Wanted : Older Road Front Brake

Postby turbopete on Sun 27/Mar/11 10:01pm

I bought this old road bike and the front brake is a bit (lot!) bent, so I'm not so keen on riding it round Wellington. Does anyone have something similar for sale? I think it's 57mm drop, has an allen nut on the back.
Thanks
Pete
IMG_2504cr.JPG
turbopete
Member for: 12 years 4 months

Re: Wanted : Older Road Front Brake

Postby Simonius_Titius on Sun 27/Mar/11 11:19pm

Do you want to keep it single-pivot? Aand do you want to keep a non-aero (non- return spring) lever?

If you don't need the clearance for mudguard & big tyre you would get better braking by fitting a dropper bolt so you can use shorter reach calipers.

I only have the 44-52mm Dia-Compe 5583 (often sold as Suntour) on the parts list but there must be longer ones in the shed, probably with no QR.

There is a box of nasty long reach brakes that look like they came off hybrid bikes or cheap BMX, might be too long though.
Simonius_Titius
"The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off. - Gloria Steinem"
Member for: 8 years 0 months

Postby turbopete on Mon 28/Mar/11 10:16pm

Cheers, I thought these were aero hoods? But this is my first road bike for a while!
Ideally I'm after something the same as I have.
I'll probly keep the same tyre size and no mudguards, so could look for dropper bolt.
I think I'll have enough power with long reach, I'm not doing anything too flash, would be keen for a look at your nasty long reach ones
Failing that could buy some dual pivot brakes (new maybe) but would they work with these levers?
IMG_2515cr.JPG
turbopete

Postby Mr_Bob on Mon 28/Mar/11 11:05pm

I may have some old single pivot shimano 600 road callipers.
sound like what you're after?
Mr_Bob
"Pedal!"
Member for: 12 years 6 months

Postby Simonius_Titius on Tue 29/Mar/11 2:20am

Great, you already have aero levers. Aero levers pretty much coincided with the introduction of dual pivot. They give 15% more leverage and I guess 15% shorter cable pull.

Mr Bob's 600 calipers could be just right for you, I think a lot of them were made in the "medium" reach version you need and they have a QR.
Perfection might be the Shimano 105 BR-1051, I think it is the only single pivot Shimano made for the SLR levers you have.

I think Tektro make some cheap dual pivot medium reach calipers. They might fit but they are very shiny, they could make the rest of the bike look tatty. Shimano made some long ones too.
Simonius_Titius
"The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off. - Gloria Steinem"

Postby turbopete on Tue 29/Mar/11 7:37pm

Great thanks for all that info! Mr Bob's sound good, are you in wellington?
turbopete

Postby Mr_Bob on Tue 29/Mar/11 11:37pm

Tauranga, But I can courier them.
I'll get a pic and try to measure approx the distance that the arms have from the frame mount bolt to the lowest position that the brake pad sits tomorrow.
Mr_Bob
"Pedal!"

Postby Simonius_Titius on Wed 30/Mar/11 2:44am

'snot written on the back of the arm?
Simonius_Titius

Postby Mr_Bob on Wed 30/Mar/11 8:00am

the brakes are not in front of me, i'll eyeball them later today
Mr_Bob
"Pedal!"

Classifieds | Cycling | Road Cycling - Latest Posts