Re: Weight Loss

Postby 1bikerider1 on Wed 15/Jul/09 7:21pm

i saw you eat a pastrie on sunday...
1bikerider1
Member for: 10 years 5 months

Postby Simon_K on Wed 15/Jul/09 7:27pm

thorg wrote:

And Mono - If you ever saw a photo of me in my teens, you would not say a thing. I was round, not overweight, not fat, but ROUND! A foot shorter than I am now (at least), and many, many, many Kg heavier.

Mono wasn't always the racing sardine he currently resembles either... ;)

I find my weight fluctuates a lot, mainly when there's another sponge trying to get me to eat crap food or take them out for dinner :satan: Currently just running around a lot at work and finding I'm back into the 1kg a week loss. I think my urban skids at the weekend are helping a bit although a mere hour or two might just be enough(I hope).

I try to keep the food intake moderate and it seems to work.
Simon_K
Member for: 13 years 1 month

Postby Fergie on Wed 15/Jul/09 7:45pm

Fuck, I did too. You little shit!

In my defense those were all I ate in Paris and I lost weight on that trip.
Fergie
"Fat, opinionated and can't ride a bike to save himself. Sounds overqualified to be a coach."
Member for: 12 years 4 months

Postby nzmatto on Thu 16/Jul/09 12:17pm

Fergie wrote:Fuck, I did too. You little shit!

In my defense those were all I ate in Paris and I lost weight on that trip.

Fergie ...number of days without pastry 0, coke lots. :) :) :)
nzmatto
"Cycling changed my life."
Member for: 10 years 2 months

Postby ArjanH on Thu 16/Jul/09 4:15pm

I cannot remember last time I had a coke and I have been trying to cut down on the pastries too.
In fact having read this thread since my last comment/question I am also trying to cut down on the snacking.
I have bought a huge bag of apples instead as I read somewhere that having an apple and a glass of water will make you feel full.
We'll see how that goes before I make further cuts.

Back to my original question though, is there such a thing as too much excersise? I have been doing at least 30 minutes twice every single day of fairly intensive stuff. Should there be a rest day?
ArjanH
Member for: 10 years 3 months

Postby Fergie on Thu 16/Jul/09 5:01pm

All healthy things in moderation. Ideal to have some complete lean protein with every meal as this adds to a feeling of fullness.
Fergie
"Fat, opinionated and can't ride a bike to save himself. Sounds overqualified to be a coach."
Member for: 12 years 4 months

Postby FLATULENTFRIEND on Thu 16/Jul/09 6:41pm

:hmmm: COKE.
The last 2 times I had Coke -

Penultimate time ; 1992? My wife and I (both non coffee etc drinkers) had about half a glass each when we had some friends over that night.
At about 2AM after tossing and turning in bed without sleep we realised it was the Coke keeping us up.

Last time; 2000. I was painting the kitchen etc and a guy came and demonstrated a security system. With that came free Lemonade - except he'd run out and only had Coke - 2 x 2 Litres. I took it and ended up drinking it through the rest of the morning/afternoon.
I don't think I've ever worked so hard for so long in my life - way into the night painting etc.
Probably never slept of course.

Book; read **Belching out the Devil** :satan: by Mark Thompson re the number one business in the world and its strangle hold on the poor etc.
FLATULENTFRIEND
"I'm a Sponsored rider; My Wife Pays me to get out of the house!"
Member for: 10 years 0 months

Postby sifter on Thu 16/Jul/09 6:59pm

I come from a long line of obesity, on both sides of my family... I eat quickly, and can cram down a hell of a lot. Mum used to cook two packets of spaghetti when my bro and I were in our early teens, and I'd knock of one rwo of weetbix every morning (11... toast used to take too long...). That bowl is now my compost bin... Dave and I would also demolish 2L of ice cream in 1.5 sittings. We'd start it together, and he'd finish it after school the next day, before I got home... :hmmm:

The thing that has maintained my weight below about 110kg (I'm a notch under 6'3, and that's what I reckon my body would settle down at) is cycle commuting, the only constant form of exercise I've had in the last 10 years. That's good to about 95kg on its own. I'm currently in the high 80s, and with some management am aiming for under 85kg. It'll be reasonably difficult to get there and stay there...
sifter
Member for: 14 years 11 months

Postby scatter on Thu 16/Jul/09 7:39pm

ArjanH wrote:Back to my original question though, is there such a thing as too much excersise? I have been doing at least 30 minutes twice every single day of fairly intensive stuff. Should there be a rest day?

I don't believe there's such thing as too much exercise unless it is causing you injury or affecting your immune system.

I always factor in one rest day in seven. Generally, it'll be active recovery than just blobbing around doing nothing though

I used to ride trackwork 6 mornings a week. 3hrs of serious work which was intensified on Tues, Wed, Thurs & Sat when I used to ride gallops.
Often used to ride other horses or get out on the roadie in the evenings. Then a decent 3-4hr mtb ride on the weekends.

The key was good sleep and good fuel.
scatter
"The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook"
Member for: 15 years 9 months

Postby nagem on Thu 16/Jul/09 7:47pm

Holy crap...thought you were talking about riding bikes for a minute.
nagem
"Some days gnawing through the leather straps just doesn't seem worthwhile."
Member for: 9 years 7 months

Postby bigJIMMY on Thu 16/Jul/09 8:13pm

at least your not forced to eat ice cream all day everyday. thats what i blame

pastries, pies are my enemy ...hmmmmm..... pies
bigJIMMY
"DID SOMEONE SAY ICE CREAM! Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm"
Member for: 13 years 4 months

Postby ArjanH on Thu 16/Jul/09 9:04pm

Cripes! ... lost a kilo already! 4 Days. Amazing!
I am seriously craving my snacks though.

On another note went for a ride in Whaka tonight, Talk about bog fest! Even Turkish delight was boggy, haven't seen that before.
ArjanH

Postby nagem on Thu 16/Jul/09 9:06pm

Shall I stay home this weekend then?
nagem

Postby ArjanH on Thu 16/Jul/09 9:43pm

http://www.metvuw.com/forecast/forecast.php?type=rain&region=nz&noofdays=5

It dries very quickly around here ... but everything is completely sodden. I would not bother if you have to come a long way until it has been dry for at least 2 days.
ArjanH

Postby nagem on Fri 17/Jul/09 7:48am

Thanks. Not that far but will stay home and play on the pump track. Just got the kid an el cheapo mountain bike and don't want to put him off forever. :)
nagem

Food | Health | Sifting - Latest Posts