Postby Tugboat on Sun 7/Oct/07 10:08pm

Joel wrote: well the lake wairapa event was cancelled this morning due to winds, bit of pain.. made it back to where i was staying in time to see the second half of the rugby. now i wish i had just gone for a ride which is what i was deciding betwen.. arrgh bugger

race report for saturday?

Stink about the Wairarapa ride being cancelled... wouldn't have been too much of a "fun ride" out in that weather I guess but a bitch of an early morning drive for nought.
Tugboat
"Bringing back the biff"
Member for: 14 years 3 months

Postby 1scotty1 on Mon 8/Oct/07 7:49am

The wairarapa ride would have been cancelled because of cross winds. We road down the western lake road after prize giving to the turn off and it was quite warm and pleasant. Only windy in a couple of spots.
A good brekkie at the pub watching the test made the early drive ok.
1scotty1
Member for: 16 years 1 month

Postby Tojja on Mon 8/Oct/07 9:13am

My race report from Saturday (NOT for or worthy of reprint, mainly for frustration venting!):

Arrived at race with Sifter with literally 5 minutes to spare (terrible timing miscalcuation on my part), got dressed, went for the longest piss in the history of pisses (seriously, was 60 seconds plus!), jumped on bike and half-way down the Gladstone Sports complex driveway I hear the start whistle. Sprinted to catch on the back of Open about 1km up the road, still trying to put gloves on (which were inside out as well). Pace was cruisy for first 5km into the northerly though, so enough time to sort myself out

Sat up towards and on the front for a few km, then settled into the pack, rounded the first turn and BANG, it was over - a huge attack with massive crosswinds stringing everyone into a line. Great move and I found myself (with others) totally out of position and unable to claw my way back.

Worked hard and consolidated with Steve Pyne and A Crossling, the nslowly strated catching afew others (including Chapman Jr). A few minutes later five Vets came past (Lawn etc), and Steve and I jumped on their wheels.

Around that time my bike started having mechanicals (gears jumping, derailleur pulley squealing), remnants from a crash earlier in the week - by the time we got to the end of the first loop that was me done - the thought of doing two more of those wind ravaged loops with a bike that was playing up just was not pleasant.

Was all good though - while I had DNFed, at least I could wake up the next day and watch the ABs slaughter France...

...needless to say I have had better weekends!
Tojja
Member for: 15 years 4 months

Postby Tugboat on Mon 8/Oct/07 9:54am

Sifter looks pretty good on a roadie...

http://www.pbase.com/bencopsey/image/86832104

...although I should have posted a link to the photo Ben took where Sifter has his tongue hanging out.
Last edited by Tugboat on Mon 8/Oct/07 10:01am, edited 1 time in total.
Tugboat
"Bringing back the biff"
Member for: 14 years 3 months

Postby SamultheCamul on Mon 8/Oct/07 10:01am

heard that my new teamate, big dan got 2nd, and 1st in ther series.
good stuff!
SamultheCamul
Member for: 17 years 4 months

Postby SteveC on Mon 8/Oct/07 10:33am

It was a bit of a sufferfest out there on Saturday with the crosswinds sorting the men from the boys. It was predictable though and shouldn't have been a surprise to anyone that after a 5km beat into the head wind from the start the left turn was going to make it difficult to ride the sleigh. In the masters 3+ grade, I managed to roll off the front with Malcolm Perry 1km before the turn on the first lap and we immediately settled into TTT mode - for the next 80km. This probably made the crosswinds easier to handle because we had steady 60sec efforts and the rests rather than the constant gutter riding and attacks you get in a bunch. It was a pretty boring race after our escape as we just put in a constant effort and finished >5mins in front of the chasers. We passed a large masters 1+ chase bunch (8 riders) at the start of Millars Rd on the second lap and they sat on our wheel for the rest of the race although they were down to 3 riders the last time up Millars. With no chase group in sight at the top of Millars on that last lap Malcolm and I eased up and let the 3 Vet1+ riders go through and we just cruised home. We didn't contest the sprint in the end, because we thought I may have enough pts with a win in this race to also take the series - we were wrong though Bruce Galaway of Ramblers had done enough in the first 2 races to take the series with 45pts, I was 2nd with 37.
SteveC
Member for: 15 years 6 months

Postby Tojja on Mon 8/Oct/07 10:57am

Yeah, very predictable if you were thinking - with that sort of cross-wind there is no second chance when you are caught napping (guilty).

Excellent work Steve, that TTT gave you a great time and the tactic worked very well.
Tojja

Postby Joel on Tue 9/Oct/07 8:47am

Well there is a bit on this weekend, the handicap interclub racing on saturday (wairapa) and the Waikane funride on sunday.

personally i am heading up to Hawkes Bay for the Ramblers Tour of the bay 110K event on sunday... did it two years ago and really enjoyed the course and the weather! making a long weekend of it.
Joel
"Style over speed"
Member for: 18 years 3 months

Postby SteveC on Fri 12/Oct/07 11:32am

The 4th round of the Wellington interclub series is hosted by PNP this Saturday on a 12km circuit at Carrington. The event is also the Kevin Smith Memorial race which means that the first veteran on handicap will take away the Kevin Smith Trophy.

We'll be doing 5 laps for 60km. Its handicap racing. The entry is $5 for members of any of the Welly Clubs and $10 for visitors.

Full details here http://www.pnp.org.nz/news/club/2007-10-10/
SteveC

Postby Tojja on Fri 12/Oct/07 11:57am

Hi Steve, I'm keen - what is the course like?
Tojja

Postby SteveC on Fri 12/Oct/07 1:59pm

Tojja wrote: Hi Steve, I'm keen - what is the course like?

From the start heading north there is false flat for 4km to a left turn at the base of a short climb (500m long, 60m vertical) from the top of the climb it is a gentle decent heading south for 5km, typically pretty fast with a tail wind, then another couple of lefts and 3km heading north to the start/finish. The northerly sections are generally against the prevailing winds.

More often than not graded races on this course come down to a sprint finish. There will be attacks on the little hill but most fatties will be able to chase back on over the top.
SteveC

Postby Joel on Mon 15/Oct/07 9:59am

Great weekend up in the Hawkes Bay, saturday was light winds and 24 degrees.. awesome. made the trip worthwhile. The riding, well for me it was pretty poor.

The strong winds turned up sunday as forecast (at least it was warm though), and it was suprising to see the bunch of 80 odd hold together through the cross winds untill the major climb (50minutes in) of the Tour of Bay. Craig Lawn slipped off the front with Mike Milne 5 min before the main climb.. and the pace went on.. i felt good on the climb and crested in the lead group of about 10 riders quite easily in around 4-5, Mike Milne unfortunately suffered keeping up with Craig Lawn and slipped back at the half way point of the cimb.

I looked around and saw Malcom Perry in the group as well, for the next 20-30minutes it was undulating with a few guys more interested in bridging accross than actually work together to catch Craig lawn, i was still feeling good at this point.

/excuses on/
Around the 1:30-40 mark i got a couple of stomach cramp but legs felt good so thought nothing of it (although there was upset tum's with my son last couple of days, i had just shook off a bug on saturday morning... )
/excuses off/

We batteld through a section of heinous cross winds which split the lead group up about, then battled to re-group.. got back together but i had completely lost power in the legs at the 2hr mark and just pulled to one side of the group.. had to wave them past. Malcom Perry was still looking pretty strong at that point, and i think Steve Pyne was in the group as well.

I just eased it off and tried to see if i get some power into the legs.. not feeling good.. considering still over an hour to get back to hastings... second bunch rolled through and tucked in. but legs could still not handle the pace and had to let them go. By this point i was feeling distinctly depressed.

Third bunch of about 20 riders rolled through and the pace was distinctly sunday ride pace.. so easy to sit in.. felt a bit better about 20minutes later and got bored so just slipped off the front to see if i can provoke them to chase me with still 40-50min to Hastings. But much to my suprise they let me get about 50 seconds on them before they got organised, and i just kept it in tempo HR (although legs hurt like i was riding threshold.. not a good sign). managed to make it to the finish and put in a ironic sprint ;) was tempted to put the arms in the air but thought better of it :p .. and they crossed just behind me as i had eased off in last 3-4 Km as feeling a bit green. and then tried to not to throw up just after i crossed the line.!

in hindsight there where a couple of signs the day before that i should have realised did not bode well for sunday and should have not got on the bike but hindsight is always 20/20. :paranoid:

it's a great course (when it's not blowing like a bastard that is.) and you can't bet the hawkes bay for the climate and laid back cruising for a weekend. recommend it. :thumbsup:
Joel
"Style over speed"
Member for: 18 years 3 months

Postby sifter on Mon 22/Oct/07 10:05am

Two up time trial next weekend in Mangaroa? Anyone keen for a hard-working partner? I'm nice and wide too ;)
sifter
Member for: 16 years 8 months

Postby sifter on Tue 23/Oct/07 9:38am

sifter wrote: Two up time trial next weekend in Mangaroa? Anyone keen for a hard-working partner? I'm nice and wide too ;)

anyone?
sifter
Member for: 16 years 8 months

Postby Oli on Tue 23/Oct/07 9:41am

:D

They're all AFRAID!
Oli
Member for: 14 years 11 months

Cycling | Lower North Island | New Zealand | Regions | Road Cycling | Road Racing | Wellington | Wellington Region - Latest Posts