Postby Joel on Mon 24/Sep/07 9:24am

how was the napier / taupo classic?
Joel
"Style over speed"
Member for: 17 years 6 months

Postby thekiwi on Mon 24/Sep/07 11:34am

Joel wrote: how was the napier / taupo classic?

http://www.ramblers.co.nz/club_results/ ... asp?id=377

Taupo to Napier Open Classic Road Race
22/09/2007

A grade Open (140km):
Aaron Strong (3:35:47) 1; Jeremy Yates (3:36:55) 2; Shem Rodger (3:40:41) 3; Logan Hunn st 4; Silas Cullen st 5; Eric Drower st 6; Craig Lawn st 7; Wade Mangham (U19) (3:42:00) 8; Jonathan Coates st (U19) 9; Will Alexander (3:42:38) 10; Aaron Andersen st 11; Ryan Wills st 12; Brett Tivers st 13; Josh Brown st (U19) 14; Geoff Gates st (U19) 15; Grant Nicoll (3:43:09) 16; Sam King-Turner (3:46:58) 17; Greg Freemantle st 18; Dan Warren (3:48:47) 19; Wayne McConachy st 20; Winston Briggs (3:49:47) 21; Joe Crooks st 22; Saul Webb st 23; Simon Honour st (U 19) 24; Brock Roberts (3:53:51) 25; Simon Brown (3:57:51) 26; Doug McIntosh (3:58:18) 27; Scott Green (U19) (4:00:08) 28; Gaina Peterson st 29; William Harris st 30; Wayne Mote st 31; Craig Hitchcock (4:35:44) 32; Steve Hong st 33; Sheldon Gorter 34.

B grade Vet & Women (140km):
Kerry Harford (3:53:38) 1; Scot Arderen st 2; Richard Brough st 3; Malcom Allen st 4; Andrew Townsend st 5; Carl Jones st 6; Jason Kelly st 7; Pat Johnson st 8; Mark Coombe (3:54:24) 9; Steve Chapman st 10; Kevin Strongman st 11; Darryl Strachan st 12; Kevin Burgess st 13; Allan Black st 14; Brian McGovern st 15; Ben Knight (3:58:09) 16; Bret Harte (3:59:00) 17; Mark August (4:00:03) 18; Lincoln Jackson (4:01:58) 19; Clarke Demchy (4:02:23) 20; Jason Fraser (4:03:47) 21; Paul Bishop (4:04:47) 22; Andrew Spence st 23; Tara Allerton (First Woman) (4:08:51) 24; Richard Mills (4:12:18) 25; Trevor MacDonald (4:13:18) 26; John Gray st 27; Ken Tunnicliff (4:15:08) 28; David Youngquest st 29; Chris Johnstone (4:31:36) 30; Nigel Elder st 31; Ivan Smart (4:39:44) 32; Mirjam Besamusca (Second Woman) (4:44:20) 33; Perry Laurent (4:49:30) 34.

Taupo to Napier Open Race Summary
Winners are grinners, especially in the case of the victorious Aaron Strong who not only went home to Auckland with the silverwork, but also claimed a major part of the generous prize money. This year’s 18th Taupo to Napier Classic Open Road Race sponsors: Cranked Cycles, Bluewater Hotel, Subway and Eurocity put together a lucrative package that lured some of New Zealand’s best cyclists to the start line.

As the B grade bunch left 15 mins before the 'Open race' from the shores of Lake Taupo, the overall trophy for 'line honours' could be won by any of these handicapped riders. But, after a long hard ride the leading Open duo of Aaron Strong and Jeremy Yates caught up with the B grade leaders east of Te Pohue.

As soon as they caught this bunch, Strong, a personal cycling coach from Auckland started a series of attacks coming into Eskdale valley. But Yates and his B grade companions, Malcolm Allan, Andrew Townsend, Carl Jones, Kerry Harford, Jason Kelly, Pat Johnson, Richard Brough and Scott Arderen would hunt him down each time. After just missing out to Kerry Harford in last year’s race, Strong was not going to make the same mistake twice. He went solo up the road one more time and forced the decisive winning break. Yates tried valiantly to bridge the gap, but did not have the legs left after one hundred forty gruelling kilometres and had to settle for second place.

The race for the B grade title ended in a bunch sprint which was won by last years overall winner Kerry Harford, ahead of Scott Arderen and Richard Brough.

All of this years finishers agreed that the event deserves to be called a Spring Classic. This course has all the makings of a great cycle race; long hard climbs, technical descents and energy sapping flats leading to the finish line on the shores of Napier. Only the best rider in the race will ever claim the title as there is nowhere to hide in the hills between Taupo and Napier. Next year, this race will be part of an eleven race national points series run by Cycling New Zealand together with the events managers.
thekiwi
"A bad day of riding beats a good day at the office"
Member for: 14 years 9 months

Postby Joel on Mon 24/Sep/07 11:55am

thanks for that ;) will have to make a point of getting to this race at some point as it does sound pretty cool
Joel
"Style over speed"

Postby SteveC on Mon 24/Sep/07 2:04pm

Excellent race, warm but wet for the first hour. The hills are endless and the decents are long and straight - definitely not technical. I had put a 25-12 cluster on to save my legs on the climbs but I should have swapped the 12 for an 11 so I could get a little extra 'grin' factor on those decents.

In the B grade, Jocko Fraser launched Malcolm Allen off the front at about the 30km mark and Malcolm built up a max lead of 4mins.We let the Ramblers riders set the pace from then on, its not on to chase down a mate. Malcolm went over all of the climbs at the front, taking KOM pts and was only caught at the summit of the final climb. Pretty good strategy really, allowing him to climb at his own speed. I hung in with the chase group which was reduced from 40 to 10 as the pressure went on halfway up the first major climb. I lost contact myself 200m from the top of that first major climb but scrambled back on. Halfway up the next climb the pressure went on again and there were a few of us spat out in ones and twos. I passed the top of that final climb alone and rode by myself for 10k until Aaron Strong and Jeremy Yates came past with a couple of B-graders in tow, I jumped on the train but Strong and Yates dropped us all on the next minor climb about 1km later. A similar thing happened when the duo passed the leading B grade group which consisted of a Ramblers quartet and the finally caught Malcolm Allen. Every time Strong and Yates tried to escape the B graders would chase them down - suffering in the process. Eventually Strong got away and the others told Yates to go as well because they were all in the hurt box with the constant attacks. Pat Johnstone had been dropped on the final major climb and had ridden for the best part of 30km alone eventually catching the leading B graders who slowed playing silly buggers in preparation for the final sprint - bloody impressive effort on Pat's part. I finished in 10th place 1 min back from the front of the B grade race. The prizes were pretty good, paying down to 15th place, I got $60 for 10th place, Malcolm took home ~$300 for the KOM points and 4th place overall.
SteveC

Postby thekiwi on Mon 24/Sep/07 5:08pm

SteveC wrote:
In the B grade, Jocko Fraser launched Malcolm Allen off the front at about the 30km mark and Malcolm built up a max lead of 4mins.We let the Ramblers riders set the pace from then on, its not on to chase down a mate. Malcolm went over all of the climbs at the front, taking KOM pts and was only caught at the summit of the final climb. Pretty good strategy really, allowing him to climb at his own speed. I hung in with the chase group which was reduced from 40 to 10 as the pressure went on halfway up the first major climb. I lost contact myself 200m from the top of that first major climb but scrambled back on. Halfway up the next climb the pressure went on again and there were a few of us spat out in ones and twos. I passed the top of that final climb alone and rode by myself for 10k until Aaron Strong and Jeremy Yates came past with a couple of B-graders in tow, I jumped on the train but Strong and Yates dropped us all on the next minor climb about 1km later. A similar thing happened when the duo passed the leading B grade group which consisted of a Ramblers quartet and the finally caught Malcolm Allen. Every time Strong and Yates tried to escape the B graders would chase them down - suffering in the process. Eventually Strong got away and the others told Yates to go as well because they were all in the hurt box with the constant attacks. Pat Johnstone had been dropped on the final major climb and had ridden for the best part of 30km alone eventually catching the leading B graders who slowed playing silly buggers in preparation for the final sprint - bloody impressive effort on Pat's part. I finished in 10th place 1 min back from the front of the B grade race. The prizes were pretty good, paying down to 15th place, I got $60 for 10th place, Malcolm took home ~$300 for the KOM points and 4th place overall.

Good ride ... looks like you finished with Kevin ... who is riding well at the moment.
thekiwi
"A bad day of riding beats a good day at the office"

Postby Joel on Wed 3/Oct/07 9:11am

well there are a couple of things on this weekend in the wellington region, saturday is the last of the interclub races (age grades) in the wairapa..

3 laps of the miller (not sure thats the right spelling) circuit which should hurt given the power climb 3/4 of the way through each lap! don't need a crystal ball to realise thats where the selections will happen i reckon.

bugger i can't make it, i have to make do with the "fun ride" on sunday around lake wairapa that is put on by the vets. It is always good fun though.
Joel
"Style over speed"

Postby sifter on Wed 3/Oct/07 9:41am

I'm keen to race on Saturday, but not if it means joing a club for the rest of the year for the full fee. Anyone know if they'll turn me away. My reading of the website says yes! :(
sifter
Member for: 15 years 11 months

Postby Joel on Wed 3/Oct/07 9:55am

sifter wrote: I'm keen to race on Saturday, but not if it means joing a club for the rest of the year for the full fee. Anyone know if they'll turn me away. My reading of the website says yes! :(

PNP website wrote:2. CENTRE LICENCE $55
These licences can be used in the riders own club, inter-club events, Open Events within the riders own Centre, and Centre Championships, but exclude National Championships.

so looks like you need a centre license. and yes my understanding is you pay the full license fee regardles of the time in the calendar year you join.

SteveC to confirm?
Joel
"Style over speed"

Postby SteveC on Wed 3/Oct/07 10:14am

Joel wrote:
sifter wrote: I'm keen to race on Saturday, but not if it means joing a club for the rest of the year for the full fee. Anyone know if they'll turn me away. My reading of the website says yes! :(

PNP website wrote:2. CENTRE LICENCE $55
These licences can be used in the riders own club, inter-club events, Open Events within the riders own Centre, and Centre Championships, but exclude National Championships.

so looks like you need a centre license. and yes my understanding is you pay the full license fee regardles of the time in the calendar year you join.

SteveC to confirm?

You only need to have a club licence which costs $40 and will let you race in the final round of the Centre Series this Saturday, plus the interclub next Saturday and all of the other PNP races upto the end of the year - there are another 8 races after the interclub including 2 x criteriums, Individual TT, 2upTT, 4upTT, hill climb TT, flat road race around the lake, hilly road race - Rice Mtn Classic.

Or you could save $10 and just enter the 'fun' ride around the lake on Sunday for $30.

Seems to be a pretty simple choice to me.

BTW Joel it might be a better idea to do the race on Saturday rather that the 'fun' ride on Sunday, if you have to choose between the 2 - I understand the open mens field on Saturday will be pretty strong with Jeremy Yates, Joe Cooper, Ed Crossling, Craig Lawn, Brent Backhouse, Silas Cullen, Dan Waluszewski, Aaron Anderson among others planning to front - you could see how the power based training is going by giving yourself a real challenge.
SteveC

Postby sifter on Wed 3/Oct/07 10:27am

Can I join on the day Steve?
sifter

Postby Joel on Wed 3/Oct/07 10:27am

thats an awesome field! .. those boys would rip my legs off i reckon .. ouch i can feel the pain in the legs just thinking about it!

but no chance of me racing on saturday.. :(
Joel
"Style over speed"

Postby SteveC on Wed 3/Oct/07 10:50am

sifter wrote: Can I join on the day Steve?

Best to print the PNP club and BikeNZ membership forms off -

http://www.pnp.org.nz/downloads/Members ... 2007v3.pdf

fill them in and post it off with a cheque to PNP Cycling Club c/ 6 Florio Terrace, Tawa, Wellington.

Then when you register on the day there will be no problems.

Alternately you could hand them over at rego instead of posting them.
SteveC

Postby Tugboat on Wed 3/Oct/07 2:32pm

I like the email description of the course as "mostly flat" :lol:

That is not an insignificant climb in the middle of each lap (if it's the same loop as the 2-day tour takes before heading off to Admirals) and should weed out the weaker riders well and truly by the end of the race.
Tugboat
"Bringing back the biff"
Member for: 13 years 6 months

Postby Joel on Wed 3/Oct/07 2:38pm

Tugboat wrote: I like the email description of the course as "mostly flat" :lol:

That is not an insignificant climb in the middle of each lap (if it's the same loop as the 2-day tour takes before heading off to Admirals) and should weed out the weaker riders well and truly by the end of the race.

the millar loop was stage 2 on the 2 day tour, without the south extention which was quite hilly.

i prefer to think of it as a power climb ;)
Joel
"Style over speed"

Postby sifter on Wed 3/Oct/07 2:55pm

Joel wrote:
Tugboat wrote: I like the email description of the course as "mostly flat" :lol:

the millar loop was stage 2 on the 2 day tour, without the south extention which was quite hilly.

i prefer to think of it as a power climb ;)

pah, that wasn't a hill. Although I do remember completely running out of steam 150m from the "top"!
sifter

Cycling | Lower North Island | New Zealand | Regions | Road Cycling | Road Racing | Wellington | Wellington Region - Latest Posts