Re: Wellington (road) Racing Thread

Postby Derryn Hinch on Mon 25/Feb/13 11:14am

Joel wrote:Great race, that is a very cool course. Thanks to PNP to putting it on.

:withstupid:
Derryn Hinch
User avatarMedal
"....... but I never called her fat!!!"
Member for: 8 years 6 months

Postby kookaburra on Sun 17/Mar/13 6:05pm

A good hit out at the Kapiti Cycle Challenge this morning.
Improved my one and only previous attempt (2009) by over 25 minutes so I'm happy. :)
Although this year was on a carbon road bike and my last time was on a alloy hybrid bike.
I did not witness any carnage but certainly passed a lot on my way around the course.
There must have been a fair few DNF's.
Hope all those caught up in the carnage heal quickly.

Thanks to Kapiti Cycling Club and sponsors.
kookaburra
Member for: 7 years 0 months

Postby nzmatto on Sun 17/Mar/13 8:18pm

Still catching up with all the carnage, but at this stage I think everyone is out of hospital. We sure did our bit in keeping the local A&E staff employed today. I hope everyone heals well.
There's a ton of photo's on the KCC facebook page here:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 389&type=1
nzmatto
"Cycling changed my life."
Member for: 9 years 2 months

Postby Flynnster on Sun 17/Mar/13 9:02pm

nzmatto wrote:Still catching up with all the carnage, but at this stage I think everyone is out of hospital. We sure did our bit in keeping the local A&E staff employed today. I hope everyone heals well.
There's a ton of photo's on the KCC facebook page here:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 389&type=1

nothing major I hope? I heard a few horror stories.
=
Flynnster
"descending like my grandmother on a 70’s chopper"
Member for: 9 years 1 month

Postby Fraser on Tue 19/Mar/13 2:41am

Well this ain't the best example of cycling is it.. I am sure there are more experienced roadies who could ellaborate on the dynamics of the TWO crashes.

But to the average punter this doesn't make the argument that cars are the only reason that cyclists are injured on the roads in NZ. Especially when they close the route for cyclists to ride on SH1 and this shit happens....
Fraser
Member for: 15 years 9 months

Postby Joel on Tue 19/Mar/13 8:09am

to me, (and i was not there), but seemed from the footage that both crashes simply caused by LARGE bunch of riders on the ride of varying degrees of experience and fitness with a it frequently 3-4 or even 5 abreast.

When you have one on the outside swerve or brake due to a perceived risk.. then it ripples through the bunch until someone not paying attention is caught out.

that first crash was caused by someone swerving in or braking ahead of the camera point.

couple of possible ways around it, enforce a double paceline rule only until base of paekak.. so no 3-4 abreast (which is when a lot of crashs occur in fun rides), or release smaller waves of riders based on grading.

as a rider, best to combat that type of accident is to be in the front 10-15 riders of the bunch.
Joel
"Style over speed"
Member for: 15 years 7 months

Postby Joel on Tue 19/Mar/13 8:09am

to me, (and i was not there), but seemed from the footage that both crashes simply caused by LARGE bunch of riders on the ride of varying degrees of experience and fitness with a it frequently 3-4 or even 5 abreast.

When you have one on the outside swerve or brake due to a perceived risk.. then it ripples through the bunch until someone not paying attention is caught out.

that first crash was caused by someone swerving in or braking ahead of the camera point.

couple of possible ways around it, enforce a double paceline rule only until base of paekak.. so no 3-4 abreast (which is when a lot of crashs occur in fun rides), or release smaller waves of riders based on grading.

as a rider, best way to combat that type of accident is to be in the front 10-15 riders of the bunch.
Joel
"Style over speed"

Postby cruiser on Tue 19/Mar/13 9:14am

Some riders seemed oblivious to the concept there were big hunks of metal travelling 100km/h near their race track. The race rules are too soft and too open for personal interpretation, in my opinion.

"You are totally responsible for your own safety during the ride!
As we are using public roads ALL normal road rules must be obeyed
Strict policing of these will be carried out and enforced
You will be riding on three major state highways, so extra care is required
Be careful at intersections
KEEP LEFT at all times
No Tandems allowed sorry"
cruiser
Member for: 8 years 10 months

Postby Fraser on Wed 20/Mar/13 1:56am

Well this doesn't make road riding any more appealing. I know alot of people like road racing because they can play games in the bunch and the art of sifting. But it ain't a good advert for cycling is it.
What do they say at the briefing or start of the race?
Fraser
Member for: 15 years 9 months

Postby cruiser on Wed 20/Mar/13 9:47am

In this context, Joel's dbl paceline idea makes sense considering the type of rider this event attracts.

Crash at 4:20 is so sketchy! can see was probably caused by yellow-line hugger avoiding a close call with campervan - could've been a disaster if tumbled into oncoming lane. "All road rules obeyed" though...
cruiser
Member for: 8 years 10 months

Postby nzmatto on Wed 20/Mar/13 9:09pm

I like the idea of the double paceline and will pass that on to the team. There has been a suggestion of splitting the ride to 2-3 bunches, perhaps those more at the sharp race end away first and those out for a fun ride 15 minutes later??? Hard to know how to do the split though???

I'm happy to take any ideas / recommendations back to the team. I'm only a member of them, not a decision maker, but all feedback on how to improve safety for future races is most certainly welcome, and desired.

Ta Matt
nzmatto
"Cycling changed my life."
Member for: 9 years 2 months

Postby znomit on Wed 20/Mar/13 9:17pm

How about you identify the worst of the idiots in Frasers video and tell them to fuck off.
znomit
Member for: 9 years 4 months

Postby Tugboat on Wed 20/Mar/13 9:37pm

I don't think I've ever seen a "bunch" as loose as that lot. :crazy:
Tugboat
"Bringing back the biff"
Member for: 11 years 6 months

Postby Joel on Wed 20/Mar/13 9:41pm

to be fair, i have been in worse bunches.. over the white and yellow lines even under the threat of DQ.

get people on the road on a bike in an event, and sanity seems to disappear.
Joel
"Style over speed"

Postby jo on Wed 20/Mar/13 9:50pm

Ta for the video.
:crazy:

Remind me never to enter a "fun ride". JIC i forget.
jo
"Windy"
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Cycling | Lower North Island | New Zealand | Regions | Road Cycling | Road Racing | Wellington | Wellington Region - Latest Posts