have left over tickets from the Rotorua or Christchurch shuttle you can use those, or tickets will be available from the shuttle driver.

Normally Long Gully is only accessible for Wellington MTB Club members (except during WMTBC events), but for this weekend only, anyone can ride the shuttle. In part recognition of the fantastic trails developed and maintained by the Wellington MTB Club, club members will recieve a 6th uplift free when purchasing a 5 uplift card. (membership card needs to be presented)

Long Gully has 3 DH trails and Jawbone that is really fun and you can ride on a trail bike or DH bike. Trail Map
lg_track_map002_201.pdf
Long Gully Trail Map
Downloaded 266 times
The trails are generally rocky and quite steep (in comparson to Rotorua or Christchurch). The WMTBC has plans to develop easier grade 3-4 Super D style trails in the future.

Directions:
From the central city drive up to Brooklyn and follow the signs directing you to the wind turbine. The suburban turn off you are looking for is 48 Ashton Fitchett Drive. Drive past the wind turbine and park near the gate at the far end of the car park (please don't drive past here). The shuttle will pick up from this carpark at 9.30am and 1pm. If you arrive outside these times please ride from the carpark to the next junction and wait there to be picked up. Last uplift 3.30pm

What happens if the trial is well supported? The access agreement with the owners of Long Gully Station and MOU with WMTBC will be finalised and shuttles will start asap.
What happens if it's raining? The shuttle won't operate. You can text me for an update 021619954 if it's dodgy.

The shuttle will also be used for the WMTBC DH race event the following weekend. Event details are here: http://www.WMTBC.org.nz

I'll check back here and answer any questions that get posted.
Cheers
Jeff
Last edited by Jeff on Wed 9/Sep/09 6:36pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeff
Member for: 15 years 0 months

Re: Wellington - Southstar Shuttle Trial

Postby VERT on Wed 9/Sep/09 12:38pm

Hi Jeff, I would like to give my support to the trial, unfortunately I am out of town that weekend so wont be shuttling but if I was here I definitely would be so you can add me as +1 for support.
VERT

Postby Mike_the_Hippy on Wed 9/Sep/09 12:51pm

For those that do attend , just be aware there will be some track maintenance going on down the jawbone track on sunday 10am -2pm.

we will how ever do our best keep as much of the track open as possible :)
Mike_the_Hippy
Member for: 14 years 7 months

Postby jerms669 on Wed 9/Sep/09 12:56pm

VERT wrote:Hi Jeff, I would like to give my support to the trial, unfortunately I am out of town that weekend so wont be shuttling but if I was here I definitely would be so you can add me as +1 for support.

2nd'ed, Ill be a season pass holder for sure when it gets up and running, but Im up the mountain that weekend :(
jerms669
Member for: 13 years 0 months

Postby feist on Wed 9/Sep/09 1:27pm

Hey - what type of protective gear do we need? Full face?

Cheers,

Iain
feist
Member for: 11 years 10 months

Postby brutalfreeride on Wed 9/Sep/09 1:43pm

feist wrote:Hey - what type of protective gear do we need? Full face?

Cheers,

Iain

You just remember to wear pants please :)
brutalfreeride
"www.kenfeistcx.com"
Member for: 8 years 5 months

Postby danpsmith on Wed 9/Sep/09 1:43pm

Can't make it, damn my broken collar bone :angry: :angry: :angry:

I'd be another season pass holder if it does go well.
danpsmith
Member for: 11 years 2 months

Postby Mike_the_Hippy on Wed 9/Sep/09 1:49pm

we highly reccomend it , and gloves and shin pads at minimum!

There is some loose gravel , exposed rock and plenty of gorse for when the wind blows you off track.
Mike_the_Hippy
Member for: 14 years 7 months

Postby wachtourak on Wed 9/Sep/09 4:25pm

Jeff wrote:The trails are generally rocky and quite steep (in comparson to Rotorua or Christchurch).

Compared to Rotorua maybe? But surely not Christchurch...at least in my experiences.

Stroppy that I've already got plans that weekend or else I would be so there. The race track rules so hard
wachtourak
"IMDABES"

Postby Whoops on Wed 9/Sep/09 8:52pm

Curse you.

Still no love for Auckland?
Whoops
"Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious"
Member for: 11 years 6 months

Postby Tomasz on Thu 10/Sep/09 12:42am

Great! -- just in time to get some extra practice before the race (and I need lotsa mileage 2 get myself back up 2 speed, pun intended ;)
Tomasz
Member for: 12 years 10 months

Postby Jono on Thu 10/Sep/09 5:26am

I'll be there. Gotta be like worzel gummidge and put my DH head on in time for the race...
Jono
"High Grade Mental Defective"
Member for: 15 years 11 months

Postby CrustyMTB on Sat 12/Sep/09 12:48pm

Ohhhhhhh I may need to be there...
CrustyMTB
"Tucker's Law "If some cunt can fuck something up, that cunt will pick the worst possible time to fucking fuck it up, cause that cunt's a cunt.""
Member for: 13 years 5 months

Postby big_d on Mon 14/Sep/09 9:38am

I'm going to try to make it on Saturday once I've finished servicing my forks.
Regardless I'll be there on Sunday with bells on :thumbsup:
big_d
"GIGAAANNNNNNTOOR!"
Member for: 14 years 6 months

Postby tives on Mon 14/Sep/09 9:39am

how much will it be for one day
tives
Member for: 10 years 6 months

Clubs | Cycling | Downhill Racing | Lower North Island | Mountain Biking | New Zealand | News | Regions | Shuttling | Wellington | Wellington MTB Club | Wellington Region - Latest Posts