Welding A 6061 Aluminium Frame

Postby strikeanywhere13 on Tue 19/Jul/11 9:02pm

Does anyone know of anybody who does a good job of this in Wellington? I have a small crack on a gusset that I'd like to touch up to get a bit more use out of the frame. If I'm unable to heat-treat it after the welding, the rest of the gusset would be quite weak. I assume it'd still be stronger than its current cracked state.
strikeanywhere13
Member for: 10 years 10 months

Re: Welding A 6061 Aluminium Frame

Postby onyabike on Tue 19/Jul/11 10:02pm

Safeair in Blenheim heat-treated a 6061 swingarm that I had some welding done on.
onyabike
"logging capital of nz"
Member for: 12 years 4 months

Postby SamKnight on Tue 19/Jul/11 10:16pm

Really? i wasn't aware that we had the resources to heat treat ali down in Woodbourne
SamKnight
"Meh"
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Postby Simonius_Titius on Wed 20/Jul/11 2:13am

Is it possible to glue a hunk of aluminium over it?

Cracks can be stopped temporarily by drilling a hole at the ends. Make the hole as big as you can without causing other problems, and drill a tad beyond the point where you are certain you have eliminated the sharp end.

If you left the teeniest bit of microscopic crack beyond the drill hole then the crack will not be stopped though it may slow down for a wee bit.

Keep watching the hole as it will usually crack again eventually and you will need to drill again before it gets far.
Simonius_Titius
"The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off. - Gloria Steinem"
Member for: 8 years 1 month

Postby strikeanywhere13 on Wed 20/Jul/11 8:55pm

I didn't even know this was an option. Unfortunately there's two cracks and they are near identical on each side and run across curved surfaces so it'd be too hard to glue. I've upped a picture showing one side.

I have a couple of mates who work in the aviation industry although it might be too much hassle calling favours and shipping it off to get done etc. I'm just after a quick fix until I find another frame to buy or get enough $ together for a new bike.
strikeanywhere13

Postby dented on Wed 20/Jul/11 9:21pm

HOT GLUE
dented
Member for: 12 years 1 month

Postby strikeanywhere13 on Wed 20/Jul/11 9:37pm

Hot glue is plan B. I'd be able to combine it with macaroni and glitter for extra strength.
strikeanywhere13

Postby slidecontrol on Wed 20/Jul/11 9:40pm

dented wrote:HOT GLUE

c'mon dents, you're a rally type. you should know the correct answer is duct tape.
slidecontrol
"YOLO = carpe diem for idiots"
Member for: 10 years 7 months

Postby Nathan007 on Wed 20/Jul/11 10:38pm

You could try Peter @ P K Stirling in Elsdon, Porirua.
Nathan007
Member for: 10 years 8 months

Bicycle Repair | Cycling | Lower North Island | New Zealand | Regions | Wellington | Wellington Region - Latest Posts