Warm Gear ?

Postby comadi on Thu 31st May 8:25pm

So what's the oil on good winter riding warm gear ?

I've just got a semi decent skull cap, overshoes, and neck warmer.
My upper body is my biggest problem, as I like to crank the pace a bit on my late avo / evening rides.
Then of course I crack a sweat and the chill bites on a wet sweaty body.
I have an LG jacket and wore 2 rather than 1 thermal tops under it on Wednesday's ride with the same result.
I guess if I cut the throttle and trundle I wont sweat and then wont get as cold; but bugger that :lol:
comadi
Member for: 2 years 2 months

Re: Warm Gear ?

Postby jo on Fri 1st Jun 10:40am

Whats your thermal top? and which LG jacket?
And - for the purposes of elimination I'm assuming you're not riding home from work with a backpack. And because it depends abit on climate - which city/town?

For me I figure I want to duct as much moisture away from the skin, and ventilate well to evaporate said moisture. Evaporating on the skin = cold, evaporating on fabric less so. It might be good to try a layer that is much less insulating, but good at wicking, against your skin. Then an insulating layer.

The alternative is something like polypropylene with a good shell jacket where you get sweaty, but you're warm and sweaty rather than cold and sweaty. :rolleyes:
jo
"Windy"
Member for: 15 years 6 months

Postby BrokenKonaRider on Fri 1st Jun 12:31pm

Sounds strange to be riding hard, sweating, but still cold. I though the point of sweat was to cool the body. Do you mean you get cold when you stop? Put another layer on when you stop.

My riding layers when bone cold southerlies hit: merino long sleeve base, fleece gillet, ground effect jacket, merino skull cap.
BrokenKonaRider
"Pants"
Member for: 13 years 4 months

Postby philstar on Fri 1st Jun 1:43pm

BrokenKonaRider wrote:Sounds strange to be riding hard, sweating, but still cold. I though the point of sweat was to cool the body. Do you mean you get cold when you stop? Put another layer on when you stop.

My riding layers when bone cold southerlies hit: merino long sleeve base, fleece gillet, ground effect jacket, merino skull cap.

sweat is also a buy product of consuming bodyfat, but i am guessing it is a problem with latencey in the system; go hard get hot (while dry) and sweaty, get wet, get cold (cos once you are wet hard to get warm).

I wonder if more wind proof would help and turn your self into a sauna?

other option is not to put the jacket on till you are warmed up, or something like that.
philstar
"misanthropic"
Member for: 12 years 9 months

Postby comadi on Fri 1st Jun 8:43pm

Thanks all,
I'm riding in Rotorua, 1 to 2 hr rides.
Thermal tops are polypro & Merrino. LG jacket is a rain / wind one, so in summing up I think I'm over doing things and getting the sauna effect :rolleyes:
I'll drop the jacket (unless it's raining) and try some perforated fabric tops I have.
Might have to start my rides being a lot cooler, then wait for the body heat to dissipate.
In other words 'harden up' :lol:
comadi

Postby Velocipedestrian on Fri 1st Jun 10:11pm

comadi wrote:Might have to start my rides being a lot cooler, then wait for the body heat to dissipate.

This.
Last night's ride (low single digits Wellington southerly) was bloody cold for the first 5 minutes, then fine for the next hour and a half.

Can be worth bringing backup layers in case a mechanical / crash / etc leaves you sitting for a while.
Velocipedestrian
"Now bicycles were never made for pale green pants to ride 'em. Especially spooky pale green pants with nobody inside 'em."
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Postby comadi on Fri 1st Jun 10:28pm

Velocipedestrian wrote:
comadi wrote:Can be worth bringing backup layers in case a mechanical / crash / etc leaves you sitting for a while.

Good advice :thumbsup:
comadi

Cycling | Cycling Clothing - Latest Posts