Postby SamultheCamul on Thu 6/Sep/07 9:20am

Tojja wrote: Good point, but they were started in seperate groups so I don't think it is possible to make a call about 1st/2nd - plus there was no overall points, just category points.

So U19s raced a seperate race? now im confused :D
SamultheCamul
Member for: 16 years 7 months

Postby Tojja on Thu 6/Sep/07 9:28am

They were started in seperate groups (as I just wrote) - not sure how that is confusing?

Racers were sent away in the following groups 5 minutes apart, presumably to keep bunch sizes down for safety.

Mens U19 2 Laps 70km
Mens Open / U23 Combined 2 Laps 70km
Mens Master 1/2/3/4 Combined 2 Laps 70km
Tojja
Member for: 14 years 7 months

Postby SamultheCamul on Thu 6/Sep/07 9:44am

Tojja wrote: They were started in seperate groups (as I just wrote) - not sure how that is confusing?

Oh just the results I have, show Dan and Josh both having exactly the same time of 1:52:15, so I assumed they had combined the two races! what are the chances of that happening otherwise!
SamultheCamul
Member for: 16 years 7 months

Postby thekiwi on Thu 6/Sep/07 9:55am

SteveC wrote: Great fun eh!

Results are posted here - http://www.pnp.org.nz/results/road/2007-08-26b/

Also, check out the gallery here for some photos - http://www.kapiticyclingclub.co.nz/

Any interesting race report snippets are welcome - I'll compile them, mix in a few lies and exagerations and post it on the PNP web :D

Steve

THe summary table for the Centre Results has two ECNI titles. So ist ECNI at the top at the moment or WCNI?

Might have to see if we can get down to the Ramblers leg, and a bit more weight to their ranks :)
thekiwi
"A bad day of riding beats a good day at the office"
Member for: 14 years 9 months

Postby SteveC on Thu 6/Sep/07 3:42pm

thekiwi wrote:
THe summary table for the Centre Results has two ECNI titles. So ist ECNI at the top at the moment or WCNI?

Oops - ECNI is on top - pretty obvious by looking at the tally of points for each grade below. I'd fix it by I've just discovered that I have deleted the spreadsheet the results pdf is generated from so the typo will have to stand.
SteveC

Postby SteveC on Thu 6/Sep/07 3:49pm

MotoBouy wrote:
Tojja wrote: They were started in seperate groups (as I just wrote) - not sure how that is confusing?

Oh just the results I have, show Dan and Josh both having exactly the same time of 1:52:15, so I assumed they had combined the two races! what are the chances of that happening otherwise!

The U19 Men grade was only 3 riders so they started with the combined U23/Senior grades, but the results were reported sepatately because that is the agreed format for the 3 round series.

I dont know who won between Josh and Dan - I'll ask Dan when I next see him.
SteveC

Postby Tojja on Thu 6/Sep/07 3:59pm

I t ake it all back then MotoBouy - doh!
Tojja
Member for: 14 years 7 months

Postby Joel on Sun 16/Sep/07 9:23pm

so how was the racing up in the hawkes bay?
Joel
"Style over speed"
Member for: 17 years 7 months

Postby SteveC on Mon 17/Sep/07 9:51am

We got pretty well rolled by Ramblers.

Great weather and excellent course but only 16 Wgtn riders fronted.

In Master1-2 grade Craig Lawn did his usual solo attack on the first climb and cleared out, but this time 6 Ramblers riders formed a controlled chase group (dropping the rest) and kept him in sight until the 3rd lap then reeled him in and monstered him with solo relay attacks. Craig responded to them all and survived to the finish but the effort must have had an impact he got 2nd in the sprint to Kerry Harford.

In my grade, Master3-4, a Ramblers rider rolled off the front in the first 2km (of a 78km race) and I didn't worry too much thinking he wouldn't last. After the first lap (26km) he was still away and out of sight and I started asking about him from the other Ramblers guys and was told it was Bruce Galloway who had ridden off the front of their club champs the week before to win by a huge margin. Oops!! The penny dropped now that we had been set up. The pace hadn't been too hard in that first lap except when I increased the tempo a little on the climb and Kirky pushed it a little on the decent, on reflection the Ramblers guys were happy to keep it steady so Bruce could clear out (although it sounds like he was strong enough regardless). Knowing the horse had well and truly bolted I started attacking on the flat but was covered each time by Ramblers riders. At Kirky's suggestion I took some recovery time on the first part of the climb on the second lap while he and Craig Peach kept the pace up and then I attacked 1km from the top going clear by about 300m. Not enough with the decent though and I was reeled in without too much difficulty by the ramblers train. I started to realise that an escape wasn't going to happen and we were now racing for 2nd place - you only have so many efforts in the legs and I had nearly used up all mine for this race. I didn't attack on the final climb thinking I would have a better chance on the final sprint if I saved it. 1km before the finish was a little kicker of a hill - 5 of us attacked the hill to set up for the sprint. I started cramping (first time I've had cramp in 5yrs) and couldn't keep it going having to settle for 6th - bummer.

Pretty negative racing - similar tactics to those I'd used myself in the first race or the series, but its a team sport and Ramblers showed us how to play.
SteveC

Postby Joel on Mon 17/Sep/07 9:57am

bugger..but hard to combat with only a couple of PNP riders.. how did senior men go?
Joel
"Style over speed"

Postby SteveC on Thu 20/Sep/07 10:41pm

I'm off to the Rambler's Taupo/Napier Classic on Saturday - 140km with some decent climbs and the last 50km all down hill. Any other starters?

http://www.ramblers.co.nz/TaupoNapier/default.asp
SteveC

Postby SteveC on Thu 20/Sep/07 10:48pm

Wellington Centre Interclub Series – Race #2 at Kahutara hosted by Wellington Veterans Cycling Club on Sunday 23 September. Its a 54km handicap race starting at the Kahutara School, Kahutara Road, Featherston and is on a circuit through Martinborough

Details here

http://www.pnp.org.nz/news/club/2007-09-19/
SteveC

Postby Stumpy on Fri 21/Sep/07 7:56am

SteveC wrote: I'm off to the Rambler's Taupo/Napier Classic on Saturday - 140km with some decent climbs and the last 50km all down hill. Any other starters?

yup, looks like it will be a wet one too with a nice headwind :hmmm:
Stumpy
Member for: 13 years 5 months

Postby Joel on Fri 21/Sep/07 9:05am

SteveC wrote: I'm off to the Rambler's Taupo/Napier Classic on Saturday - 140km with some decent climbs and the last 50km all down hill. Any other starters?

Good luck steve, look forward to a race report.!
Joel
"Style over speed"

Postby SteveC on Mon 24/Sep/07 9:15am

SteveC wrote: Wellington Centre Interclub Series – Race #2 at Kahutara hosted by Wellington Veterans Cycling Club on Sunday 23 September. Its a 54km handicap race starting at the Kahutara School, Kahutara Road, Featherston and is on a circuit through Martinborough

Great conditions for racing on a fast circuit, unfortunately the turnout was a little low with only 60 riders fronting. Perhaps a new cafe has opened in Wgtn or the race scheduling is interrupting people's training schedules :D

Results posted here http://www.pnp.org.nz/results/road/2007-09-23/
SteveC

Cycling | Lower North Island | New Zealand | Regions | Road Cycling | Road Racing | Wellington | Wellington Region - Latest Posts