Re: Wednesday Work Parties On The New Polhill Tracks. Aro Valley

Postby mudlover/hater on Fri 2/Dec/11 5:41pm

jo wrote:Thats great news. :thumbsup:

:withstupid: Under statement of the century.... Amazing stuff guys!
mudlover/hater
"Hoh. Hoh. Hoh. Now I haf.. a machine gun."
Member for: 7 years 4 months

Postby Oli on Fri 2/Dec/11 9:11pm

Congratulations all!
Oli
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Postby properzel on Tue 6/Dec/11 11:48pm

And another one - Congrets guys!
properzel
Member for: 7 years 5 months

Postby sifter on Wed 7/Dec/11 10:09am

Fantastic :) :thumbsup:
sifter
Member for: 13 years 11 months

Postby gristle on Wed 14/Dec/11 10:37am

Anyone going digging today? Looks like the rain is a little to the west on the radar
gristle
Member for: 10 years 11 months

Postby cstarnes on Wed 14/Dec/11 11:00am

I'm in but Kev is sick today.

Have finished the steeper (west) part of Tranny up to HFling so just the just the last of the east leg to finish.
cstarnes
Member for: 8 years 5 months

Postby gristle on Wed 14/Dec/11 11:06am

Ok, will see you there.
gristle
Member for: 10 years 11 months

Postby sifter on Thu 15/Dec/11 11:09am

Some fantastic news just in from WCC:

The Wellington Marathon Clinic has just donated $5000 to the Polhill/Te Kopahou trail building project! This is a fantastic endorsement of the work being done in this part of the city to create dual-use tracks.

Many thanks to cstarnes and thelongwalk for their ongoing leadership of this project, and to the countless others who contribute via work and/or donations.

Special thanks to the Wellington Marathon Clinic for their generosity and for embracing the dual-use philosophy of Wellington's trail building community.
sifter

Postby jo on Thu 15/Dec/11 11:34am

:thumbsup: Thats some quality appreciation right there - talk about putting their money where their mouth is. :)
:love: to the Marathon Clinic.
jo
"Windy"
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Postby Fango on Thu 15/Dec/11 3:43pm

That's a solid endorsement! Well done to all involved and a big thanks to the Marathon Clinic! :D :D
Fango
Member for: 13 years 4 months

Postby sifter on Thu 15/Dec/11 3:58pm

Fango wrote:That's a solid endorsement! Well done to all involved and a big thanks to the Marathon Clinic! :D :D

Kudos to you too Fango for helping lead the dual-use philosophy. Plus, all your hard work wearing in a decent riding line in the Polhill tracks! :D
sifter

Postby cstarnes on Mon 19/Dec/11 3:01pm

Well, after over 2.5 years of hard graft Transient is finally finished! From a use point of view its been obscenely successful from MTBers as well as runners (hence the Marathon Clinic donation above). 3 things:

1. We are celebrating the finish of the track (and Xmas) this Wed from 3 to 5 at the top of Tranny in the bush about 200m from AF Drive. Will have BBQ and BYO drinks. Will also have a work party at 12.30 to tweak bits of Highbury Fling.

2. In the New Year, workparties will move to Windmill http://tracks.org.nz/track/show/922 and there is a new Vorb thread on that link windmill-wed-lunchtime-work-parties-t115595.html that relates to the Windmill workparties. They are starting at the bottom and working up. We have 2 students being paid and they are at the top working down.

3. Watch this space as new tracks are planned in Polhill.........
cstarnes

Postby mr splodge on Mon 19/Dec/11 4:24pm

Great stuff. I enjoyed my limited time spent digging at the area around the 3 switchbacks when I was unemployed in the spring of 2009. Unfortunately I haven't had much of a chance to get back since (living in the south island hasn't helped). Although I am back in Wellington now so I've ridden the finished product and it is impressive. Well done to all involved! :)
mr splodge

Postby thelongwalk on Mon 19/Dec/11 5:16pm

Yep its been a long dig, thx for all those that helped, be great to see a few of you from 3 or after work on wednesday for a beer & BBQ.

The other big project for the next year will be armouring carparts X so its a good place to ride in winter. We'll try to keep its current charms as much as possible.

As Craig said, we will be back to polhill soon. New track ideas include 1-3 k in length and featuring grade 3 two way, grade 4-5 technical down and a super D.
thelongwalk
Member for: 8 years 7 months

Postby BrokenKonaRider on Tue 20/Dec/11 7:17am

Congrats and thanks to the builders and organisers of these tracks. They're fantastic to ride up and down, in all conditions, and appear well loved by all sorts of people.
BrokenKonaRider
"Pants"
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Cycling | Lower North Island | New Zealand | Regions | Trail Building | Wellington Region - Latest Posts