Wanted - Seatpost Shim 28.6 To 30.0

Postby Trail on Tue 30/Aug/11 1:42pm

Anyone got one that they would like to sell me?
Last edited by Trail on Thu 1/Sep/11 3:13pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trail
"Concentrating on technique"
Member for: 9 years 2 months

Re: Wanted - Seatpost Shim 26.8 To 30.0

Postby Simonius_Titius on Tue 30/Aug/11 6:17pm

A steerer shim of 31.8 - 28.6 = 3.2mm, same thickness as you need. Just in case you have a couple of spare steerer shims and feel the need for a frustrating bodge. :p
Simonius_Titius
"The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off. - Gloria Steinem"
Member for: 8 years 0 months

Postby Trail on Thu 1/Sep/11 2:42pm

hmmm...

No steerer shims in my collection. Might have to get a seatpost shim ordered in for me...
Trail

Postby Trail on Thu 1/Sep/11 2:44pm

so if i can find a seatpost shim of the same thickness and the diameter is not far off, should I bodge one of those in there?
Trail

Re: Wanted - Seatpost Shim 28.6 To 30.0

Postby Trail on Thu 1/Sep/11 3:14pm

oh arse... it is a 28.6 not a 26.8. Have changed title...

Still does not seem to be a common shim...

27.2 to 28.6 should work if anyone has one?
Trail

Re: Wanted - Seatpost Shim 28.6 To 30.0

Postby Simonius_Titius on Thu 1/Sep/11 5:59pm

It needs to fit pretty closely (0.1mm) or the frame can develop a crack. That is for steel frames, I guess alu & carboonium would be even fussier.

Also, or shot-in seatstays might dent (steel) or perhaps crack (alu) the seat tube if the post is too narrow to support it. I have come across a good steel frame with strangely large lumps inside the seat tube where the stays attached, maybe that was why.

Fizzy drink can shims can work very nicely on a roadie but could be a pain on a MTB unless you can secure them in the frame with some kind of Loctite perhaps. Exposed shim is cutty.

Fizzy walls are about 0.15 - 0.2mm thick so the diameter increment is 0.3 - 0.4mm per layer. That gives a fair chance that a stack of fizz shims can be made to fit, especially if you try different brands.

Using more than one thickness is more of a fiddle. Wrapping more than one turn around the post can work on a roadie but if you need to adjust the post quickly you need separate shims to let the post slide inside them.
Simonius_Titius
"The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off. - Gloria Steinem"
Member for: 8 years 0 months

Bicycle Repair | Classifieds | Cycling - Latest Posts