Postby SteveC on Thu 23/Aug/07 4:21pm

I expect the numbers will be less than the BP series - people tend to dislike driving out of town. My guess is 80 vs the 120 of the BP#4 race.

There will be a lot more Kapiti people however and there will be all the riders who love the idea of a flatland race.
SteveC
Member for: 14 years 9 months

Postby sifter on Thu 23/Aug/07 4:22pm

SteveC wrote: riders who love the idea of a flatland race.

what the hell?! Who are these strange folk...? :eh:
sifter
Member for: 15 years 11 months

Postby Conners on Thu 23/Aug/07 4:40pm

:pmob: Possibly down a few more because of the clash with PNP MTB series race on Sunday too?
(well - that's my excuse!)
Conners
User avatarMedal
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 16 years 3 months

Postby Joel on Sun 26/Aug/07 7:27pm

Well it was fast and furious in Otaki today, scratch (4 riders) got combined with break (around 20-25 riders). And straight from the gun the pace was on, no mucking around with attacks as soon as the pace showed signs of slowing for the entire duration.

good fun racing though which ended up with a bunch sprint as we caught break 2 (i think) just on the turn to the finish, chaos as scratch\break riders tried to corner at speed around the outside of the bunch.. kept me on my toes.

not sure who finished where in the end, i think i was around 7'th in the end. and tojja crossed right behind me. SteveC was somewhere ahead as he smartly sat on good sprinters wheel and managed to get a good launch from his personal leadout train ;)

good fun though, glad i went up for it!
Joel
"Style over speed"
Member for: 17 years 7 months

Postby SteveC on Sun 26/Aug/07 11:28pm

Great fun eh!

Results are posted here - http://www.pnp.org.nz/results/road/2007-08-26b/

Also, check out the gallery here for some photos - http://www.kapiticyclingclub.co.nz/

Any interesting race report snippets are welcome - I'll compile them, mix in a few lies and exagerations and post it on the PNP web :D
SteveC

Postby Joel on Mon 27/Aug/07 9:11am

thats a great picture on the home page of the kapiti club Steve, looks like paikak?
Joel
"Style over speed"

Postby noodles on Mon 27/Aug/07 11:26am

Sounds like a great race - wish I could have been there but I was killing myself up Makara!

Are there many people doing the centre series race in Ashurst this weekend?
Any info or insights into it?
noodles
Member for: 13 years 7 months

Postby Joel on Mon 27/Aug/07 1:08pm

PNP has a course map and a ride profile, the first climb looks like it steepens up a fair bit?

i am not heading up, would like to but things to be done around the house. i look forward to reading reports!
Joel
"Style over speed"

Postby SteveC on Mon 27/Aug/07 2:30pm

noodles wrote:

Are there many people doing the centre series race in Ashurst this weekend?
Any info or insights into it?

I hope so - it is an inter centre competition and we just got pipped by Ramblers (ECNI) last year, mostly because they had a huge turnout on their round. We want as many riders supporting Wgtn as possible. (In my Vets grade last year there were 4 of us from PNP, 1 from Palmy and 65 from Ramblers - PNP took the first 4 placings but Ramblers still dicked us in series points by earning a point for each rider that finished :cry: )

Its 2 laps of the 35km 2005 nationals course. The course has one good hill (~200m climb) after about 10km where a selection is bound to happen and then a good fast 10km section where the fatties can usually chase back onto the mountain goats. The final 15km section includes some decent rollers with a fast decent back into Ashhurst.

It is age group based in a similar format to nationals. Most of the age groups will be doing 2 laps for 70km, but U17 and below will just do one lap for 35km. Dependent on numbers there is likely to be a few of the age groups riding together.

Its a great opportunity to get out and race on a new course and also to increase your fitness by racing on progressively longer courses. Anyone who plans to go to club road nationals or who wants to do well in the Wgtn/Penny/Wahine cup will be there as part of a build up.

Its a 2hr drive from Wgtn but the start time is 11am (TBC) so you get a better sleep in that usual.

You do need to hold at leasst a club licence to compete.
SteveC

Postby noodles on Mon 27/Aug/07 4:07pm

Thanks Steve,

I'll be doing my best to get there and represent PNP - all going to plan ;)
Just hope I don't get peeled as it'll be my first real road race other than the BP series.

Hope we get a good turn out and thrash the other clubs :D
noodles

Postby Joel on Tue 28/Aug/07 11:13am

noodles wrote: Thanks Steve,

I'll be doing my best to get there and represent PNP - all going to plan ;)
Just hope I don't get peeled as it'll be my first real road race other than the BP series.

Hope we get a good turn out and thrash the other clubs :D

what break where you racing at BP? and what age group do you fit into?
Joel
"Style over speed"

Postby noodles on Tue 28/Aug/07 12:35pm

I was racing Break 2 in the BP series, although I think break 3 might have been more my pace!
I think I'd be in men's open - ouch. I can feel the pain already :crazy:
noodles

Postby Joel on Tue 28/Aug/07 12:53pm

noodles wrote: I was racing Break 2 in the BP series, although I think break 3 might have been more my pace!
I think I'd be in men's open - ouch. I can feel the pain already :crazy:

LOL

yes

will be good for you to see \ feel the pace of an open event though ;)
Joel
"Style over speed"

Postby SteveC on Tue 28/Aug/07 3:41pm

It will be a step up for sure but it is the best way to improve - it is always a surprise how slow and then how fast this kind of race will be, the pace is always changing.

It is not like handicap racing where you should take a turn at the front - in age group racing you can sit on and try to be ready for the attacks that will come. Have realistic goals like surviving the first attack, the first hill, the first lap. Use the experience to learn to read the race, identify the stronger riders and sit on them, identify the riders who are likely to let a gap develop and avoid them, recognise a rider who is going to attack or bridge a gap and get on their wheel to avoid the energy expenditure yourself. See if you can learn how to attack and breakaway by watching those that successfully escape and those that do not. Learn not to cook yourself on the hills - let the faster climbers do their thing while you ride at your own pace trying to stay in a bunch to the top which will be able to chase back on. Learn to get into the corners near the front, especially when there is likely to be crosswinds.....
SteveC

Postby noodles on Tue 28/Aug/07 4:00pm

Have realistic goals like surviving the first attack, the first hill, the first lap. Use the experience to learn to read the race, identify the stronger riders and sit on them, identify the riders who are likely to let a gap develop and avoid them, recognise a rider who is going to attack or bridge a gap and get on their wheel to avoid the energy expenditure yourself. See if you can learn how to attack and breakaway by watching those that successfully escape and those that do not. Learn not to cook yourself on the hills - let the faster climbers do their thing while you ride at your own pace trying to stay in a bunch to the top which will be able to chase back on. Learn to get into the corners near the front, especially when there is likely to be crosswinds.....

You make it sounds like FUN rather than hard work!
I just hope I can make it up there I'm really looking forward to it now :)
noodles

Cycling | Lower North Island | New Zealand | Regions | Road Cycling | Road Racing | Wellington | Wellington Region - Latest Posts