Re: Weight Loss

Postby ArjanH on Sat 18/Jul/09 9:03am

Is there any way to make an excercycle or any piece of excersize equipment more fun?
That stuff is seriously, seriously boring! :(
I find now after just a week of using them that 40 minutes is about it for me ... not because my body can't handle it but because I just get bored!
ArjanH
User avatar
Member for: 9 years 3 months

Re: Weight Loss

Postby ArjanH on Sat 18/Jul/09 9:08am

nzmatto wrote:
happybaboon wrote:I need to fix my diet and fiddle with my excercise again. Mine belly has expanded ever so slightly... Bit worrying 'cos I've continued training. Think I need to up the intensity - and a trip away, followed by a cold/flu with lingering respiratory effects doesn't help.

I'm thinking 1.5hr long rowing workouts might be what is required. And fiddle with the weight routine. And fix the diet. And less beer.


Careful with the rowing workouts. When I was doing 1Hr plus ones I was putting on weight. It seems my expansive belly started moving up onto my chest and arms. The belly got smaller and I put on weight. It is fun though. Another dude I met whose lost heaps of weight recommends really long rides at an average pace. That sounds more like my style now. :)

I can see how too much weight in the upper body would be a problem for somebody who is very competative in cycling, but for me its just about having some fun and getting fitter and healthier. I am sure my wife wouldn't complain about some extra muscle in the shoulder/chest area and a contracting belly. :) :) :)
ArjanH
User avatar
Member for: 9 years 3 months

Re: Weight Loss

Postby bigJIMMY on Sat 18/Jul/09 9:11am

ArjanH wrote:Is there any way to make an excercycle or any piece of excersize equipment more fun?
That stuff is seriously, seriously boring! :(
I find now after just a week of using them that 40 minutes is about it for me ... not because my body can't handle it but because I just get bored!


watch tv? read a book? loud pumping music? all at once?
bigJIMMY
User avatar
"DID SOMEONE SAY ICE CREAM! Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm"
Member for: 12 years 4 months

Re: Weight Loss

Postby Spokes on Sat 18/Jul/09 9:15am

bigJIMMY wrote:
ArjanH wrote:Is there any way to make an excercycle or any piece of excersize equipment more fun?
That stuff is seriously, seriously boring! :(
I find now after just a week of using them that 40 minutes is about it for me ... not because my body can't handle it but because I just get bored!


watch tv? read a book? loud pumping music? all at once?


I hate indoor exercise. Ive got a kick arse trainer that is fluid, gel, wireless, gives me watts, distance etc etc. But I hate it with a passion, its now just a very expensive bike stand.
Spokes
User avatar
""Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."--W.C. Fields"
Member for: 11 years 11 months

Re: Weight Loss

Postby ArjanH on Tue 11/Aug/09 9:37pm

OK ... I think I have a slight problem.

Since my last post in this thread I lost 4 KG very quickly and then things slowed down. Eventually they stopped. I am now riding either on an excercycle or my bike for at least 40 minutes a day but I haven't lost a single gram in about 10 days. Whats going on?
ArjanH
User avatar
Member for: 9 years 3 months

Re: Weight Loss

Postby Monolith on Tue 11/Aug/09 9:40pm

Change what you're eating, and eat less of it. Also, try riding more.
Monolith
User avatar
"Look! I still walk away"
Member for: 11 years 11 months

Re: Weight Loss

Postby ThingOne on Tue 11/Aug/09 9:42pm

Monolith wrote:Change what you're eating, and eat less of it. Also, try riding more.


Amen to that.. Sums up weight loss in one sentence.
ThingOne
User avatar
"www.bushloveracing.com"
Member for: 10 years 7 months

Re: Weight Loss

Postby ArjanH on Wed 12/Aug/09 6:50am

ThingOne wrote:
Monolith wrote:Change what you're eating, and eat less of it. Also, try riding more.


Amen to that.. Sums up weight loss in one sentence.

Great! more sacrifices! ... What should I pick on next? I haven't had a pie in god knows how long and I can't remember last time I got Mackers. I make my own sandwiches for lunch wich tend to be mainly salad with a thin slice of luncheon. I have dropped the snacks in between meals. Weatbix for breakfast and normal dinners of mostly veges and a smallish bit of meat. I am not sure where I can cut out more calories.
ArjanH
User avatar
Member for: 9 years 3 months

Re: Weight Loss

Postby johnL on Wed 12/Aug/09 7:03am

spread the food out -many small meals rather than just three, fat burns in the fire of carbos
johnL
User avatar
"2x Trust House Tour of Wellington Winner, DS Team Cardno"
Member for: 11 years 1 month

Re: Weight Loss

Postby ArjanH on Wed 12/Aug/09 7:28am

johnL wrote:fat burns in the fire of carbos

Sounds quotable! LOL
I haven't got time left at night to ride more so I have decided to go for a 30 minute jog in the morning. Damn I hate running! :(
ArjanH
User avatar
Member for: 9 years 3 months

Re: Weight Loss

Postby nzmatto on Wed 12/Aug/09 7:40am

It's called a plateau. You have a couple of options. Ride it out, or change what you're doing.

Here is an article about it, and this girl know's what she's on about --- she's lost 75kg!!!
http://weight-loss.co.nz/The+Plateau.html

One thing you can also do is actually measure carefully the exact caloric intake you are having. Measure everything you eat and you will find where those extra calories are coming from. In my case I have just ridden out the plateaus and worked a bit harder on getting my intakes right.

Cheers Matt
nzmatto
User avatar
"Cycling changed my life."
Member for: 9 years 2 months

Re: Weight Loss

Postby crazychris on Wed 12/Aug/09 8:23am

it's a plateau, drop your carbs, keep at it. Plus, ride on an empty stomach.
crazychris
User avatar
"Fitness and Fatness, now in equal measures!"
Member for: 11 years 4 months

Re: Weight Loss

Postby ThingOne on Wed 12/Aug/09 8:54am

ArjanH wrote:
ThingOne wrote:
Monolith wrote:Change what you're eating, and eat less of it. Also, try riding more.


Amen to that.. Sums up weight loss in one sentence.

Great! more sacrifices! ... What should I pick on next? I haven't had a pie in god knows how long and I can't remember last time I got Mackers. I make my own sandwiches for lunch wich tend to be mainly salad with a thin slice of luncheon. I have dropped the snacks in between meals. Weatbix for breakfast and normal dinners of mostly veges and a smallish bit of meat. I am not sure where I can cut out more calories.


You would be surprised at where hidden calories can slip in. if your'e anything like me and put on weight really easily I ofton forget about what I eat, little things here and there soon add up things like beer, wine coffee with sugar etc.
From what I see in others and myself (and I dont know you), but people tend to kid themselves about what they are actually eating.
Oh and it takes a long time to drop the weight sustainably.
ThingOne
User avatar
"www.bushloveracing.com"
Member for: 10 years 7 months

Re: Weight Loss

Postby orangecruz on Wed 12/Aug/09 9:07am

its giving up the wine i struggle with
orangecruz
User avatar
Member for: 12 years 5 months

Re: Weight Loss

Postby Oli on Wed 12/Aug/09 9:10am

ThingOne wrote:You would be surprised at where hidden calories can slip in. if your'e anything like me and put on weight really easily I ofton forget about what I eat, little things here and there soon add up things like beer, wine coffee with sugar etc.
From what I see in others and myself (and I dont know you), but people tend to kid themselves about what they are actually eating.
Oh and it takes a long time to drop the weight sustainably.
This sums me up entirely. I often use my riding as an excuse to eat too - "If I just get a good block of riding in all that fat will just peel off!" Bullshit. It takes as much hard work and sacrifice to watch what you eat as it does to get fit on a bike.

Do what I say and not what I do. :p
Oli
User avatar
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Food | Health | Sifting - Latest Posts

Who is online

51 Users browsing this website: AgrAde, DotBot, Google [Bot] and 47 guests

REMEBER TO CLICK THE LINKS WHEN BUYING FROM VORB SUPPORTERS


  • Wiggle
  • Chain Reaction Cycles
  • GT Bicycles
  • Merlin Cycles
  • ProBikeKit
  • Torpedo7
  • Vorb Shop