Postby Joel on Tue 28/Aug/07 8:08pm

bit dissappointed i can't make it, as it's the first decent distance race in the wellington region for the season.. should be fun.! i look forward to reading the race report.. :thumbsup:
Joel
"Style over speed"
Member for: 17 years 7 months

Postby Joel on Thu 30/Aug/07 8:10pm

this thread has been a bit quiet! who is heading up? Tojja, noodle? steveC you making an appearance?
Joel
"Style over speed"

Postby SteveC on Thu 30/Aug/07 11:31pm

You may not have noticed but if there is a race on the calendar then I will be there. ITT, TTT, handicap, graded, hilly, flat, circuit, outandback, pointtopoint, windy, cold, wet, hot,.... it doesn't matter to me what the format or conditions are, or who the competition is, its a weekend sport and every weekend in the season I race. At the very least it is the best training you can get. I think you're short changing yourself by cherry picking the races that suit your strengths alone.

Of course I'm lucky to have a son with the same attitude so to my wife tolerates the time away as good healthy family time :)
SteveC
Member for: 14 years 9 months

Postby Joel on Fri 31/Aug/07 9:29am

SteveC wrote: You may not have noticed but if there is a race on the calendar then I will be there. ITT, TTT, handicap, graded, hilly, flat, circuit, outandback, pointtopoint, windy, cold, wet, hot,.... it doesn't matter to me what the format or conditions are, or who the competition is, its a weekend sport and every weekend in the season I race. At the very least it is the best training you can get. I think you're short changing yourself by cherry picking the races that suit your strengths alone.

Of course I'm lucky to have a son with the same attitude so to my wife tolerates the time away as good healthy family time :)

LOL very true, i just love racing.. my problem is getting the pass out as son is a bit too young yet (just over 2 years ;)
Joel
"Style over speed"

Postby noodles on Fri 31/Aug/07 11:04am

Being my first 'season' of racing I think I'm catching the bug. But in saying that it's not looking like I can afford the time on Saturday to get up to Ashurst :( Unless things change dramatically between now and later tonight.

I may have to look to the Hawkes Bay event...... I'm sure I can convince the wife of a night/weekend away :paranoid:

If I don't make it tomorrow - Good luck Steve, I'm sure you'll kick arse!
noodles
Member for: 13 years 7 months

Postby Tojja on Fri 31/Aug/07 2:01pm

"Good luck Steve, I'm sure you'll kick arse!"

Pending a galeforce storm I should be there also, to ensure there is more than one PNP member delivering said ass kicking...

Steve, given this is an interclub race, are team tactics allowed/encouraged or is it every man for himself?
Tojja
Member for: 14 years 7 months

Postby SteveC on Fri 31/Aug/07 6:00pm

Tojja wrote: Steve, given this is an interclub race, are team tactics allowed/encouraged or is it every man for himself?

Absolutely, although it is pretty tough getting organised as a team. The best idea is to work together when necessary e.g. if a team mate goes up the road, dont chase him down, rather cover any chase from other riders, this means sitting on their wheel and not necessarily rolling thru, or if you do roll thru go hard and then sit up to break the rhythm of the chase. Alternately if a breakaway doesn't include a teammate and it looks like it could be a race winning break then it would be good for all but the teammate with the best chance of winning to work together in the chase, let the best rider save his energy for the final bridge to the break so he is in with a chance to win. If it comes down to a sprint then the team should have decided in advance who has the best chance at the finish and the others should give him a lead out. Be aware that the final 2k includes a fast decent and then a couple of left hand turns then ~500m to the finish, so the first rider into the final turn is likely to win the sprint (as long as it isn't a strong head wind).
SteveC

Postby Tojja on Mon 3/Sep/07 9:40am

Well *that* was a day racing. My legs are still burning.

At sign-in I searched fruitlessly for a Senior Men category before it dawned on me what Joel had been going on about all week - the only group for 30 year olds was Open Men. My legs were sore in anticipation!

U23 and Open started together, and the bunch was around 20 people, perhaps a few more.

From the start, it was all on. Dan W and two other very fast guys jumped off the front in the first 1km, and that was the last we saw of them. The rest of the group consisted of about 1/3rd hard workers, and 2/3rd klingons, as is typical (and don't get me wrong, the klingons were probably the smarter riders...).

Another 3 or 4 riders broke off early in the piece, and a group of half a dozen riders (Chapman Jnr, Pyne, myself, the big powerhouse sponsored by Upper Hutt Cycles and a Ramblers guy - with a few other's on occassion) worked very hard at the front for 30-odd km to catch them, eventually doing so in the second lap.

These half dozen riders really buried themselves legends - at times I has to sit in to recover between strong pulls that nudged 50kmh, but they kept the workrate up pretty much non-stop.

The hill at 10km wasn't as bad as I was expecting - the first 400m kicker was nasty but could be muscled over in a minute or so, and the second 1km stretch was over in less than 4 minutes, so no real platform for the weenies to get an advantage from.

In the last 5km before the final descent back to Ashurst there is a long shallow climb that just kills the legs - it must be only like 3-4%, but was big-ringed out of the saddle both laps and it goes on for far too long for that kind of effort! On this last rise, 3 or 4 riders popped off the front again, and it was all I could do to hold on to Steve Pyne's wheel. Turns out that working up front earlier wasn't the tactically smartest thing to do, but sometimes you just want a good workout :P

As we approached the crest I was yelling out to everyone to keep our speed over the top and to share the lead to try and catch them - but looked back to find no-one in sight but Steve, myself and two others - the bunch had blown to pieces. We worked hard together but the 4 of them were strong and had timed things well, creating an unassailable lead with 3km to go.

With about 2km to go I remembered Steve C's advice that we needed to think about club points. With three PNP members and 1 non-member in our group, things looked good for PNP getting a few more points, we just need to sort things out amongst ourselves.

Tip for people: When you say "you wanna lead out? - you'll owe me" to a fellow club member when you are both completely stuffed and travelling at 50kmh, it can be interpretted two ways:
1. Do you want to lead me out? You owe me...
2. Do you want to be led out? You'll owe me...

A subtle but significant difference! After Steve's hard work earlier I was being nice and meant the latter, but Steve was trying to out-nice me, and interpretted the former. He promptly (and unexpectedly) jumped and it was about 5 seconds before I realised what had happened and tried to bridge and latch on (in vain). Instead, I managed to provide a superb lead-out for the non-PNP guy who took us both on the line, with Steve close behind him.

Bugger!

In the end, the pace (in terms of average power) was actually as hard if not harder than most of the BP races, so there went my hopes of longer/flatter races being easier! Depending on how many U23's were in the front breakaway groups, we may have scraped in top 10 (no results up yet), but regardless of final position it was a great day of racing.
Tojja

Postby Joel on Mon 3/Sep/07 10:20am

Tojja wrote:A subtle but significant difference! After Steve's hard work earlier I was being nice and meant the latter, but Steve was trying to out-nice me, and interpretted the former. He promptly (and unexpectedly) jumped and it was about 5 seconds before I realised what had happened and tried to bridge and latch on (in vain). Instead, I managed to provide a superb lead-out for the non-PNP guy who took us both on the line, with Steve close behind him.

Bugger!

In the end, the pace (in terms of average power) was actually as hard if not harder than most of the BP races, so there went my hopes of longer/flatter races being easier! Depending on how many U23's were in the front breakaway groups, we may have scraped in top 10 (no results up yet), but regardless of final position it was a great day of racing.

love it ;)

on the tactics of the final sprint, another way to approach it may have been to let steve go, forcing the non PNP rider to put the effort in if he wants to bridge.. and you latch onto his wheel.
Worst case scenario he doesn't.. then Steve is clear regardless. But hard to think like that when you deep into oxygen debt :D
Joel
"Style over speed"

Postby Tojja on Mon 3/Sep/07 11:33am

Joel wrote:
Tojja wrote:A subtle but significant difference! After Steve's hard work earlier I was being nice and meant the latter, but Steve was trying to out-nice me, and interpretted the former. He promptly (and unexpectedly) jumped and it was about 5 seconds before I realised what had happened and tried to bridge and latch on (in vain). Instead, I managed to provide a superb lead-out for the non-PNP guy who took us both on the line, with Steve close behind him.

Bugger!

love it ;)

on the tactics of the final sprint, another way to approach it may have been to let steve go, forcing the non PNP rider to put the effort in if he wants to bridge.. and you latch onto his wheel.
Worst case scenario he doesn't.. then Steve is clear regardless. But hard to think like that when you deep into oxygen debt :D
Good call, but as you say I was deep in oxygen/glycogen/everythin' debt and was a spur of the moment decision.

I also overestimated the amount left in the sprint tank, thinking I could catch Steve's wheel, but as that never happened it was a nice platform for non-PNP rider.

Definitely good things to learn in the races that don't count!
Tojja

Postby SteveC on Mon 3/Sep/07 5:24pm

I've just put the results up here http://www.pnp.org.nz/results/road/2007-09-03/

I stole your race report Tijs - hope you dont mind (made some small edits), also added a report of my own from the masters grade race.
SteveC

Postby Tojja on Tue 4/Sep/07 1:24pm

No worries Steve - and it seems that looking at the results that there wasn't as many people up the road as I thought, so feel better about that!

Last name is Robinson, BTW (it is usually "Tijs" that people have issues with!)
Tojja

Postby SteveC on Tue 4/Sep/07 11:22pm

Tojja wrote: Last name is Robinson, BTW (it is usually "Tijs" that people have issues with!)

:blush: Sorry mate - all sorted now.
SteveC

Postby SamultheCamul on Wed 5/Sep/07 6:52pm

Who won out of Dan and Josh Brown?
They are U19 and U23 so sounds their placings are given seperately.
Pretty weak turnout from the Palmy boys, would have expected much better!
SamultheCamul
Member for: 16 years 7 months

Postby Tojja on Thu 6/Sep/07 9:17am

Good point, but they were started in seperate groups so I don't think it is possible to make a call about 1st/2nd - plus there was no overall points, just category points.
Tojja

Cycling | Lower North Island | New Zealand | Regions | Road Cycling | Road Racing | Wellington | Wellington Region - Latest Posts